• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    What do they constitute as income? Does VA disability benefit (Which is combat related and not taxed) become included? What about the CH 33 GIBill benefits? - Caveat, If you don't know I understand, cause its complex.
    Thanks!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    What do they constitute as income? Does VA disability benefit (Which is combat related and not taxed) become included? What about the CH 33 GIBill benefits? - Caveat, If you don't know I understand, cause its complex.
    Thanks!

Line 37 + line 8b on the front page of your tax return (form 1040)

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    The problem is health care is such a special interest and complex subject that it is tough. There are some very common sense things that should have been tried first. I am most opposed to ObamaCare because of the influence of Fed over State Rights. This should have been fought by each State within itself, not at the Fed level.

The problem with lowering responsibility to the state level is the issue of undue influence. Insurance companies (or any large corporation) often span multiple states, regions, and even countries. They can afford to pressure for legislation favorable to them, even if it is detrimental to the citizens or even the state itself. And it is much easier to do this on a local or state level, than a more visible national one.This concept is true for many cases and without higher oversight, becomes even more difficult the smaller the scale. If you want to see what happens with a weak central government, read a history book about what working conditions were like during the late 19th and early 20th century. No one wants to go back to the era of Robber Barons again. With private armies, and wealthy individuals who would run cities, counties and even states like little fiefdoms.

Consider a small community with a single large employer, Most of the people in the town work there, and most of the taxes that the county takes in come from it. Without higher (State/Federal) levels of control, the company could make egregious demands on the community by holding their livelihood ransom. "Well, if you don't pass a law lowering the minimum wage locally, and doing away with some of the environmental regulations...we'll simply move." And if EVERYWHERE was like this, you get a downward wage pressure (as happened during the aforementioned time period). You really can't put everything on the States, they simply do not have the influence (especially the smaller/poorer ones) to adequately rein in these huge, powerful conglomerates, and the wealthy billionaires that control them.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Ok guys rates are up. Let me know if you want to see numbers for your circumstance.

If you own a biz it would make sense to look at some options.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited:

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    for a young family of 4

"Unsubsidized annual health insurance premium in 2014: $10,708"

thats the silver plan with 4,500 out of pocket deductable

thats if you qualify for it

employees who are offered insurance through work are not eligible for subsidized exchange coverage, so long as their insurance meets specified requirements. You would only be eligible for subsidized exchange coverage if your income is between 1 and 4 times the federal poverty level and you would have to pay more than 9.5% of your household income for your own coverage through the insurance offered by your employer

so if you have a job that offers insurance that costs less that 9.5% of your income then you get nothing.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    If you have specific questions please post a message and I would be glad to answer them. Below are some links to resources about ObamaCare.

what I want to know is if doctors are being forced to accept the insurance from the exchanges or if there will be a new list of accepting providers.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    OK so I am uploading a rate comparison for you guys to see. Let me premise this:

1) I was a big believer ObamaCare would fail, after reviewing rates and comparisons I believe in MD it can work.

2) Attached is a comparison of groups I administrate consisting of the most common plans that small groups (under 50 employees) sign up for. All plans have a minimum high deductible of $1200 or $1500 deductible. None are PPO plans.

3)No insurance / government can force a doctor to participate in an insurance company HOWEVER if the doctor wants to be in the HMO network of carrier X, he can not opt out of plans. He has to opt out of the network all together or take all people that are enrolled in that network, whether its Group, Individual, in the exchange or out of the exchange.

4) Some believe that this will lead to a socialized medical system ( it could) however in its current state this makes sense.

5) Where it SUCKS is that if you are an individual under 35 on the individual market now (not group insurance) your rates WILL GO UP. The key to making this work in the long run is to get as many young people on the plan as possible.

6) The only carrier it makes sense to use in MD is CareFirst. All the other carriers are crazy high. These rates are UNSUBSIDIZED.

Attachments

• HEALTH COMPS.pdf
      22.1 KB · Views: 90

cdstraw

Oct 9, 2008
    Frederick County, MD
    jpo183 - Thanks for doing some of this leg work for us. I don't have a dog in this fight as I am retired military and my wife has covered us very well with her work medical plan.

However, I do have friends and other family that this information will help! I appreciate your honest assessment's, especially which carriers are better to use. I know from previous experience that health provider selection can make a big difference in unexpected health insurance bills!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom