• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Your dealer probably told one of his assistants to go and get a fired casing from your gun. In all the excitement of using it to commit a crime, he forgot to pick up a casing from the scene (or clean it). It happens...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You have lost your mind my friend lol. They will never lay hands on my baby again. They asked me to mail them a shell casing? That just seems odd to me because I could technically go on any range and find one to send...

I think you have to give them the gun to preserve the custody thingie. I'd want to stand over them.

Probably they want to keep this on the DL, hence the mail. They violated the law, so if they get you to violate the law, its mutually assured destruction.

I'd wait for the body to turn up first though. It's still warm so it probably wont be long.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was planning on it, but it just made me wonder who is ultimately responsible for it. I thought that before the gun left the store a shell casing had to be obtained by the dealer.

If it's new, then yes, by an 07 licensee.

Me too. I think they screwed up.

Possibly this ^^^. They may also have lost the case too.

They probably want to do some more target shooting, just lend them the gun for another day of fun and ask them to keep one shell. ;)

You'll know if this ^^^ is true if they ask you to bring more than one box of ammo in with the gun.:D

Now the serious part: If they can't get a shell casing from that gun, there could be problems between them and MSP. If so, it might be possible that MSP may show up at your door to confiscate that gun as it would possibly be considered an illegal sale. My suggestion to you would be to let them have it for a few minutes while they collect a fired casing from the gun, even if you have to meet them at a range at a predetermined time.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If it's new, then yes, by an 07 licensee.

Possibly this ^^^. They may also have lost the case too.

You'll know if this ^^^ is true if they ask you to bring more than one box of ammo in with the gun.:D

Now the serious part: If they can't get a shell casing from that gun, there could be problems between them and MSP. If so, it might be possible that MSP may show up at your door to confiscate that gun as it would possibly be considered an illegal sale. My suggestion to you would be to let them have it for a few minutes while they collect a fired casing from the gun, even if you have to meet them at a range at a predetermined time.

/\
    THIS

They may have screwed up, it happens, but were I you, I would go back, let them give the casing and move on. If you refuse, all the dealer has to do is tell MSP that they screwed up, tried to rectify it and you refused.

A Trooper will pay you a personal visit.

Hope it all works out well for all involved, but as MSP does read this forum, it may already be FUBAR.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    OP, I sense these guys are upsetting you a second time. The first time was their overuse of your gun by shooting more than the ONE round they needed to provide a casing to MSP, and, the second time, by asking you to pay them a visit to shoot yet another round to collect a casing, again, to give to MSP. I'm not sorry for being a hard ass about this. I own revolvers that are pristine, where the cylinders have never been turned to score the bluing. The FFL had the legal duty, and thus the right, to only shoot ONE round out of your new gun. If I were negotiating this issue with them, I would insist that they make it worth my while.

I say this not knowing where the legal liability lays. If its on the FFL, I stand by the above. If there is something in the law of which I am not aware that gives you culpability, then disregard.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    /\
    THIS

They may have screwed up, it happens, but were I you, I would go back, let them give the casing and move on. If you refuse, all the dealer has to do is tell MSP that they screwed up, tried to rectify it and you refused.

A Trooper will pay you a personal visit.

Hope it all works out well for all involved, but as MSP does read this forum, it may already be FUBAR.

But how is any of that on me? I had a voicemail from the guy. Maybe I don't even check my voicemails. I was told that a shell casing was obtained when I purchased it. The pistol was obviously fired when it was handed over to me. At that point, the transaction is finished in my book. Why do I have any obligation to answer anything from the dealer at this point? I could have gone on a 1 year deployment with the military for all they know.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    OP, I sense these guys are upsetting you a second time. The first time was their overuse of your gun by shooting more than the ONE round they needed to provide a casing to MSP, and, the second time, by asking you to pay them a visit to shoot yet another round to collect a casing, again, to give to MSP. I'm not sorry for being a hard ass about this. I own revolvers that are pristine, where the cylinders have never been turned to score the bluing. The FFL had the legal duty, and thus the right, to only shoot ONE round out of your new gun. If I were negotiating this issue with them, I would insist that they make it worth my while.

I say this not knowing where the legal liability lays. If its on the FFL, I stand by the above. If there is something in the law of which I am not aware that gives you culpability, then disregard.

You are damn right I am upset about this. Due to this dealer's negligence I have to go out of my way to get him a shell casing. On top of that, it looks like he is asking me to violate the law by mailing it.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    hypothetically, if the above happened, they would almost certainly just substitute a random 9mm casing, since it all goes into a drum and no one inspects it anyways AND THE MACHINERY TO DO SO IS LITERALLY LOST

I'd say it's a non issue- your culpability is non existant, but I'd still give them the casing if I were you

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    hypothetically, if the above happened, they would almost certainly just substitute a random 9mm casing, since it all goes into a drum and no one inspects it anyways AND THE MACHINERY TO DO SO IS LITERALLY LOST

I'd say it's a non issue- your culpability is non existant, but I'd still give them the casing if I were you

So why wouldn't they just do that anyway instead of harassing me? I have voicemail proof of them asking me for the casing. It just seems like they are incriminating themselves by doing that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On another note, does the gun actually have to fire a bullet? Could you just use a primed, empty cartridge and pull the trigger?

If they were actually using them as the plan was, it needs to be fired. Firing imprints the breech face, extractor and ejector marks on the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom