• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    With ammo preferences? Was at the range this morning, trying different stuff in my bushy, and of course the tula kept giving me 2 1/2 to 3 moa groups, no surprise there. Had federal, pmc and remmy brass, and all performed alright, but the star of the day was silver bear 62 gr hp. Was getting consistent 1 to 1 1/2 moa at 100 yards. Now I'm not sure if it's because of my barrel preferring the 62 grn hp over the 55 grn fmj, or I just got lucky, but I was curious if anyone else had good luck that way too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Silver Bear 62gr (when it acted right), was a solid performer in my blasphemous gas-piston AR. However I got 1k rounds that didn't always act right, and it led to a lot of headaches and time spent at the range rodding out stuck cases that had the rim ripped off.

If it works well for you, run with it.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Oh, it's "gun" with a "g". Never mind.

But the answer's "yes" in case you're wondering.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Silver Bear 62gr (when it acted right), was a solid performer in my blasphemous gas-piston AR. However I got 1k rounds that didn't always act right, and it led to a lot of headaches and time spent at the range rodding out stuck cases that had the rim ripped off.

If it works well for you, run with it.

If you still have some of that frustrating ammo, let me know, I'll be happy to help with that. :D

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    It's 1/9. That sound like it would like the slightly heavier round? I can never remember the twist rates that work best with different weights.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That ammo has LONG ago been disposed of.

1/9 in my experience has done very well with 60gr and 62gr rounds. I even ran up to 75gr thru my 1/9's and they liked it rather well, that was only at 105 yards though.

The weight isn't as crucial as the length of the round itself. Longer rounds need more stabilization, which is why some prefer the 1/7 barrels over the 1/9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom