• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Then why have on the application that you can have a bank letter saying you have cash flow when they are just going to ask you for bank statements/receipts...

You only need the bank letter. The application packet is clear: deposit slips OR a bank letter. The Trooper may need you to remind him/her of this.

As others have said they could care less about sensitive info. I have clients who were O'Malley high level appointees, it made no difference. They only cared about money (does not have to be cash). I did eventually get restrictions modified to include the transporting of valuables.

Martinjstn1

Feb 23, 2015
    SBY
    You only need the bank letter. The application packet is clear: deposit slips OR a bank letter. The Trooper may need you to remind him/her of this.

As others have said they could care less about sensitive info. I have clients who were O'Malley high level appointees, it made no difference. They only cared about money (does not have to be cash). I did eventually get restrictions modified to include the transporting of valuables.

That's what i figured. I was thinking of emailing him (we have a thread going), any advice on how to "remind" him without lowering my chances at getting my permit?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That's what i figured. I was thinking of emailing him (we have a thread going), any advice on how to "remind" him without lowering my chances at getting my permit?

Just tell them its private information and not required as far as you can tell via the application instructions.
    You might not change any minds. If they deny, just appeal, you would most likely win the appeal.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    Or just give them what they want....

Might not like it but you gotta play by their rules to get the prize

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Show the Trooper a copy of the application's instructions. Some Troopers are just dumb, or have so much time and ego invested they don't want anyone else to be able to exercise their rights.
    If you continue to have a problem, post here and I will PM you a copy of the policy the Trooper is supposed to follow.
    He can make a recommendation, based on his investigation, but the decision is made by the licensing division.

Martinjstn1

Feb 23, 2015
    SBY
    Show the Trooper a copy of the application's instructions. Some Troopers are just dumb, or have so much time and ego invested they don't want anyone else to be able to exercise their rights.
    If you continue to have a problem, post here and I will PM you a copy of the policy the Trooper is supposed to follow.
    He can make a recommendation, based on his investigation, but the decision is made by the licensing division.

Will do thanks for looking out!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There is a lot you can learn about dealing with, and triumphing over a bureaucracy, by reading Dilbert ;)

Martinjstn1

Feb 23, 2015
    SBY
    OK, had the interview today.

He basically made the whole thing about trying to get my bank statements, which i had but didnt want to give. Instead I gave him some invoices. He also told me protection of assets only count if we are talking about gold/diamonds and other than that they wont recognize assets. He then told me he doesnt know what qualifications make an applicant pass or fail, so im not sure how he can tell me what assets i would need and also what bank statements i would need.

He also told me my business bank account records were not personal...... what.....

either way i feel confident about the interview.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    OK, had the interview today.

He basically made the whole thing about trying to get my bank statements, which i had but didnt want to give. Instead I gave him some invoices. He also told me protection of assets only count if we are talking about gold/diamonds and other than that they wont recognize assets. He then told me he doesnt know what qualifications make an applicant pass or fail, so im not sure how he can tell me what assets i would need and also what bank statements i would need.

He also told me my business bank account records were not personal...... what.....

either way i feel confident about the interview.

If you had this info, why didn't you show it to the trooper? I am not saying their process is appropriate, but you seemed to be uncooperative with the trooper.

fax6202

Mar 13, 2013
    Are there any FFLs on here that used that as a justification. I am an FFL07 and transport firearms regularly from shipping centers, gun shows, auctions, etc.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Are there any FFLs on here that used that as a justification. I am an FFL07 and transport firearms regularly from shipping centers, gun shows, auctions, etc.

Transportation of firearms works if its for a business you own. thats how I got mine. I showed zero bank transactions.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Protection of property is NOT justification for lethal force.

So why must a person demonstrate they have valuables to get a permit? For the same reason we want our police and security folks armed - it discourages criminal behavior.

Why are citizens forced to 'get permission' from a police agency to exercise the fundimential and Constitutionally protected right of self defense?

This entire system is out of order.

The irony of ironies is that even police officers who enforce these illegal orders and processes are themselves victimized by the very system they support. I've heard from several former police officers (and agents, and other former security types) about how difficult it was for them to get permit. Some were denied, told that their former police/security status didn't meet some arbitrary and capricious standard, a standard that does not exist.

Bottom line is that society is safer when there are good people who are armed, trained, and willing to do the right thing when life and death are on the line. So the officer who denies your permit, the bureaucrat that made these twisted laws and policies are all victims of their own deeds. They themselves and their families are LESS safe because they discouraged or prevented an otherwise law abiding citizen from legally carrying a tool that could be used in an extreme emergency from protecting them or their family.

If my job were to enforce illegal laws I would not do it. Shame on every man and woman who does such a thing. I served my country, I continue to serve in another capacity and I am ashamed that my brothers in blue have been subjugated to stoop so low.

Thank you to the vast majority of officers (active and retired) who have put themselves at risk to help others. Thank you to the many Sherriffs all across this country who continue to set the standard and speak out against tyrannical laws, and the handful of troopers and others that are or were in a position to make things right and did.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Protection of property is NOT justification for lethal force.

So why must a person demonstrate they have valuables to get a permit? For the same reason we want our police and security folks armed - it discourages criminal behavior.

Why are citizens forced to 'get permission' from a police agency to exercise the fundimential and Constitutionally protected right of self defense?

This entire system is out of order.

The irony of ironies is that even police officers who enforce these illegal orders and processes are themselves victimized by the very system they support. I've heard from several former police officers (and agents, and other former security types) about how difficult it was for them to get permit. Some were denied, told that their former police/security status didn't meet some arbitrary and capricious standard, a standard that does not exist.

Bottom line is that society is safer when there are good people who are armed, trained, and willing to do the right thing when life and death are on the line. So the officer who denies your permit, the bureaucrat that made these twisted laws and policies are all victims of their own deeds. They themselves and their families are LESS safe because they discouraged or prevented an otherwise law abiding citizen from legally carrying a tool that could be used in an extreme emergency from protecting them or their family.

If my job were to enforce illegal laws I would not do it. Shame on every man and woman who does such a thing. I served my country, I continue to serve in another capacity and I am ashamed that my brothers in blue have been subjugated to stoop so low.

Thank you to the vast majority of officers (active and retired) who have put themselves at risk to help others. Thank you to the many Sherriffs all across this country who continue to set the standard and speak out against tyrannical laws, and the handful of troopers and others that are or were in a position to make things right and did.

Well said Minuteman. :clap: Hopefully Superintendent Pollazzi agrees with you, exercises the discretion which the MGA affords the Superintendent via current statute and acts accordingly.

Unfortunately I understand that the rank and file MSP, under the weight of an influx of carry and wear applications since Governor Hogan was elected and Colonel Pollazzi was appointed - and absent any new direction on processing applications - has been directed by mid-level MSP to screen new applications for "good and substantial" under the prior Superintendent's policies. Those initially deemed "self-defense as a matter of right" by the screening trooper are not to be thoroughly investigated. Simply put, MSP is still favoring the processing of applications with a documented "special need" ($) above that of those premised on general self-defense. I will never understand or accept how one person's self-defense can be less important than another's. :sad20: But I don't blame the rank and file who are in essence "carrying on" until they are directed to implement a policy change from the leadership.

Of course, none of this is to suggest something can't change in the very near future, and I remain cautiously optimistic that the newly "sworn" Superintendent will revise the policy even if he does so quietly and without unnecessary fanfare. There are enough good folks with applications in the pipeline that we will soon know how this chapter turns out.

It is clear that the MGA has yet again "desk-drawered" their obligation to clarify "good and substantial," and thereby continue to delegate that authority to the Superintendent. The MGA had their chance and has passed - yet again. The Superintendent need not be shy about exercising his conscience.

Martinjstn1

Feb 23, 2015
    SBY
    Hey guys! First post :)

I have an appointment this coming week for my carry permit.

Here's the catch: I went to the bank, got an official paper saying i have a business account with consistent monetary flow, yada yada yada, exactly what the app says to do.

He called me today and told me he needed more information, he said he doesn't need exactly bank statement but he needs to know substantial amounts that were deposited. I DO have this information, and the deposits are fairly substantial, BUT i don't feel it is his right to have said information.

I don't want to show up to the interview and be like yea, its none-ya business how much my company makes, but i want to deny him access to the information without being rejected for my permit.

Thanks for any responses,
    Justin

PS. I made the app focus on protection of assets (with particular attention away from cash) and/or protection of company information, i.e. sensitive client info on business phone.

Just chiming back in because some of you wanted to know my outcome.

Got the permit yesterday for "business financial transactions", only taking 58 business days and 82(ish) calender days.

For the record I didn't have to show them any of the companies personal info, just had to do what the app said. (even the interviewing trooper said they would contact me because they are going to need more info than what i provided because anyone can go out and start a business and get a bank letter saying they have significant cash flow :mad54:. He also told me my companies info was not personal :mad54:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So the investigating trooper said you'd need to provide more info yet you now have received a permit? If I'm reading g that correctly it continues to prove that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
    Edit to add: Also shows the trooper was clueless and true to past stories they're still making chit up as they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom