• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Frederick

(e)

Dangerous Weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a person may not carry a dangerous weapon on any public way, sidewalk, or other public property within five hundred (500) feet of an event [parade, etc] permitted pursuant to this Chapter. Law enforcement officers, members of the Armed Forces and National Guard, and uniformed members of an honor guard of a recognized civic or fraternal organization may carry dangerous weapons provided that such persons are acting lawfully.

(Ord. No. G-10-06, § I, 5-6-10)
    Esqappellate, is that the City or the County?

And, do you read that as "...may not carry...on any public way within 500ft of an event, sidewalk within 500ft of an event, or other public property within 500ft of an event..."?
    Or does that read as "...may not carry...on any public way or sidewalk or other public property within 500ft of an event..."?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Esqappellate, is that the City or the County?

And, do you read that as "...may not carry...on any public way within 500ft of an event, sidewalk within 500ft of an event, or other public property within 500ft of an event..."?
    Or does that read as "...may not carry...on any public way or sidewalk or other public property within 500ft of an event..."?

City, IIRC. Best to double check. I read it as banning carrying within 500 feet of the event itself.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I'm sorry. I'm coming late to the party here. But it appears by my read that Montgomery County prohibits concealed carry for self defense purposes. Am I correct in my understanding of this?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Only part of Mo Co. I know of that has any firearms law is Rockville. It's in the municode but I don't feel like finding it. Not sure when it was enacted.

Maybe Broasdside can look it up.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Montgomery County:
    Sec. 57-10. Keeping guns on person or in vehicles.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to have upon his person, concealed or exposed, or in a motor vehicle where it is readily available for use, any gun designed to use explosive ammunition unless:

(a) Lawful mission. Such person is then engaged upon a lawful mission for which it is necessary to carry a gun upon his person; or

(b) Special guard, special police, etc. Such person is employed as a special guard, special police officer or special detective and has been lawfully deputized by the sheriff for the county, or has been appointed a constable in the county, or has been licensed under the laws of the state, should such a law be enacted, to carry such gun and then is on or in the immediate vicinity of the premises of any employer whose occupation lawfully requires the employment of a person carrying a gun while in the discharge of the duties of such employment; or

(c) Military service. Such person is then lawfully engaged in military service or as a duly authorized peace officer; or

(d) Hunting, target practice, etc. Such person is engaged in lawful hunting, drill, training or target practice on property of which he is the owner or lessee or on property with the prior permission of the owner or lessee thereof; or

(e) Going to or returning from hunting, target practice, etc. Such person is engaged in going to or from lawful hunting, drill training or target practice, or in delivering such gun to or carrying it from a gunsmith or repairman, or is engaged in any other lawful transfer of possession; provided, that such person shall be on or traveling upon a public highway or property of which he is the owner or lessee or on property with the prior permission of the owner or lessee thereof; provided further, that such gun shall not be loaded with explosive ammunition. (1981 L.M.C., ch. 42, § 1; 2001 L.M.C., ch.11, § 1.)

I took this from the first page of this thread.

It could just be my reading, but I do not see an exception for someone with a permit for self-defense purposes.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Broadside said:
    I took this from the first page of this thread.

It could just be my reading, but I do not see an exception for someone with a permit for self-defense purposes.

Always check the source, just in case the law/ordinance has been updated.

I can't remember where I found the county code...

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    If that is the current code and it is preempted, I guess we need to know the definition of "lawful purpose".

Can municipal laws override state laws in Maryland?

I think you could make an argument (not that I want to be the test case) that with Judge Legg's ruling self defense now qualifies as a "lawful mission".

So if the MoCo code does override state law (which I really doubt is true), then one could make the argument that it is legal to carry open or concealed in MoCo without a permit.

Could you imagine the look on Frosch's face when a hundred people start to walk around his district while open carrying? :lol2:

Remember, I am not a lawyer. none of the above should be taken as legal advice.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD has preemption. Statute 4-209. But there is the exception for laws in force before 1-1-85. That's why the date is important

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    swinokur said:
    MD has preemption. Statute 4-209. But there is the exception for laws existed before 1-1-85. That's why the date is important

FIFY

If an antigun law existed before 1/1/1985. The local municipality can keep changing/amending it in present time, which 4-209 would still grandfather it. :mad54:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Always check the source, just in case the law/ordinance has been updated.

I can't remember where I found the county code...

Here is the whole section. Note the reference to has been licensed by the state in 57-10 and 57-11 which expressly exempts from its coverage permit holders. Note as well that the bar in 57-10 applies to "any gun designed to use explosive
    ammunition'
    Now, I assume that most handguns are not designed to use "explosive ammunition" But please correct me if I am wrong...

Attachments

• montgomeryCountyCodech57_weapons.pdf
      191.8 KB · Views: 177

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Here is the whole section. Note the reference to has been licensed by the state in 57-10 and 57-11 which expressly exempts from its coverage permit holders. Note as well that the bar in 57-10 applies to "any gun designed to use explosive
    ammunition'
    Now, I assume that most handguns are not designed to use "explosive ammunition" But please correct me if I am wrong...

Incendiary tracer rounds are available in handgun calibers.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Here is the whole section. Note the reference to has been licensed by the state in 57-10 and 57-11 which expressly exempts from its coverage permit holders. Note as well that the bar in 57-10 applies to "any gun designed to use explosive ammunition' Now, I assume that most handguns are not designed to use "explosive ammunition" But please correct me if I am wrong...
    explosives

propellent

:innocent0

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Which would include all ammo thus rendering the modifier "explosive" superfluous indeed since any handgun is designed to use ammunition the whole phrase "explosive ammunition" is rendered superfluous unless the phrase refers to a particular type of ammo that has an exploding projectile. Consult your lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom