• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I keep hearing about all these cyber security jobs coming to Maryland.

I often wonder where they are.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Lockheed Martin, Northrup Gumman, Boeing, Mantech, CSC, Verizon Government, AT&T Govenment Solutions...etc

These are just an example of companies that hire those type of jobs. The Federal Government typically does not hire directly, all this is based on a GSA schedule.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I keep hearing about all these cyber security jobs coming to Maryland.

I often wonder where they are.

Verizon/Terremark have a lot of datacenters for cloud and dedicated computing and are expanding: http://www.terremark.com/about/careers.aspx

Verizon has a premium datacenter in Beltsville, staff in the big Silver Spring building, and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    DISA.

i get hit up on my email all the time for it... too bad i changed career fields... what are you looking for?

you can send me your resume.....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's not for me, it's my best friend's husband. He just got his M.S. in Information Systems with a concentration in cyber security and he's trying to hard to break into the field. I really want to help him.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's not for me, it's my best friend's husband. He just got his M.S. in Information Systems with a concentration in cyber security and he's trying to hard to break into the field. I really want to help him.

I wish him well. I graduated from Maryland in 2010 with a Master's in IS Management and almost twenty years of management experience, five of that in a related field, and couldn't even get interviews (let alone offers) for even entry-level jobs. IT wants young people, preferably with experience and technical certifications. The degree is secondary to most employers because the knowledge gets outdated so fast. That's the impression I got anyway. YMMV.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    It is all in how you network. And I don't mean post some crap on Linked In (if I get another link invite from someone I passed in a hallway somewhere...) There are thousands of IT jobs out there, many in a cyber security related field. The two problems are 1) what actual job to look for and 2) who to help you look for it.

As you can see from many of the responses, there are a lot of companies that hire. But as Zoostation points out, it is hard to get to the interview stage--there are just a lot of people who apply for those jobs, and many of them don't have the skills or education--they are just trying to get somewhere with better pay. So you get recruiters and hiring managers that filter resumes to look for a few particular things. That is hard to nail down. So you have to know someone who knows someone who is hiring. That is even harder.

What I would say then, is to start your career in the field by trying to search for big cyber security software and hardware vendors. They can't easily hire people with their hardware or software expertise because most of those people work for the company trying to hire. So they will hire people in and train them on the hardware/software. You then work professional services, etc. for a few years, getting hands-on experience and a lot of customer contacts.

Check with RSA (EMC) or Cisco for security, PCI, firewall, etc. for example. Cloud security is getting to be big due to many of the incidents that have occurred with data breaches, so even companies like Riverbed would be a good place to start.

If your friend or anyone that wants me to forward on a resume for RSA, EMC, or Acadia/VCE just let me know that position you would be looking for and I will look up the hiring manager and send it to him/her.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lockheed Martin, Northrup Gumman, Boeing, Mantech, CSC, Verizon Government, AT&T Govenment Solutions...etc

That list is spot on, along with others to remain unnamed. A person needs the right experience and buzzwords on their resume to get an interview. Having a friend provide a personal recommendation and forward your resume from the inside helps immensely, as can who you know professionally on the outside. A candidate's criminal history must be squeaky clean and people the candidate chooses to associate with must not be of questionable character. If a candidate does not qualify for and cannot readily obtain a minimum clearance level of TS with CI Poly, then there is almost zero chance of getting one of the jobs. You do not need the clearance to get an interview. If your resume is a solid match and you get an offer for a job in high demand, your security clearance processing will be bumped to the front of the queue.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I wish him well. I graduated from Maryland in 2010 with a Master's in IS Management and almost twenty years of management experience, five of that in a related field, and couldn't even get interviews (let alone offers) for even entry-level jobs. IT wants young people, preferably with experience and technical certifications. The degree is secondary to most employers because the knowledge gets outdated so fast. That's the impression I got anyway. YMMV.

Can be hard to break in with no experience. I experienced that when I started 12 years ago, it has not changed. Most of the jobs out there in the Infosec category are going to require some experience. Of course the addition of certs and clearance also helps. I have a MS in Information Systems Security and 12 years Systems Engineering/Admin experience. The degree definitely helped, but the experience was required for my current job. I just converted to federal employment with DISA after working as a contractor for 2 years. It's much easier when you have a foot in the door for sure.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Other options are to find a good headhunter (most of them are parasites) or get your foot in the door through a place like Aerotek.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    He had the top one (The full lifestyle poly) but he left the government so it expired. There's nothing in his life or history that would DQ him though. I did get his wife to stop nagging him to pay for his own clearance (she didn't know it wasn't allowed.)

Breaking in with minimal experience is hard I deg agree. I was fortunate in college to work in the student PC lab so I got 4 years experience doing IT support before I even got my diploma. I tried hard to get him where I work, but they won't sub masters degree for experience.

His main strengths are the projects and case work he did in college.

Plus I feel with schools like UMUC churning out a constant supply of cyber security people, it waters down the job market.

He is only 30 though :)

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Other options are to find a good headhunter (most of them are parasites) or get your foot in the door through a place like Aerotek.

I got my contract position with General Dynamics that way. I went through HireStrategy. They act as a talent agency to supply temp and direct hire placement.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    He had the top one (The full lifestyle poly) but he left the government so it expired. There's nothing in his life or history that would DQ him though. I did get his wife to stop nagging him to pay for his own clearance (she didn't know it wasn't allowed.)

Breaking in with minimal experience is hard I deg agree. I was fortunate in college to work in the student PC lab so I got 4 years experience doing IT support before I even got my diploma. I tried hard to get him where I work, but they won't sub masters degree for experience.

His main strengths are the projects and case work he did in college.

Plus I feel with schools like UMUC churning out a constant supply of cyber security people
    , it waters down the job market.

He is only 30 though :)

Not necessarily a bad thing, UMUC is a NSA/DHS designated National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education.

SCEP program is a good way to get into the goverment positions, some of the people I work with did that while they were still in school.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009

I might have a lead for him if he has a security clearance; then again, with Gen. Alexander ringing the alarm bells for cyber security, I wouldn't be surprised if jobs started sprouting up over the next year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom