• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Problem with ordering stuff online with Home Depot; is that your merchandise will be beat to shite when it arrives.

I ordered a water heater from them not long ago. When I went to pick it up; it looked like the shipping company took a bat to it.

No thanks, :rolleyes:

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I bought online from Tractor Supply. If HD's policy is the same, the drop it at the curb and leave. Thankfully, my buddy has a Bobcat. They are some heavy mfs.

Thanks a bunch for posting this lax. I've been looking for something under a grand with free shipping for weeks and your timing was perfect.

Just ordered one and will have it delivered curbside. From there I've got some folks to help me get it to its final resting place.

The ONLY place I'm allowed to keep it is inside the garage.

Any special preparations I should make (other than dessicants)? Should I put it directly on the concrete floor?

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Thanks a bunch for posting this lax. I've been looking for something under a grand with free shipping for weeks and your timing was perfect.

Just ordered one and will have it delivered curbside. From there I've got some folks to help me get it to its final resting place.

Any special preparations I should make (other than dessicants)? Should I put it directly on the concrete floor?

In the same boat at my soon-to-be house. Curious to hear others thoughts on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I just noticed my Black and Decker workmate is rusting in my garage. Now while I never oiled it like a gun, or surrounded it with dessicant, it never gets wet either. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Although mine isn't directly on concrete, I had a horse stall mat cut to fit at southern states and put my safe on top of it. They have it on big rolls, and will cut any length They have a couple different widths to choose from, 3 and 4 feet if I remember correctly. It was cheap too.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    That looks like a good deal! Tempting, but no place to put it right now.

To move them, instead of dragging dead weight, use leverage and a "tossing" motion (seriously, as described by a safe mover) to get it onto a series of several 1-1/2" pvc pipe sections as rollers to roll and direct it where you want it to go. Slow and careful.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    To move them, instead of dragging dead weight, use leverage and a "tossing" motion (seriously, as described by a safe mover) to get it onto a series of several 1-1/2" pvc pipe sections as rollers to roll and direct it where you want it to go. Slow and careful.

I have mine in the laundry room and the washing machine overflowed. I rocked mine back and forth, with help, and put 2x4's under each side until I could slide a $15 harbor freight furniture mover under it. Be extra careful with fingers and hands. Same technique, I pulled out the mover and turned it on it's side and sanded and painted the bottom. I do not have a good technique for stairs to share with you.

I am not familiar with the Buffalo brand but I think shipping 500 pounds for free is spectacular.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I kept my safe in a garage in th SF Bay Area. I kept the handguns in plastic bags and sprayed liquid wrench in the bag. ( trick I learned from my gunsmith uncle) The long guns I coated with a naval ordinance gel including the bores. ( it gave a coat like wax but not as hard) Bottom line I had to clean them when I used them but they never rusted. Maybe this safe is more airtight but the one I owned was not and SF air is damp especially in winter.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Buy a workout mat and cut it to the size of the safe. Once you have it in place, bolt the safe to the floor using at least 3" long lags/concrete fasteners.

Don't give the bad guys any additional leverage to get under the safe to pry it from the floor.

If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. These precautions are only going to prevent the honest crooks from stealing it.

As far as rust prevention, a heavy layer of good gun rust preventer. A dehumidify heat rod or 2. Anything else you can thing of to help with preventing rust.

Good Luck!

Thanks to everyone that has offered suggestions. All of it from $15 harbor freight furniture movers, to innovative use of hockey pucks, to horse stall mats, 3"+ concrete bolts and more has been useful and greatly appreciated.

I will probably end up employing a hybrid solution- picking and choosing what I think best fits my situation and capabilities.. So if there are any additional suggestions or ideas percolating out there please share them.

BTW did anyone else take the plunge on this safe or am I the lone forum guinea pig _gulp_?

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Any idea on the quality of this particular safe?

If looking to keep nosey kids out, I'm sure it would work. With a 14gauge door and sides it will take little more than a hammer to pop right through. Even your standard smash and grab will be able to gain access relatively quickly.

If looking to keep nosey kids out, I'm sure it would work. With a 14gauge door and sides it will take little more than a hammer to pop right through. Even your standard smash and grab will be able to gain access relatively quickly.

You just gave me a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach followed by the first tinglings of dare I say it...buyer's remorse.

After reading your post I did a quick search and found this...

Don’t rely on a cheap thin metal cabinet to protect your guns. If you look around the industry, most low end gun cabinets have very thin metal bodies made from 14 to 16 or even as thin as 20 gauge steel. A standard hammer and large screwdriver can easily break into a thin metal gun cabinet. A quality gun safe should use a minimum of 11 gauge steel in the body of the safe and preferably 10 to 7 gauge steel.

http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/faq/top-10-things-to-know-before-buying-a-safe/

Oh well. At least it's better and safer than the closet where I am currently allowed to store my guns. And truth be told, I'm less worried about outright thievery than I am about liability, peace of mind and other issues.

But still..it can be compromised by a hammer, a friggin' hammer. ...sigh

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    You can always have a welder come in and tack some thick steel on the outside. Since it is in your garage you should have no issue with flame/weld sparks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom