• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    So I was given an old Western Field shotgun (Mossberg 500 clone), and it has a 26 or 28ish inch barrel with one of those old C-lect chokes, which as I understand it aren't really around anymore, and is of absolutely no use to me whatsoever.

Now, I don't know if these C-lect chokes are no longer around for a reason or what, but I was just wondering if that's something worth trying to sell or trade, or if I should just get it chopped to 18.5"? And if so, about how much would that cost to get done?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    As long as you don't need to shoot steel shot, there is nothing wrong with them. I have one I've used for over thirty years, no problems. I usually leave it in IC, but it will tighten up nicely for a turkey load.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What you have is a 26in bbl. The 26in w/ Clectchoke balances and handles like a 30in plain bbl.

The Clect Choke was a knockoff of (pre-click) PolyChokes. In the '40s thru mid '60s the Poly Chokes were well regarded and fairly popular to have added to one's shotgun. In the days before the common availability of choke tubes they were a good way to have different chokes on one shotgum , and be changable in the field.

And yes PolyChoke is still around , still offering their updated product line.

But alas the young generation that grew up with choke tubes , think variable chokes are unesthetic.

Real advantages :

Thru either mishap or intention you have a bbl shortened, you can then have whatever level of choke desired with your shorter bbl.

If you want to change the balance of an existing shotgun , a PolyChoke will do it. Keep length the same , add a Poly , and bingo - muzzle heavy. Shorten bbl enough to result in matching OAL , and just a little muzzle heavy. Conversly start with an 18-20in bbl , and it will now balance more like an old school bird or skeet gun, plus have choke of your preference.

( No they won't match a state of the art extra full turkey choke , but will give from cylnder to "normal" full.)

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    http://www.mossberg.com/barrels.asp
    Here are some reasonably priced barrels

Huh, when I looked at that page a few days ago I could've sworn the 18.5" cylinder bore was the same price as the rest. I must've just read it wrong. Well that's certainly an option, but I would still want to get rid of this barrel if I bought a new one.

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't think there's really anything wrong with the C-lect choke, I just don't particularly want it. I'd prefer to have just an 18.5" so I can use it as a backup HD gun or something to stick under the bed or what not. I guess what I'm asking is, is this something I should bother trying to sell/trade? Is it something someone might want or is there not much desire out there for them?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Huh, when I looked at that page a few days ago I could've sworn the 18.5" cylinder bore was the same price as the rest. I must've just read it wrong. Well that's certainly an option, but I would still want to get rid of this barrel if I bought a new one.

Thanks for the answers guys. I don't think there's really anything wrong with the C-lect choke, I just don't particularly want it. I'd prefer to have just an 18.5" so I can use it as a backup HD gun or something to stick under the bed or what not. I guess what I'm asking is, is this something I should bother trying to sell/trade? Is it something someone might want or is there not much desire out there for them?

FWIW, I have an PolyChoke on an old Mossberg 500 and it was a fantastic device in the pre-choke tube era. Some never liked them (or the C-Lect) as they thought they were not aesthetically pleasing. But what was really cool is how quickly you could change the choke constrictions. A simple twist to go from Full to Mod or even Imp Cyl. Look at some gun shows and you can find an old smooth bore 18-1/2" barrel or 24" smooth bore rifled slug barrel pretty cheap...sometimes $80 or less for a barrel in decent shape.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    My sons cheap old Ted Williams Sears 12g which is really a Winchester semi auto has a c-lect choke - works fine and has busted many clays on the sporting clays range--think I paid $149 at a pawn shop for it --Its ugly but those old C-lect chokes work ok --the gun is not worth a whole lot so just chop it off if you want- but you could find another barrel without too much problem.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You could try to sell it on ebay but I won't expect to get much more than a few bucks for it since you can buy a whole shotgun with one for under $100.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'd make an offer. Sold my last long Mossberg barrel for $40. Sound fair? Although I'm not free till next week .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom