• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Quote on the blue Taurus:
    1992 Ford Taurus in the new "Baby Blue" "Powder Blue" color scheme that was begun by Commissioner Edward Woods. At the press conference he stated that "They are the prettiest Police Cars I have ever seen" later on he said " I just wanted to get away from the aggressive WHITE cars".
    :lol2:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They weren't too bad, but the AXOD transmission wound up taking a fair bit of abuse, the 3.8 V6's with the police tune were actually pretty respectable performance-wise.

Front wheel drive and slow constant turning in city driving pummeled those transmissions.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Front wheel drive and slow constant turning in city driving pummeled those transmissions.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

That's true, and the common crappy ford power steering pump groaning and moaning even when not turning didn't help either.

My brother had a '94, interesting car, but he didn't miss it when he sold it off.

mpdc - standard front wheel, all-wheel drive? Ford's got like 3 versions available. Turbo, non-turbo?

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    That's true, and the common crappy ford power steering pump groaning and moaning even when not turning didn't help either.

My brother had a '94, interesting car, but he didn't miss it when he sold it off.

mpdc - standard front wheel, all-wheel drive? Ford's got like 3 versions available. Turbo, non-turbo?

Purging the steering hydraulics of air helped those quite a bit.

I still think its diffcult to find a front drive car reliable in that sort of service environment.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The Chevy packages are nice but right now its FWD....i can't get use to that at high speeds. great turn radius. Impala drives pretty well but Chevy is putting out a "new style Caprice" pacakge. I haven't seen it yet. its suppose to be rear wheel drive.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Chevy does have a Caprice available for LE only, it's a re-badged Pontiac G8, so it is RWD.

Ford's three flavor's for the police-spec Taurus is a 3.5 N/A FWD, 3.5 Twin-Turbo FWD, and a 3.5 Twin-Turbo AWD model.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Since we've derailed the thread to police cars, I'll chime in....

I really want to see a local department try out a purpose-built police car. Carbon Motors makes a pretty sick car designed by police officers. It's the little things like a seat designed to be sat in for 10 hours at a time with a duty belt on. Rear seatbelts that buckle on the outside so that you do not have to lean over a prisoner...

carbon_motors_police_car05.jpg

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Th taurus is front drive, the 500 which is the same platform is all wheel drive. I'm curious to know if the police packge taurus would have all wheel drive since its available in the 500.

I use to be an EVOC instructor......I F*cking hated FWD!!! Most EVOC instructors who's work experiences have been the Old Caprices and FCV hate FWD. IMO the only advantages is driving in snow and small turn radius. OTher than that the back end is so light its too easy to fish-tail IMO

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I'd be curious to find out how the taurus awd model splits the torque between front and rear. I bet the majority goes to the front wheels, which wouldn't help as much as having a true RWD car. The weight distribution is more preferable in the RWD.

Let's face it, snow in MD isn't that big of a concern in most places. The 2" we get melts and is gone by 2 days later anyhow.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    FWD requires very different process for driving in limited traction conditions than RWD. if you have years and years of muscle memorie built up for driving RWD then FWD switch will be hell to deal with.

FWD is plenty capable. they had some really successful FWD rally cars for a while. It comes with its own set of limitations like torque stear, limited useful HP due to traction, generally weaker transmissions, etc.

I'm still suprised that for officer safety AWD isn't the gold standard, it's good for a lot more than just snow. it can make certain maneuvers a lot harder though since you can't use the throttle to control overstear/understear the same as in RWD that most of that was designed for.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Its the old mantra of "you fall back on your training". Some people were still used to RWD, and its a comfort zone thing. I still don't think you'll see th same durability as the old school RWD's though.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't know how Ford's got the AWD setup for power distribution, once they start hitting the marshalling points for dealer delivery I'll be able to get some seat time in one and be able to comment on it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    University of Baltimore campus police have the new Caprice PPV. I saw one on the road a while back. Pretty sweet looking car. RWD V8 powered as a partol car should be.

I read the other day that CHP was switching it's crown vics for the new Explorer.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Try to bring us back.

I had the opportunity to be a LEO back in the day and instead followed my intended path of teaching. Had my degree, couldn't find a job teaching, so I did some private security and loss prevention stuff. With Dad's background as a LEO I was able to get into the circle and was actually on the way to apply for a police gig when I was called about a teaching position. I often think about the "what if", as I am sure we all do at times. I have always felt I could have done the LEO thing and would have enjoyed it, but alas.

If I was able to move laterally from teaching to police work I would seriously consider it. Teaching has gotten "strange" in our world, doing good in education is getting tougher. But then again I am 41, in ok shape, have some experience and some brain power...............not sure if I would be wanted.:o

Police work is something you have to do not just want to do. I may have missed my window so don't miss yours if you have that need.

Just my 2 cents.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom