• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I saw that MDSP lists this as an exemption for training:

5) You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

Would NRA First Steps Pistol qualify? I took this just to satisfy the requirements of an out of state permit. I know how to shoot and would rather not sit through a 16 hour class if I can avoid it.

Thanks all.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    First steps is listed as a 4 hour class. NO WAY.Doesn't work in my opinion the NRA basic pistol class should count for 8 hours of your training provided that the other 8 give you the additional material.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I sort of doubted it too, but I did not see such a list so I figured I'd ask.
    www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportSe...Registration/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Stupid msp website..and their https.

Won't let me link their page

Wear and Carry Permit training is 16 hours of instruction for an original application and 8 hours of instruction for a renewal application. The approved training is offered by a Qualified Handgun Instructor and will include instruction on state firearm law, home firearm safety, handgun mechanisms and operation, and a component that requires the applicant to demonstrate gun safety and proficiency with a minimum score of 70% accuracy.

Designated security personnel (security guards, private detectives, special police, and armored car drivers/guards) must shoot a practical police course of at least 50 rounds, from no further than 25 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

All other applicants must shoot a course of at least 25 rounds, from no further than 15 yards and score at least 70% accuracy.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Remember , it's not about you becoming competant , it's about throwing up roadblocks to discourage applicants. Until 2013 when Permits were only on the horizon for the privledged and the political , non-profesionals had zero training requirements , and that had worked w/o issue for 41 years.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I saw that MDSP lists this as an exemption for training:

5) You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

Would NRA First Steps Pistol qualify? I took this just to satisfy the requirements of an out of state permit. I know how to shoot and would rather not sit through a 16 hour class if I can avoid it.

Thanks all.

No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom