• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I recently acquired a Vortex Spitfire 1x optic for my Special Weapons SP-10 rifle.

IMG_0957.jpg

It is, IMHO, pretty sweet. I selected it for the following reasons:
    1. No 5.56x45-specific BDC to confuse me. Dual circles with a dot would supposedly let me aim fast, but gives me a precise (1MOA) aiming point.
    2. Vortex lifetime warranty.
    3. Could be mounted very low, unlike the Burris and Primary Arms prisms. You can see from the picture that lower is better for my setup.
    4. Has the etched "always-available" reticle. The irons on the SP-10 are worthless, so I wanted that additional level of reliability without breaking the bank.

I think, optimally, I would have preferred 2x or 2.5x magnification, but I can live with 1x on a 9mm rifle - especially one that I don't particularly think is combat-grade.

I was very impressed with the out-of-the-box experience. It feels solid (but not heavy!), and the build quality seems quite high. Glass was similarly very good - I am very impressed with the glass coming on the higher-end Chinese optics these days. Reticle brightness was pretty good, but seemed like settings 3 and 4 were roughly the same.

Initial impressions on the range were bad, however. This thing wouldn't zero at 25yds! Adjustments were easy to make, though - the caps function as the adjustment tools. At first, I thought my problem was that I was over-adjusting - clicks are 1MOA, which is a bit coarse. But I was just getting nowhere even when making small movements. I thought it was my ammo (147gr 9mm subsonic RN), but that didn't seem to be it, either/ Eventually, I consulted the manual... and noticed a little problem.

I HAD THE DAMN THING MOUNTED BACKWARDS.

Unlike a magnified optic, it was real easy to mount it the wrong way. So, I flipped it around, reset it back to the middle of the windage adjustment range, and had it zeroed in about 10 rounds. This made me feel stupid, but the optic performed with distinction from then on out. The reticle was indeed very good for precision shots, and let me get on the target quite fast. The eye box is super generous, and I had no eye relief issues. I needed to crank the brightness to five to see the reticle light up on a sunny day with the sun shining right down on my target, but it did the job.

Suffice it to say, I'm pretty happy with my choice. Aimsurplus is selling them for $250 with coupon code, which was the lowest price I could find online.

IMG_0958.jpg

I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good pistol caliber optic, but is looking for something other than a simple reflex sight.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Nice review. You're not alone on the mounting the sight backwards. I saw a review on youtube and the guy who did the review tape the video with the sight backwards and he didn't realize it until later.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks for the excellent review.

You are a bigger man than most, admitting you had it backwards. Heck, just doing the review is more than most are willing or able to do.

For an smg, I think I would have stuck with irons, or a reflex.

I'm interested in the Primary Arms mini 4x optic. For an AR or 308. About the same price, just fixed 4x.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm interested in the Primary Arms mini 4x optic. For an AR or 308. About the same price, just fixed 4x.
    I have the PA 2.5x, and I am a big fan. My problem is that I'm an SBR guy, and not a lot of people make BDC optics that deal with SBRs well - especially in pistol calibers.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Thanks for taking the time to review the Spitfire. I love Vortex and Leupold and have been hooked on Leupold Prismatics for the past two years. Seems every build of mine gets one...or a TRS-25 until I can afford the Prismatic. I'll definitely check out the Spitfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom