• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    We need someone with some time who can do this:

Take a look at all persons released early with good time credits over the last year.

Then take out those in jail for gun crimes.

Now, look at MD case search and the news. Did any of them re-offend?

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    According to testimony from the floor given during the hearings of the full house last year on SB281, 70% of Baltimore homicides were committed by criminals on early release. 40% were committed by criminals on early release for violent crimes.

Doesn't give you the percentage of early releasers who commit crimes other than murder..but it is an indictment of the system. Yet the administration countered that early release is a valuable rehabilitation tool and helps somehow to keep the CO's safe.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    We really need someone who can produce a report on this.

It would be great to show that their intransigence on passing this amendment cost lives.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Looks like we may have to brute force this. It's almost as if Maryland is trying to make it harder for us to find this data.

I'd start with publicly available lists of homicide victims, like this one, and get a list of victims.

Then, go to MD Case Search and search everyone on that list as both a "Defendant" and an "Other". This should find past criminal activities of victims and, if I understand Case Search properly, suspects who were brought to trial for their killing.

Then for any suspects found, do a case search on them to see if they were out on early release, parole, etc.

This should give us a partial picture of the kinds of people being shot, and more importantly (and to Greg's point), it may give us some insight into who's shooting them and whether they were out on early release.

This solution is not elegant, and will likely take a lot of time and patience. But it could work.

Who's game?

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    OK, I'd be game to contribute. That means we'll need a project manager, parse out the time frames, develop the sources we'll use, resources others may run across, etc.

We'd need to plan the work, then work the plan. Work smarter, not harder as much as possible.

Another thing that occurred to me is: this data may already exist somewhere, so going directly at it via FOIA, or MD Sunshine law (or whatever the name) may be a viable shortcut; however, not being one to trust and NOT verify, I'd also like to do at least some independent research to see if things match at random sample points.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Some very interesting stuff on "good time credits" here:

http://pagecroyder.blogspot.com/2010/02/early-release-for-bad-behavior.html

Justin Bolden, who was imprisoned for an attempted robbery (that ended in the victim’s murder by a co-defendant), was twice found guilty of assaulting another inmate and once possessed a weapon, among other offenses. He was sanctioned by being segregated and/or losing visitation rights. But he got to keep all of his good conduct credits.

Charles Ravenscroft was held in maximum security for behavior that included being “involved in stabbing of other inmate while serving [disciplinary segregation]” and for “assaultive behavior both in DOC and while [in an out-of-state prison.]” He also was convicted in state court for assaulting a correctional officer and sentenced to a year. Yet despite two DOC administrative convictions for assaults on inmates, two more for possessing a weapon and another two for disobeying orders, he kept his good conduct credits, too.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    If we are looking to see if early released criminals commit more crimes we would also need the names of the perps... not the victims... the murder data is of dead folks.... victims.

It will tell us how many criminals are murdered because they are not locked up...is that what we want?

On the other hand. .... can we find out how many murders are ever cleared.... can we get access to the investigation ....

I am thinking no access to ongoing investigation

So that leaves what. ..

What % are ever closed? Can we get that info..

Edit : sorry I misread Hopalongs post .. Cell phones are not easy to work on -- and my eyes are definitely getting old..

Not sure how much time I will have .. but we need to avoid doing the same work twice ....

will try an do a few to see if ir gives good info ..

Last edited:

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    We need someone with some time who can do this:

Take a look at all persons released early with good time credits over the last year.

Then take out those in jail for gun crimes.

Now, look at MD case search and the news. Did any of them re-offend?

Where can we find the list of all persons released early last year? Is there a public list?

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/pdfs/open_parole_hearings_2013.pdf

Some parole hearings are open to the public ...

This may mean open records ..

Looking through the case search for some of these people is tough because it is hard to figure out if you have the correct one. It looks like one of them was sentenced to two concurrent 20 year sentences and was up for parole after 10. He was charged in district court with 1st degree murder and in circuit court was reduced to 2nd degree murder.

synuepka

Mar 1, 2013
    Compiling information on those released early will be difficult from public resources. The formatting on case search is not always consistent, limiting what can be done automatically. However, it is possible to extract large data sets from case search for a specific court of a specific case type as the case number formats are somewhat standardized. This could be useful if you wanted to see, for example, how often career criminals who are caught with firearms are imprisoned for any length of time (rarely, from what I've seen in case search).

Attached is a table with shooting victims so far this year in Baltimore City. Note how many have violent criminal histories - virtually all of these individuals are involved in narcotics distribution. Nearly a third on the list were charged with attempted first degree murder in Maryland at some point in their lives, with plea bargains being the most common resolution to their cases.

Attachments

• 2014 Shootings.pdf
      717.8 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom