• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I love the caliber and love the 1911. I never thought of this combo before. Any body have one?
    Sig has the Nightmare version in it. I like the ballistics of the round and the 5" 1911 platform can really tame a round. This has to be a great shooter. Availability of ammo to me is a plus.

Might be my next purchase. Anyone?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I know not your answer however this round has really peaked my interest as of late.

It is not readily available to me or I think I'd switch over carry calibers. The G32 has peaked my interest as of late. Or another M&P Compact but in .357 instead of the .40 I carry now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Upfront , I like the .357Sig.

But in this instance you are going the long way around the bush to try to reinvent the wheel. The .357Sig was an endevor to fit .38Super ballistics into a 9x19/ .40 length action. If you're going to be using an actual 1911 platform , just follow the natural order of the universe, and use .38Super, or even better 9x23 .

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I know not your answer however this round has really peaked my interest as of late.

It is not readily available to me or I think I'd switch over carry calibers. The G32 has peaked my interest as of late. Or another M&P Compact but in .357 instead of the .40 I carry now.

I'm going with Photoracer's advice. I just ordered an HK 357 Sig 3.58-inch barrel for a USP Compact (under $170 shipped - putative 20,000 round lifetime). Although I'm loathe to mention this caliber with Chad in the thread , I'm now shopping for a good deal on the more plentiful HK USP Compact in 40 S&W, 10 rounds standard capacity. Other than the barrel, everything in the gun including mags is cross-compatible. Drop in the 357 Sig barrel, and it's ready to run.

For high performance 357 Sig ammo, the specs on what Underwood Ammo sells (albeit at 60 cpr) are pretty impressive. Of course one can practice a bit more cheaply with the "other" barrel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm going with Photoracer's advice. I just ordered an HK 357 Sig 3.58-inch barrel for a USP Compact (under $170 shipped - putative 20,000 round lifetime). Although I'm loathe to mention this caliber with Chad in the thread , I'm now shopping for a good deal on the more plentiful HK USP Compact in 40 S&W, 10 rounds standard capacity. Other than the barrel, everything in the gun including mags is cross-compatible. Drop in the 357 Sig barrel, and it's ready to run.

For high performance 357 Sig ammo, the specs on what Underwood Ammo sells (albeit at 60 cpr) are pretty impressive. Of course one can practice a bit more cheaply with the "other" barrel.

USP is one of the great platforms for the .40S&W. Its warrantied for life from HK too if you have a problem.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Years ago I called Lou Camillo up and talked to him about taking a Para Ordanance P16 limited 40 and rebarreling it to Sig, His response was a 1911 with a para-clark ramp was a no go for 357 sig.
    I took his word for it, He has never steered me wrong. Coop

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Years ago I called Lou Camillo up and talked to him about taking a Para Ordanance P16 limited 40 and rebarreling it to Sig, His response was a 1911 with a para-clark ramp was a no go for 357 sig.
    I took his word for it, He has never steered me wrong. Coop

Thanks for the info!

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    You mite want to try a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm........:-)

I'd have to agree with this. If I wanted to get a 1911 in anything other than 45 ACP it would be 10mm. You can get a 135 gr bullet reaching velocity of 1400 fps with a 10 mm, which is better than a 125gr Speer Gold Dot. Of course I'm sure you have a pretty good source of .357Sig too, that's why you want to stick with it ;)

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Maryland Gun Works Baby. He has built me a few over the years.. my first was a Mod 10 S&W ...he turned it into a PPC gun... Big fat slabsided barrel and a Bomar Rib.. lol. He was working part time back then.. He's a good guy..

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Attachments

• 357.jpg
      357.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 283

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads