How many lumens for a flashlight to create a tactical advantage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How many lumens for a flashlight to create an optimum EDC tactical advantage?

• Less than 100.

Votes: 1 1.3%
    • 100 - 500.

Votes: 35 43.8%
    • 500 - 1000.

Votes: 27 33.8%
    • 1000 - 2000.

Votes: 9 11.3%
    • More than 2000.

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm a big fan of flashlights, and this question of 'how many lumens do I need for tactical' advantage is pretty common. So I'm going to pose it to you the gentle reader. Before arbitrarily answering, please consider these discussions on this subject:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?227950-How-many-lumens-is-too-much

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473023

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=230307

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...y-need-for-home-defense-When-is-it-too-bright

I found this video the most informative:

This video suggests that 840 lumens from the PD35 was about the threshold to make a significant difference.

Not all lumen are measured the same. In very low light, when your eyes are accumulated to near total darkness even low lumen (30-60) can be significant in temporarily ruining someone's night vision. But in general low light, I personally feel 200 lumens about the minimal and around 1000 optimal for tactical advantage.

Now, you do your own research, or if you already have, please give your opinion.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A critical factor is how large the flashlight would have to be, and how quickly it would use up the battery.

Don't just consider maximum lumens, this is an Every Day Carry (EDC) flashlight; so it needs to be light and small enough that you would carry it every day.

For me, two CR123 batteries is about all I can imagine carrying everyday (work, play, weekends).

Back in 2008, the best technology using 2x CR123 batteries was about 200 lumen max. Today (2015), that is closer to 1000 lumen. Both using better LED's and better electronics and both using two CR123 batteries.

Just imagine what kind of lumens two CR123's will push in a year.

In very low light, when your eyes are accumulated to near total darkness even low lumen (30-60) can be significant in temporarily ruining someone's night vision. But in general low light, I personally feel 200 lumens about the minimal and around 1000 optimal for tactical advantage.

^^ I think this says a lot,which is why I voted 100-500.I like 300-400 as a general rule.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I want as many lumens as possible. I'm not worried about my night vision as even a relatively low output light is going to ruin it anyway. Plus my experience has been that anywhere except for the woods or BFE there are so many sources of ambient lighting that halfway decent natural night vision is just wishful thinking anyway. So I want something that is going to blind and disorient the bad guy as much as possible.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The AIT class I took at CSAT convinced me that more lumens is more betterer. For a little light I like the Streamlight Protac 1L. For a light that's a little bigger but packs way more punch, enough to illuminate a darkened shed from outside in the daylight, and enough flood to flash someone indoors and get an instant read on whole-body-hand-hand without moving the light around over the person, I like the Fenix PD 35 960 lumen model. It is still EDC sized but really throws out a nice beam.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Agreed with all comments I've read so far:

- when you lose YOUR natural night-vision; which will happen almost immediately, you need the extra lumen to see your surroundings and potential target(s)

- more is generally better

- you can always 'splash' light off a ceiling, the ground or a wall; you don't need to worry about having to aim directly where you are looking. This way you might be able to preserve some of your natural night-vision for when it's really critical.

- as much as I appreciate the 2000 lumen flashlight I bought during a group buy here from a member; it's just too large to carry everyday.

- This 720 lumen Stream light serves both as both a Picatinny gun light and a pocket flashlight (with laser); might be the ultimate commercially available today.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I want enough to

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422484628.530876.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422484628.530876.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 755

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    From what I've read ~200 lumens is the threshold. Which shouldn't be a problems since most lights are currently well above that level.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've still got a couple of those 100-200 lum lights. good for glove box, camping etc.

Yep, there are some good and cheap flashlights these days. As a kid we just had junk, mostly C and D cells that weren't too bright or worked too well. [insert political joke here]

I now heavily lean toward the gun mountable lights. The slightly larger size and rail give you the options of using like a normal flashlight or mounting on a gun, helmet, bike, anything with a piccatiny rail.

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    Best EDC light IMO is the Maglite XL series. They start about $35 for a XL50- 150 lumin light that's made in America or $100 for the rechargeable tactical model Mag Tac that puts out 500 lumin.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    A buddy just bought a new tactical flashlight. He wanted something he could carry, but also put it on his shotgun for when he's at home.

I guess that's one way to check on your shotgun every day. I think I'd rather have at least a couple lights, and leave one dedicated and on the shotgun.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i think he posted his story here before, but a friend of mine was attacked/jumped whatever one night while skateboarding. he was carrying a 180-200 limen flashlight i had given him, and with the details of how he turned the tables on his attacker, that light played a huge role.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The answer to how many lumens I want is: all of them.

It's not just about seeing someone. It's about identifying the person, what's in their hands, what's immediately around them, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom