What is "unlawful possession of ammunition"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    I just read an article about some drug arrests where the perpetrators were charged with "multiple counts of unlawful possession of ammunition". All were 21 or older.

What does that mean and what if any ammunition laws does Maryland have?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I just read an article about some drug arrests where the perpetrators were charged with "multiple counts of unlawful possession of ammunition". All were 21 or older. What does that mean and what if any ammunition laws does Maryland have?

The fsa2013 added the following clause to the MD statute:

5–133.1.
    (A) IN THIS SECTION, “AMMUNITION” MEANS A CARTRIDGE, SHELL, OR ANY OTHER DEVICE CONTAINING EXPLOSIVE OR INCENDIARY MATERIAL DESIGNED AND INTENDED FOR USE IN A FIREARM.
    (B) A PERSON MAY NOT POSSESS AMMUNITION IF THE PERSON IS PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM UNDER § 5–133 (B) OR (C) OF THIS SUBTITLE.
    (C) A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 1 YEAR OR A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $1000 OR BOTH.

Jun 20, 2014
    It used to be if you were under 21, you could not buy or possess any ammo for a hand gun. Not sure if that is still the case.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    It does. 18 U.S.C. 922

Not to completely hijack the conversation, but that presents a major problem for medical or recreational marijuana users, regardless of whether anyone has charged or convicted them for use/possession and regardless of what their state law is on the subject, yes? They probably can't even reload their own ammo (let alone own a firearm in which to use it) thanks to Gonzales v. Raich.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Not to completely hijack the conversation, but that presents a major problem for medical or recreational marijuana users, regardless of whether anyone has charged or convicted them for use/possession and regardless of what their state law is on the subject, yes? They probably can't even reload their own ammo (let alone own a firearm in which to use it) thanks to Gonzales v. Raich.

The only thing is that there may not be an offense under Title 21 USC for "use". I've seen it for possession, manufacturing, distribution, and sale. But doing a quick search I don't see an offense for "use". That might mean that the only "use" offenses are under state law. So if a state no longer criminalizes "use", how can they be an "unlawful user" if use isn't defined as a crime? Still an "unlawful possessor", but that isn't the prohibition under 18USC922.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Yup, sure does. Marijuana possession remains a violation of federal law; state law is irrelevant.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The only thing is that there may not be an offense under Title 21 USC for "use". I've seen it for possession, manufacturing, distribution, and sale. But doing a quick search I don't see an offense for "use". That might mean that the only "use" offenses are under state law. So if a state no longer criminalizes "use", how can they be an "unlawful user" if use isn't defined as a crime? Still an "unlawful possessor", but that isn't the prohibition under 18USC922.

Your point is correct. Of course, you can't use it without possessing it. And it is a rare user that doesn't leave some of it around before and after. Short answer: If you want to legally possess guns. stay award completely from illegal drugs, including marijuana.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Your point is correct. Of course, you can't use it without possessing it. And it is a rare user that doesn't leave some of it around before and after. Short answer: If you want to legally possess guns. stay award completely from illegal drugs, including marijuana.

But it has to be a conviction for possession. Mere possession isn't listed disqualifying in 922g.

Not that I approve of use or possession. But I think the decriminalizing in a few states has opened a fuzzy area, as the use is no longer "unlawful" in that state, and I'm not sure there is a "use" crime under T21USC.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    But it has to be a conviction for possession. Mere possession isn't listed disqualifying in 922g.

Not that I approve of use or possession. But I think the decriminalizing in a few states has opened a fuzzy area, as the use is no longer "unlawful" in that state, and I'm not sure there is a "use" crime under T21USC.

Sure. And a federal conviction will fully suffice. But you are quite right, the risk goes down a lot if the state has decrim. it under state law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom