• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    DC has a 10 round magazine limit (possession).
    Don't legally carry an illegal magazine.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    There have been a few since Lincoln ,but Garfield was the only other until Regan that was shot in DC. He was killed in the 6th street railroad yard.
    Two Puerto Rican nationalusts tried to assassinate President Truman outside of Blair House in 1950. He wasn't hit but a White House police officer was killed.

Also, in 1835, an attempt was made on President Andrew Jackson's life. Both pistols misfired and the president escaped unharmed.

There have alao been occasions where shots have been fired at the White House or persons have attempted to enter the grounds while armed. Classifying these incidents 'assassination attempts' is open to interpretation.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    THIS is probably the most important posting in this thread!!!!

Thanks for pointing this out, as I am sure many people have not even considered this. Lanier - or Emily Miller - needs to make this clear to the public.

I would expect the DC police to be VERY strict on enforcing technicalities and seemingly 'minor' infractions with respect to carrying handguns. BE CAREFUL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Harvey said. Watch out about 10+ rd mags.

No , Metro has no internal rules about carry of firearms for the riding public. There are rules for administrative building , and non-public areas. And of course for employees and contractors.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    THIS is probably the most important posting in this thread!!!!

Thanks for pointing this out, as I am sure many people have not even considered this. Lanier - or Emily Miller - needs to make this clear to the public.

Good to know. I'm curious if the judges ruling could be interpreted to have struck down that ban as well. Does anyone know of the 10 round limit is part of the laws he specifically cited?

(IANAL, and have no idea how to actually look this up.)

Edit: time to go get a 10 rounder for my M&P

Mr H

Banana'd
    Can someone source a document from Chief Laniers office or the DC Attorney General?

I have to travel to DC tomorrow and I'm tired of scouring my vehicle and backpack for empty brass, fearing the parking attendant might turn me in and becoming prohibited.

I still worry that the ammo portion of DC laws may be problematic (not to mention the 10-round limit--HT to pbh).

Other than "ready to use" (implying in the firearm?), I've yet to see anything that would even permit anyone to carry a spare mag.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    Even if this opinion is upheld by the Circuit court (or SCOTUS) on appeal, I am not certain that it helps Marylanders much. Technically, Maryland allows CC, although the right is denied to most people because of Maryland's G&S requirement that does not allow for personal defense as a reason to obtain a CC permit. It seems to me that only a case like Peruta could help us as this bears directly on G&S. Assuming the Palmer decision is upheld, the courts would only grant that the right to carry outside the home is constitutionally guaranteed. Maryland would then counter that its citizens have the ability to exercise this right through their may-issue policy.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I wasn't carrying, since I still have the "federal building problem" but I snapped this today.

Suck it DC!
    IMG_20140728_071412.jpg

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    You are solely responsible for knowing and complying with all laws and regulations, which can and do change frequently.
    Be an ambassador and don't ruin it for the rest of us.

7-28-2014_8-22-08_am.jpg

The statements and/or opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any other organization or entity unless expressly stated.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Even if this opinion is upheld by the Circuit court (or SCOTUS) on appeal, I am not certain that it helps Marylanders much. Technically, Maryland allows CC, although the right is denied to most people because of Maryland's G&S requirement that does not allow for personal defense as a reason to obtain a CC permit. It seems to me that only a case like Peruta could help us as this bears directly on G&S. Assuming the Palmer decision is upheld, the courts would only grant that the right to carry outside the home is constitutionally guaranteed. Maryland would then counter that its citizens have the ability to exercise this right through their may-issue policy.

The decision says that NOBODY can be restricted from carrying outside the home for self defense. MD does not grant permits on the basis of self defense. It is somewhat helpful. Unfortunately, this case is like Heller. It applies to D.C.. We need a "McDonald" to come along....oh, wait...doesn't Peruta basically say the same thing? The Supremes will need to hear such a case at some point.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Talking Points

They say: DC is a sensitive area due to Congress.
    We say: Texas and other states permit licensed individuals to discrete carry in the capitol - cant remember the last assassination.

They say: We are worried about assassination attempts.
    We say: Anyone who wants to harm the president is probably not too concerned about gun laws. In addition you didn't hear Reagan call for more gun laws after Hinckley.

They say: There need to be exceptions for "national security".
    We say: There are no national security exceptions to the Bill of Rights.

They say: Someone might attack the White House with a handgun.
    We say: Why not make that illegal?

They say: Gun bans make us safer
    We say: If there were any truth to that, Chicago would be the safest city in America, instead of the murder capitol.

They say: You don't need a gun for self defense
    We say: I'll surrender mine after the DC Police Chief surrenders hers.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Shitty thing is that you still wont be able to bring them into federal buildings. Leave it in the car? Oh wait, everyone takes metro. Maybe they can install gun lockers in the lobby? One can hope :)
    That would be the civilized thing to do...which means they won't.

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    They say: DC is a sensitive area due to Congress.
    We say: Texas and other states permit licensed individuals to discrete carry in the capitol - cant remember the last assassination.

They say: We are worried about assassination attempts.
    We say: Anyone who wants to harm the president is probably not too concerned about gun laws. In addition you didn't hear Reagan call for more gun laws after Hinckley.

They say: There need to be exceptions for "national security".
    We say: There are no national security exceptions to the Bill of Rights.

They say: Someone might attack the White House with a handgun.
    We say: Why not make that illegal?

They say: Gun bans make us safer
    We say: If there were any truth to that, Chicago would be the safest city in America, instead of the murder capitol.

Facts speak for themselves; DC is not a crime less city. I have a co-worker who told me people used to carry hammers & other blunt objects for self defense. It's time for the government to realize our right to keep and bear arms means just that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Fixed for Mr H.

Judge Sculins order used the words ready to use. I don't see how if the handgun ban isn't enforceable then the mag limit would not be either. Doesn't place a limit on ready to use. But

IANAL

In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which
    this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia's total ban on the public carrying of ready-
    to-use handguns
    outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom