• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Here's my earlier response to sighting-in, in case you can't find it.

You didn't say which model M/N you have; if it's an M91/30 your sight radius is 24 1/2", so (assuming 100 yards) every inch you need to move the POI on the target, move the front sight 0.0068" in the opposite direction. (Divide 24.5" by 3600", the number of inches in 100 yards.)

Example: your shots are hitting 12" to the left of the bullseye; so you want to move the POI right 12". Using a hammer & punch (or a screw-type adjustment tool, if you prefer), drift the front sight (12 x .0068") 0.0816" to the left. 0.0816" converts to slightly less than 3/16", if you are using a regular ruler to measure.

As a reference, before you begin adjusting your sight, use the point of a razor knife or sharp blade to notch indexing marks on the moving and stationary parts of your front sight, so you know how far you've moved it.

For the sight radius value of other M/N variants, go here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm

...the above covers windage, not elevation. To adjust your elevation, raise the rear sight (or lower the front sight), if you need to raise the bullet's point of imact. To lower the bullet's point of impact, lower the rear sight (or raise the front sight.) Since the M/N's rear sight is adjustable in elevation, but the front sight isn't, you'll be adjusting the rear sight only. Any adjustments needed that are beyond the travel limits of the rear sight, mean that you'll need to have the front sight post extended, or filed down, as necessary - something you can do yourself, if you have the skills, but if you have any doubts have a competent gunsmith do it for you.

Last, but MOST IMPORTANTLY...

Sight your rifle in USING THE AMMO YOU'LL BE HUNTING WITH. Different ammo can alter the point of impact by quite a bit.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    That's probably fantastic hunting ammo so I'd learn where it hits and zero your gun to it. But for blasting and general range fun, invest in a tin of surplus and clean your barrel with water first. Just pay attention to the shift in POI and adjust your POA accordingly without messing with your actual zero. Your pocketbook and shoulder will thank you.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Keep Shooting had some nice surplus ammo a while back, but I don't know if Brian has any now. Some other IP's may. Actually, Aim isn't a bad place at all to buy surplus ammo online as well as other sources. UPS ground shipping isn't all that bad.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You'll spend more on gas and admission ($8) to a Maryland gun show, plus the markup, than if you buy online and pay shipping. AIM Surplus is about the best place to buy milsurp 7.62x54R from. After shooting milsurp, be SURE and promptly clean your chamber and bore with window cleaner, followed by an immediate drying and oiling, after every shooting session. Don't wait until the next day, do it when you get home from the range.

Personally, if I found a M/N good enough to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards, I wouldn't shoot it with corrosive milsurp ammo anyway.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    You'll spend more on gas and admission ($8) to a Maryland gun show, plus the markup, than if you buy online and pay shipping. AIM Surplus is about the best place to buy milsurp 7.62x54R from. After shooting milsurp, be SURE and promptly clean your chamber and bore with window cleaner, followed by an immediate drying and oiling, after every shooting session. Don't wait until the next day, do it when you get home from the range.

Personally, if I found a M/N good enough to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards, I wouldn't shoot it with corrosive milsurp ammo anyway.

Pshhh...I can shoot bowling pins all day at 200 yards and all I shoot is corrosive surplus :) Southernohiogun.com also has good surp prices

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    prepare to feel the pain :lol2:

Speaking of pain, I have a bad right shoulder and might need surgery (ruptured tendons). How can I reduce the recoil shock of the Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle. Rubber but pad?
    If so, where obtainable? All ideas welcome. I fear that the doc wil say not to do any heavy shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom