• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    To add to the level of "interesting" there are now enough Republicans in the house, that if the caucus wanted to, they could petition a bill out of committee.

What does this mean to the public? Anything that is Desk Drawered, could be petitioned out to be voted on by the entire House.

How does that help us, when the Democrats still hold the majority? For the first time in a long time, we can get an actual look at how Delegates feel about issues, and then hold them accountable for that actual vote. It gives us a form of leverage we have not had in quite a long time.

Just food for thought.

A smart Republican caucus would see that this election was all about tax-and-spend policy failures and tie everything they want to economic issues. Don't like a requirement? Tie it to a cost center/tax money wastefulness. Want to add something? Show how it'll save money or attract business. Tie everything to the economy and force votes on everything. Hit them while they're running scared.

Code:

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    So far not too bad, any chance of SB281 going away?

Going away completely? Zero.

At least some chance that it could be chipped away at, but that's about it. We'll need a different GA before we can start making progress on that level.

Code:

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Vallario is moving on? That's music to my ears.:thumbsup:

Really? I hope you mean that the music is destroying your ears because any replacement of Vallario, when that happens, will be incredibly bad. I can't understand how short sighted people are.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

He was actually very respectful toward us, letting everyone be heard and sitting there until zero-dark-thirty listening to all of our testimony. Who is going to take his place? Dumais?

Mr H

Banana'd
    He was actually very respectful toward us, letting everyone be heard and sitting there until zero-dark-thirty listening to all of our testimony. Who is going to take his place? Dumais?

Yes...

Vallario is not necessarily an enemy. He is, however subjected to the pressures of the political machine by way of Busch (who, IMO, should be pressed as I feel he is weakened in his district).

Dumais is an avowed agitator.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Nice stuff. If it gets out of the chairman's desk drawer, it might get voted on. Didn't get anywhere last time around.

Well at least the as***le who used to do that is moving to a new job.;)

You seem to be missing some of the intricacies of the MD assembly.

If a gun bill gets to the floor it can be completely stripped of all it's original language and turned around.

Remember when the HQL came up the first time? That started off as a bill to make it easier for LEO's to renew their permits or some such. Frosh stripped all the original language out on the floor and replaced it with the HQL. We defeated it that time.

Vallario was a big help to us by keeping pro gun bills that had votes to get out of committee but not pass the floor from getting out and becoming anti gun bills.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

If a gun bill gets to the floor it can be completely stripped of all it's original language and turned around.

Remember when the HQL came up the first time? That started off as a bill to make it easier for LEO's to renew their permits or some such. Frosh stripped all the original language out on the floor and replaced it with the HQL. We defeated it that time.

Vallario was a big help to us by keeping pro gun bills that had votes to get out of committee but not pass the floor from getting out and becoming anti gun bills.

Isn't Vallario the best friend of Casa de Maryland? Looking at issues other than 2A wouldn't that make him an enemy of most in the Conservative ranks? Please correct me if I am wrong on the Casa de Maryland issue.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I don't know about the CASA issue, but you bring up an important point.

When we communicate with the GA members, we should be bringing up multiple issues, and keep them engaged on more than just 2A.

I've discovered that focusing only on 2A tends to annoy, and you get turned off.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Unfortunately, if we wanna be taken seriously, we gotta play ball.
    The landscape is looking brighter though.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Now I'm getting confused. Isn't Vallario still in his seat, and (who knows?) still likely to be committee chair? Maybe the a$$hole in the reference used to be on the senate side, said a$$hole is no longer in the senate and that committee will indeed have a new chair. And while I'm talking about posterior apertures, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Busch nearly lost his seat in the general, does anybody have any more information about that?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Now I'm getting confused. Isn't Vallario still in his seat, and (who knows?) still likely to be committee chair? Maybe the a$$hole in the reference used to be on the senate side, said a$$hole is no longer in the senate and that committee will indeed have a new chair. And while I'm talking about posterior apertures, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Busch nearly lost his seat in the general, does anybody have any more information about that?

There is no change in the JUD Chair. We can't afford for there to be right now.

Busch finished (IIRC) third in his district. He's still Speaker, but I wonder if he's lost some of his sheen.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

My quote was directed at the POS Frosh moving on to AG.
    And I'd rather see a bill get onto the floor than to be desk drawer vetoed, at least others have a chance to act on it.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    With Kelly Schulz taking a job in Hogan's cabinet, will that impact the filing of these bills since she pre-filed them?

There are some chances that these can go forward with her taking the cabinet position, but other legislators can easily pick these up as sponsor......

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

No, he is staying, but he at least would work with us and let us know if we had a chance, whereas Frosh would close and lock his door to us.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    They all might get voted on. But does anyone really think they'd get approved? In the House of Delegates the Dems still have a 2 to 1 advantage. These are mostly the same people who brought us the FSA 2013.

The diminutive credit very well could pass. This is the one where it passed on original vote, then people were called back from their break to have a re-vote. We have also picked up 9 seats this year. I see this one passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom