Dicks Sports in Columbia does not sell firearmss.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I think I remember that dicks sports had a firearm section in columbia a few years back. I went there yesterday and they do not sell firearms anymore. They do not even take orders off of their website and have it delieverd to their store. Dont really care that i have to take my business elsewhere, but it seemed pretty strange that Dicks in MC would have guns and Dicks in HC does not and cannot even order it for you.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I think I remember that dicks sports had a firearm section in columbia a few years back. I went there yesterday and they do not sell firearms anymore. They do not even take orders off of their website and have it delieverd to their store. Dont really care that i have to take my business elsewhere, but it seemed pretty strange that Dicks in MC would have guns and Dicks in HC does not and cannot even order it for you.

Now think about what you are asking. You aren't "Choosing Civility" right now!
    Those are nasty things to have around in this cultural mecca.:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it in the mall (I wonder why)? When Sports Authority stopped selling guns and hunting gear, I stopped shopping there.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Its Columbia, you cant even purchase a fish hook or a fishing rod. Its to protect the children.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    That DSG stopped selling guns at least three years ago.

Longer than that. They closed the Lodge (hunting, fishing, & camping dept) before I moved out of state in July 2011. I want to guess April or so was when they eliminated the lodge for remodeling and didn't bring it back.

Even in liberal NJ, the local Dick's sells guns and ammo, but all the ammo is behind the counter versus MD where all the bulk shotgun shells were out on the shelves.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I thought I heard that Dick's in Columbia got rid of the firearms section was they were getting killed due to their proximity to Bass Pro at Arundel Mills.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

yeah, this happened before newtown by about two years, they were so freaking eager to cave it was ridiculous, there was not even political pressure at that time.

Do you know why they did it?

I talked to management after they shut down their gun section, to ask if they would still sell ammunition, and a few other questions I had.

Basically what was said is that a soccer mom came in and told them that they shouldn't sell guns in a store that sells sporting equipment for children.

The store told her, politely, to eat a dick.

She came back with the PTA and all her fellow columbia soccer moms who said they didn't feel safe shopping at a place with 'guns and explosives'

They apparently said that it was only a matter of time before some guns were stolen, and blah blah blah

The store owner caved, and told me in an email that he had never been comforable selling guns at that location anyways, and since it accounted for such a small amount of his business he was happy to make the decision to not sell 'dangerous arms and ammunition' any more.

again, I reiterate this was WAY before newtown, they were just begging to capitulate. The only time I'll go there is if I have some kind of coupon that I know will have them losing money.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I thought I heard that Dick's in Columbia got rid of the firearms section was they were getting killed due to their proximity to Bass Pro at Arundel Mills.

bass pro is no closer to that dicks than it is to a multitude of other places that sell guns and ammo.

You'll notice that the Columbia Wal-mart does not sell guns either- the columbia PTA and soccer moms I think just make it their mission to meddle.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    I'm certain that one of two things transpired:

1 - Former HoCo Executive, Ken Ulman, pressured them out to stop selling firearms

OR

2 - Just not enough business to support keeping the licensing and insurance for all those guns.

Damn shame if you asked me. I shop there for my daughter's lacrosse stuff, other than that I'll talk my business to a reputable dealer like {INSERT ANY 2A FFL DEALER}

Besides with a name like Dicks....what do you really expect? lol

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I'm certain that one of two things transpired:

1 - Former HoCo Executive, Ken Ulman, pressured them out to stop selling firearms

OR

2 - Just not enough business to support keeping the licensing and insurance for all those guns.

Damn shame if you asked me. I shop there for my daughter's lacrosse stuff, other than that I'll talk my business to a reputable dealer like {INSERT ANY 2A FFL DEALER}

Besides with a name like Dicks....what do you really expect? lol

Robey was/is super anti gun as well.

He was police, he should know better. That guy is a freaking mushroom knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom