• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I thought I'd share a story about how I almost got hosed today in an effort to convince everyone that we need to spend money on reference books if we're going to spend a lot of money on firearms.

I'm particularly fond of Argentine Mausers, so I am always on the lookout for a nice one. When I bought my first Model 1891 and was looking spend bank on a Model 1909, I decided that I needed to buy Colin Webster's book on Argentine Mausers. It was $70, which was a lot, but I figured it was a good investment.

So, fast forward to today. I've been watching an Argentine Model 1891 "cavalry carbine" on the famous auction site. It is a very nice looking carbine. The receiver was made by Lowe, so I knew it had to be old. The metal is almost perfect, the wood is beautiful, it has all the marks you'd expect to see on this kind of firearm, and the serial number on the stock matched the numbers on the receiver and the barrel. Given the activity and price of the auction, I felt pretty excited that I would be able to win it.

As I was getting ready to bid, though, I noticed that the nose cap just didn't look right to me. It didn't have any ears around the front sight (see pic), and I had always seen those on a cavalry carbine (see pic). I pulled out Webster's book and started poring over the pictures and text. The first thing I noticed was that Webster reports that no carbine was ever made in that serial number range - not by Lowe and not by DWM. I then read that Argentina sold a bunch of unassembled carbine parts to Peru in 1901 and Peru agreed to retain the numbering system, so I thought maybe this carbine was one of them. I started to get really excited. I then remembered, though, that the receiver was made by Lowe, and a review of Webster's book showed me that Lowe stopped making carbines in 1895 and stopped making rifles in 1896. So, I knew that my theory couldn't be right. Based on the manufacturer and the serial number, the only conclusion I could reach was that the rifle was made as a long rifle in 1893, and someone, somewhere cut it down to carbine length. Webster does say that Peru did cut down some of the long rifles it received in 1901, but, again, that likely didn't happen with a Lowe-made rifle. I then started seeing other things that I had missed and that proved I was right. First, I noticed that the rear sight leaf went out to 2,000 meters (see pic), which is what the long rifle had. The carbine's rear sight leaf only went out to 1,400 meters (see pic). Second, the butt stock had a sling swivel aligned perpendicular to the bottom of the stock (see pic), which matched a long rifle, but carbines have a fixed "saddle ring" that runs parallel to the bottom of the stock (see pic). Third, my instinct on the nose cap was right - the nose cap on all cavalry carbines had ears. Fourth, the hand guard did not extend all the way to the lower barrel band like a carbine should - the hand guard matched exactly the hand guard on a long rifle. Finally, the "2" in the bolt's serial number appeared to have a stretched look (see pic), which, based on all of the above, led me to conclude that someone had bent the bolt to look like a carbine bolt.

So, I thanked my lucky stars and let the auction go. It just sold for $325, after 26 bids. I know that's not a ton of money, and maybe that's a good buy for someone who just wants a deer gun, but, as a collector looking to built a proper collection, I would have considered that a big mistake. Buy and read your books, because caveat emptor applies.

Attachments

• pix381982026.jpg
      pix381982026.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 341
    • ArgiMauser6874(16).JPG
      ArgiMauser6874(16).JPG
      23.3 KB · Views: 341
    • pix673923443.jpg
      pix673923443.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 336
    • pix525965694.jpg
      pix525965694.jpg
      30.6 KB · Views: 335
    • pix877299349.jpg
      pix877299349.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 330
    • pix313270136.jpg
      pix313270136.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 332
    • pix957863531.jpg
      pix957863531.jpg
      39 KB · Views: 336

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yup, good to study up and know what you are looking at, that is a cut down long rifle.
    The carbines are sweet little rifles, have an early cavalry,
    P2112564.jpg

and a later Engineers carbine which were converted from Cavalry carbines in the 1930's if I remember right,
    1891argis005.jpg

I feel the 1891 Argentines are some of the nicest Mausers ever made,just something about the way they look.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    and a later Engineers carbine which were converted from Cavalry carbines in the 1930's if I remember right,
    1891argis005.jpg

I feel the 1891 Argentines are some of the nicest Mausers ever made,just something about the way they look.

The Engineer carbines were made in 1931 by converting 5,043 cavalry carbines. The conversion consisted of adding the upper and lower bayonet attachments, moving the rear saddle ring from the butt stock to the left side of the stock and covering or filling the two screw holes, and giving the metal a black matte finish.

My best shooter is a Model 1891.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    $250 Spent on a book could save you thousands of dollars .

I bought dad a Clawson's 1911 book a few years ago , best money I ever spent before getting into the world of old 1911s .

Jul 1, 2012
    "First buy books - then buy guns"

Going to the refs has saved me many a time. And I've ignored the warning signs and gotten screwed a few times too.

Also joining and participating in a forum dedicated to the specific type(s) of firearms of interest will be a big help... leveraging off of "old-timer" and Subject Matter Expert knowledge is a good thing, and then you can pass that along to the next collector.

Finally, develop a good relationship with honest, knowledgeable dealers (yes they are out there) that can find stuff for you. Unless you're Mawkie you won't be able to see everything out there yourself. Yes, they'll take a cut but there's a tremendous amount of time and effort involved in building contacts, then finding and acquiring the good stuff and IMHO it's worth it in the long run.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Finally, develop a good relationship with honest, knowledgeable dealers (yes they are out there) that can find stuff for you. Unless you're Mawkie you won't be able to see everything out there yourself. Yes, they'll take a cut but there's a tremendous amount of time and effort involved in building contacts, then finding and acquiring the good stuff and IMHO it's worth it in the long run.

No kidding. Mawkie's C&Radar is amazing!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Excellent advice and thanks for sharing your experience, lots of good tips for newbies and reminders for us old farts too! I've got a big library of ref books and bookmarked sites on the web to help guide me when warning flags start to pop up. Plus it helps to have a network of C&R friends to act as second eyes when you see something interesting but have doubts.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Every time Mawkie gets a new C$R, a blind man can see, a deaf man can hear, and someone in a wheelchair gets up and dances! That guy digs up some good chit.

Jul 1, 2012
    Excellent advice and thanks for sharing your experience, lots of good tips for newbies and reminders for us old farts too! .... Plus it helps to have a network of C&R friends to act as second eyes when you see something interesting but have doubts.

This too ... and willing to point stuff out to you that they either can't afford at the moment, have already or doesn't fit in their own collection. A case where karma truly does come into play.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    This too ... and willing to point stuff out to you that they either can't afford at the moment, have already or doesn't fit in their own collection. A case where karma truly does come into play.

It is nice to know people like that. There are a few people on the specialty boards at GB that would rather kill their mothers than post about a nice item that's up for sale and in which, for whatever reason, they are not interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I can not explain how important I believe reference material is. Fortunately there is a lot of it available both in print and in places such as this.

I'll give an example. At a gun show in Wilmington a few months back I happened upon a gentleman selling a variety of Mosins, one of which was a Bannerman. After seeing Yellowsled's Bannerman I want to own one, plain and simple. I find it to be an interesting Mosin variant. I consulted the thread that Yellowsled wrote back when he bought his; I was a little hesitant because of bubba's history of chopping up Mosins. I knew the blackened bolt head was correct but I'll be damned, no cartouche on the stock like their should have been. The recess and hole for the sling swivel in the bottom of the stock also made me doubt and sure enough I was right. Someone had replaced the stock on the rifle. I did finally manage to get that information out of the seller but he didn't seem too willing to reveal that.

Lesson learned, do your homework! I bought the book on FN49s so that next time I go for one I will be ready.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I can not explain how important I believe reference material is. Fortunately there is a lot of it available both in print and in places such as this.

I'll give an example. At a gun show in Wilmington a few months back I happened upon a gentleman selling a variety of Mosins, one of which was a Bannerman. After seeing Yellowsled's Bannerman I want to own one, plain and simple. I find it to be an interesting Mosin variant. I consulted the thread that Yellowsled wrote back when he bought his; I was a little hesitant because of bubba's history of chopping up Mosins. I knew the blackened bolt head was correct but I'll be damned, no cartouche on the stock like their should have been. The recess and hole for the sling swivel in the bottom of the stock also made me doubt and sure enough I was right. Someone had replaced the stock on the rifle. I did finally manage to get that information out of the seller but he didn't seem too willing to reveal that.

Lesson learned, do your homework! I bought the book on FN49s so that next time I go for one I will be ready.

:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom