• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well it's been too damn cold for me to cast any bullets and I recently ran out of my 158 grain pills. So yesterday I was at my West Virginia honey hole and he had some 158 grain SWC's from Missouri bullet company and I seized the opportunity and grabbed a box of 500.
    Does anybody have any first hand knowledge of their products? I'm just using these in a few 38 specials as plinking loads for my wife and daughter so I figure they'll work for some paper punching loads. 3.4 grains of Titegroup 1.475 COAL

06F991FA-DFBB-4645-B9F6-17D04F986F9D_zpsrdwbdnzu.jpg

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I buy them in .365 for the 9x18
    I like them but would rather cast my own

Just something about shooting your own cast bullets loaded by your self

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I buy them in .365 for the 9x18
    I like them but would rather cast my own

Just something about shooting your own cast bullets loaded by your self

I'd rather cast my own also but as the title says it's been to cold and windy and snowy to be out in it casting.
    Do you have any trouble with leading? I'm wondering about the hardness too, 18 on th Brinell scale seem on the high end for a handgun, any thoughts on the hardness anybody?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    http://www.missouribullet.com/technical.php

Buff7mm,

I knew I'd seen this calculation before. What I forgot was where I'd seen it! Ironically enough.....Missouri's definition!

Maybe will shed some light on your Brinell question. Have had the same question as yours....anyway, seems a good general guide. Good luck!

Looks to me like a Brinell of 12 is your target given your load specs.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks Uncle Duke, I was trying to access their site yesterday and I couldn't get on it.
    I was thinking it was around 12 also, so we shall see how these work out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Too cold to cast!? Hogwash.. lol

I been casting every day that it's gotten above freezing for the past few weeks, about every week. Yesterday I cast about 150 308 boolits and that many 44mag boolits (rotating molds and experimenting with alloy and mold temps). That said, I have a garage, so rain or bad weather don't really affect me, but I prefer to cast in the cold weather.. easy to cool the mold if you get your pace too fast.. lol

Now this is a sexy 308 boolit (coated, sized and gas checked em today)....

01516a540a1a9780c5b8be49c5c26f1cc5e57b5308%20small_zpsekgqlznq.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Too cold to cast!? Hogwash.. lol

I been casting every day that it's gotten above freezing for the past few weeks, about every week. Yesterday I cast about 150 308 boolits and that many 44mag boolits (rotating molds and experimenting with alloy and mold temps). That said, I have a garage, so rain or bad weather don't really affect me, but I prefer to cast in the cold weather.. easy to cool the mold if you get your pace too fast.. lol

Now this is a sexy 308 boolit (coated, sized and gas checked em today)....

01516a540a1a9780c5b8be49c5c26f1cc5e57b5308%20small_zpsekgqlznq.jpg

You might want to check where I'm located, it's not been above freezing here since before Christmas at least.:innocent0
    AA county to here is a world apart.;)
    Nice looking BOOLIT

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have 500 .40's from Missouri Bullet, and 500 of what you bought. I have loaded and shot the .40's with no complaints so far.

What did you pay? I paid $48.50 for the .357/.38 and $49.45 for the .40/10mm.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You might want to check where I'm located, it's not been above freezing here since before Christmas at least.:innocent0
    AA county to here is a world apart.;)
    Nice looking BOOLIT
    True that.. lol

We've been much like that, but since I started getting into casting around then, I've taken every opportunity to cast some boolits... 308, 300AAC, 45acp, 357 and 44 mag have all been dropping with regularity.

C'mon out.. you can share the garage... with two of us it'll get warmer! :lol2:

Some 44 boolits lubed and ready to load...

01178fbcfeb9bc73c9b591f5d238c48bbc1742cb19_zps7bnrqikv.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I have 500 .40's from Missouri Bullet, and 500 of what you bought. I have loaded and shot the .40's with no complaints so far.

What did you pay? I paid $48.50 for the .357/.38 and $49.45 for the .40/10mm.

I paid $44.50. I was looking at their website and they are much cheaper direct from them, that have a flat $14 shipping for the first 55 pounds I think. If I have to buy more I'll be buying direct for sure, just got in a pinch for some 38 caliber.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Buff, we both know what it's like to try to heat a casting pot when the temp the night before was -5. :sad20:
    Your store bought Boolits will shoot fine in your reloads. I've loaded many of Roger's Better Bullets from Kings in King of Prussia PA that look just like 'em.
    Is it springtime yet?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff, we both know what it's like to try to heat a casting pot when the temp the night before was -5. :sad20:
    Your store bought Boolits will shoot fine in your reloads. I've loaded many of Roger's Better Bullets from Kings in King of Prussia PA that look just like 'em.
    Is it springtime yet?

Yeah I didn't even got the pot out to try to get it hot, I was at the West Virginia hotspot and needed what he had sitting there, problem solved for now. Now if it would just warm up.

I am a little worried these might be to hard for the 38 special, I also loaded some light 357 magnum loads with these BOOLITS also, 4.3 grains of Clays, Hodgdon website states around 1050 FPS, I'm anxious to push them thru the snubbies to see how they act.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I paid $44.50. I was looking at their website and they are much cheaper direct from them, that have a flat $14 shipping for the first 55 pounds I think. If I have to buy more I'll be buying direct for sure, just got in a pinch for some 38 caliber.

I haven't started making my own yet, so that is good to know. Mine was an impulse buy, so price was not that important at the time. I look forward to your report on them.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most will render wheel weights or other sources of lead into ingots. They are fluxed well to clean the gunk out, cast into ingots and then you can use the ingots in your casting pot. The separate processes keep the gunk out of your casting pot, where you would actually take the ingots, prepare an alloy (if desired) and cast boolits.

I pour ingots about 1lb ea, makes it easy to calculate the amount of other (tin, pewter, solder) materials needed to achieve a desired alloy ratio. I cast enough ingots to last me through the winter, so I don't have to go out and smelt weights. I cast in the garage, where it's bearable (tho pretty damned cold in the winter months), but I render my ww outside in the fresh air. May be smelting some today, we'll see.. :)

edit.. should be starting to thaw out there in the West, hope y'all can get out and cast soon! ;)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Most will render wheel weights or other sources of lead into ingots. They are fluxed well to clean the gunk out, cast into ingots and then you can use the ingots in your casting pot. The separate processes keep the gunk out of your casting pot, where you would actually take the ingots, prepare an alloy (if desired) and cast boolits.

I pour ingots about 1lb ea, makes it easy to calculate the amount of other (tin, pewter, solder) materials needed to achieve a desired alloy ratio. I cast enough ingots to last me through the winter, so I don't have to go out and smelt weights. I cast in the garage, where it's bearable (tho pretty damned cold in the winter months), but I render my ww outside in the fresh air. May be smelting some today, we'll see.. :)

edit.. should be starting to thaw out there in the West, hope y'all can get out and cast soon! ;)

I'm going to try to cast some sometime this week if the weather holds out.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom