• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have a friend, who was very reluctant to purchase a firearm, but after seeing what almost happened in Baltimore and some other concerns of his, he decided now was the right time to buy a shotgun.

To his credit, he purchased a Police model 870, from a very reputable dealer (2AS&S), and a few boxes of shells. But honestly, he has no idea what he's doing. I gave him a few pointers, like how to store it, and recommended (sent him several videos), some basic advice, but he's one of those 'a gun is an after thought' folks.

So where can I point him for some basic shotgun orientation/training, especially for basic home defense?

BFR50

May 20, 2013
    Reisterstown, PRM
    The AGC forum, training. I just took an NRA Basic Shotgun Shooting course at AGC by The Maryland Gun Training Center. Great class that covered all shotgun types, safety, and how to clean an care for them. There web www.mdgtc.com or call Gene 410-4290gun (486). The afternoon was on the trap range shooting.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    While we don't have a group tactical shotgun course like we do for handgun and carbine, we do quite a bit of it via private training at our Taneytown location.

For private training it is the same price per hour for 2 people so both you and your friend could attend for the same price.

www.ddctraining.net

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    While we don't have a group tactical shotgun course like we do for handgun and carbine, we do quite a bit of it via private training at our Taneytown location.

For private training it is the same price per hour for 2 people so both you and your friend could attend for the same price.

www.ddctraining.net

I'll talk with him about it. I've wanted an excuse to meet you guys and take some training from you. As I've stated, shotguns are now my weakest link, I honestly do not like them, but want to be able to run one if required. I've had very little training with them, and shoot them only in 3-gun matches and a little skeet/trap. Growing up we only used shotguns for deer hunting, I missed out on a lot of training opportunity with them.

In a barricade situation, there probably is no better gun to defend with, if there is only one or two perps.

I really liked your philosophy, especially this part:

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act."

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Is your friend facing issues of mechanics and training, or is it a question of whether he has the wherewithal to point a firearm at another human being and pull the trigger? The mechanics is the easy part. If he is not capable of pulling the trigger when the line HE draws is passed, his gun may be taken from him and used on him and his family.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I'll talk with him about it. I've wanted an excuse to meet you guys and take some training from you. As I've stated, shotguns are now my weakest link, I honestly do not like them, but want to be able to run one if required. I've had very little training with them, and shoot them only in 3-gun matches and a little skeet/trap. Growing up we only used shotguns for deer hunting, I missed out on a lot of training opportunity with them.

In a barricade situation, there probably is no better gun to defend with, if there is only one or two perps.

I really liked your philosophy, especially this part:

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act."

Great! Thank you sir.
    Oh and just for the record I can't take credit for the essay on our philosophy page. It was written by Marko Kloos but perfectly expresses our thinking on the subject.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The range officers at most gun ranges are able to provide basic training (for a nominal fee). In lieu of a formal class (which is usually the best option), I'd recommend that. At the very least, take him with you to your range and run him through the four safety rules and basic operating features of the shotgun. Then, have him send a box or two of slugs down range so at least he knows how to use the 'gun and what to expect. A shotgun's not something I'd like to experience for the first time when facing a life-or-death defensive situation.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The range officers at most gun ranges are able to provide basic training (for a nominal fee). In lieu of a formal class (which is usually the best option), I'd recommend that. At the very least, take him with you to your range and run him through the four safety rules and basic operating features of the shotgun. Then, have him send a box or two of slugs down range so at least he knows how to use the 'gun and what to expect. A shotgun's not something I'd like to experience for the first time when facing a life-or-death defensive situation.

Solid advice and I agree. Normally, I'd be all over this, I've taken a lot of relatively new, rusty, and brand new shooters to their first range visit. I'm just prioritizing my time for work, study and essentials. He should have sparked his interest years ago when I had more time. Plus, I'd rather he take a class from a seasoned shotgun instructor that can also run him through some home defense skills and scenarios. He has basic safety and handling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom