• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Here's my quandry: I was notified on 27JUN that I made a rating of 99 (out of 100 possible points) for job A. I was notified on 07JUL that I was preliminarily qualified for both possible pay levels for job B.

It is now 22AUG and I haven't heard anything else from either hiring authority. My email still works as I sent myself a test yesterday. How long does this process normally take?

I am still looking for other jobs actively online and not burning any bridges but am almost about to be bummed out by this process.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Here's my quandry: I was notified on 27JUN that I made a rating of 99 (out of 100 possible points) for job A. I was notified on 07JUL that I was preliminarily qualified for both possible pay levels for job B.

It is now 22AUG and I haven't heard anything else from either hiring authority. My email still works as I sent myself a test yesterday. How long does this process normally take?

I am still looking for other jobs actively online and not burning any bridges but am almost about to be bummed out by this process.

As a GS employee I know from first hand experience it can take months. I applied for my last job in March, selected in November, cleared by June.

Nature of the beast I'm afraid. Stick with it.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The job I currently hold with the State EMS System took 14 months from interview to offer, but then again, I found out they put a girl in my spot for 6 months so she could qualify for a transfer to a different position with one of the muckity-mucks so they didn't have to advertise it to the public.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I applied for my GS position August 2011, took until June 2012 before I received my official welcome letter. My selection was approved within a month. Took the rest of the time for funding to get done.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    It can take a while. But when the stars are aligned it can happen within six months (at least in my case).

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    This is the government hiring process:

Turtle_Snail_Color2.jpg

The snail is the government's security clearance process.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    That's about right for the government. When I got my job with my agency it took 13 months before I got the offer and then another 7 months of training on top of that. It all depends on how busy the people doing the paperwork are with other projects.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    I applied for a job that closed in mid March and got selected in May for a late June start time.

The gov't is a fickle mistress, with many powers working behind the scenes. Sometimes they want a body in as fast as possible....and other times they can take their sweet time cause it's not a critical slot to fill.

I'm still technically sitting on a application that was submitted in 2009 for a job i was working in as a contractor.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    It took me OVER A YEAR from being qualified to being Hired. I have a Nephew who is in The Maryland Highway construction part new hires are non-existant, a lot of hires are for Contractual --Summer>

The physcal year began July 1 and that could be part of the SLOWER process

Hang in there

Jim

WarVet762

Dec 14, 2011
    VA
    I have to echo what everyone else has been saying for the most part. I've been in 3 different positions within the Federal system as a WG (wage grade). However my experience has been 3-5 months. My current position I applied for in Nov 2011 and physically started working there in Mar 2012. That has been my longest wait. After a few months you should start getting emails/phone calls. Then you have to take a physical (which can take a few weeks for results), and THEN go in for orientation. Congratulations on making it through the initial screening process though! That in and of itself is an accomplishment. Keep the faith man, it's DEFINITELY worth it :party29:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I applied for a job that closed in mid March and got selected in May for a late June start time.

The gov't is a fickle mistress douchebag, with many powers incompetents working pissing away time on the Internetbehind the scenes. Sometimes they want a body in as fast as possible if it's to fill a slot for somebody to do the work of some Administrator they can't fill the job fast enough....and other times they can take their sweet time cause it's not a critical slot to fill and they could give a sheet whether real work gets done.

Fixed.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    K31, ladies and gentlemen, keeping it real for us.

"Soooo (ala Pepe Lapew), my applications, I shouldn't 'dump her', no?" LOL

Absolute worst case where I can't find a short term gig to hold me over until/if I get picked up, the pile of savings bonds I bought as a young E-nothing will pay a couple months of mortgage before I start selling things like the boat, bike, guns, or dogs. The stuff may not be the prettiest or the newest, but it's all paid for!

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    K31, ladies and gentlemen, keeping it real for us.

"Soooo (ala Pepe Lapew), my applications, I shouldn't 'dump her', no?" LOL

Absolute worst case where I can't find a short term gig to hold me over until/if I get picked up, the pile of savings bonds I bought as a young E-nothing will pay a couple months of mortgage before I start selling things like the boat, bike, guns, or dogs. The stuff may not be the prettiest or the newest, but it's all paid for!

If you like the position then yes. I didn't really care how long it took because I was working as a contractor in the exact same position. Mine just turned into a CIV position.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    K31,

Can't argue with ya.

But, yeah it can do either way. The group I got hired with had the new buzz word in govy hiring, veteran. we're all vets of various from various periods and states of decay (disability status) and managed to have the skills to start with.

seems like we're one of the odd groups that was brought in to do something useful ( i think) and are making a some kind of progress....well at least speeding up the bureaucratic gears.

TSA on the other hand, well i put in for the job i worked as contractor for giggles just to see if they finally notice that little detail.

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    Veteran's preference is just a make the liberal left feel good about thinking they are doing something for vets law. It is unenforceable with federal agencies.

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    Most agencies have spent 1000s of HR manhours creating "legal" hiring programs to bypass veterans preference hiring laws. Unless you are blood related to a current agency employee, your chances of getting in are nill.

topgun1sg

Nov 28, 2007
    Westminster
    And if you do get in, it will be only for the bare bones, lowest grade to do the dirtiest hardest work for the agency. Remember Gov work is like church work. 20% of the employees do 80% of the work. You will be one of the 20%ers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom