• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    That's not a quote from COMAR, its the MSP website writer ... if its not correct, its not their first error.

Can you find this in COMAR?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    That's not a quote from COMAR, its the MSP website writer ... if its not correct, its not their first error.

Can you find this in COMAR?

Not sure, but I'll look for it.

I just spent over an hour looking through COMAR. My head hurts. I read every reg I could find concerning firearms. I could not find anything that said dealers could only charge $20 plus $10 to the state.

This is stated on the mdsp website but I did not see it anywhere. Maybe Someone else knows if it exists.

Until I see it in COMAR, it seems like an error in the mdsp website.

Last edited:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    R&R, nice post (the OP). Although it should be common sense, perhaps add a bit in the OP to make certain the firearm is unloaded before taking it to the barracks. As you said, they will come out to inspect the firearm, and they will first check if it's loaded before verifying the description and serial number. If it's loaded and the seller doesn't have a carry permit, there's potential trouble (and even with a permit, it's really bad form). In my experience, I'll open the trunk of the vehicle, point out the closed hard case to the trooper, and step away but in view.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Important detail, thanks, and I am adding it to the Original Post in this thread, which is commonly referred to by the regulars here as the OP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And they will come outside to inspect the firearm ..... Except when they ask you to bring it in instead.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I've done a transfer as the buyer twice at the Glen Burnie barracks, even so I find the OP's post is a good recap of the process. This should probably be a sticky somewhere. One thing to add, besides the barracks, you can also use the MSP HQ in Pikesville, but they won't do transfers 24/7 there. If you want to transfer at Pikesville, call ahead and confirm their hours.

Thanks, duly noted and added to the Original Post.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Nice write up. Has a anyone done an in-family transfer where the registered owner is deceased? I am working on my will and would like to include similarly detailed instructions to assist my heirs.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There seems to be a lot of posts from new members unsure of how to sell, acquire or transfer a modern handgun without help from a gun store, or about how to conduct a transfer at the least cost.

The answer, for you new members, is the Maryland State Police barracks transfer, which is FREE when the transfer occurs between eligible family members, or only $10 to do sale/transfer paperwork between other Buyers and Sellers.

I, myself, am doing another MSP barracks transfer again this week, so I have written this fairly comprehensive step-by-step guide. Here goes:

A Maryland modern handgun owner can sell or transfer to another eligible Marylander by completing Maryland Firearm Transfer paperwork at any Maryland State Police barracks. Each barracks has the paperwork needed and will guide people in how to fill them out and the cost is only $10 for unrelated Buyers and Sellers.

Pick a MD State Police barracks--there are 22 of them spread out across the state. It doesn't hurt to call ahead to let them know you are coming. They are supposed to be available to do this 24 hours a day, but service call volume might make one hour better than another. You can also do the sales/transfer paperwork at the Maryland State Police HQ in Pikesville, but you must call the HQ for the particular hours they do it. Here is the list of the barracks:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/FieldOperationsBureau/Barracks.aspx

The Seller brings the firearm to the MSP barracks and meets the Buyer in the parking lot. (Before making the trip the Seller will have double-checked to see that the firearm is UNLOADED, so as not to risk an arrest). Using a trunk or cargo area as a table top, the Buyer inspects the firearm for sale, but both of you take care to shield the firearm from the view of any third party, so as not create any alarm. The Seller then returns the firearm to its travel case and LEAVES IT IN THE TRUNK. No money should change hands at this point.

The Buyer and Seller then proceed into the barracks lobby--sometimes by pressing a security buzzer--and approach the sliding glass duty window, again WITHOUT the firearm. The Buyer will have their Handgun Qualification License on hand, plus a $10 US Postal Service money order or personal check made out to the "Maryland State Police". If the Seller offers to pay the $10, no problem, but the MSP does NOT accept cash.

Tell the trooper on duty you wish to conduct a transfer and follow their instructions about paperwork, and about how and when the firearm is handled to verify the model and serial number. There are three scenarios with the firearm:

About a third of the the time a trooper accompanies the Seller outside to inspect the firearm in the trunk of the Seller's vehicle to get the model and serial number, and the firearm is not brought inside. About a third of the time the trooper accompanies the Seller outside and the trooper takes possession of the firearm and brings it inside. Or the trooper on duty will instruct the Seller to retrieve the firearm and bring it--cased up-- into the barracks to hand off to the trooper for inspection.

Be very careful to follow the trooper's exact instructions on firearm handling. REPEAT: their exact instructions.

The Seller and Buyer will be asked for their Driver's Licenses and the Buyer for his or her HQL. Be aware that during the time you are there the MSP will check to see if the firearm rightfully belongs to the Seller and whether either of you have any warrants. The troopers will cuff you up immediately if you do.

Note to Buyers: remember to check the Designated Collector box at the top of the paperwork if you are a DC. Also the first four digits of your HQL number will be the year you received it and these digits ARE PART OF YOUR FULL NUMBER. Your personal info goes in the "TRANSFEREE" section.

Note to Sellers: on the top of the paperwork you will check the "SECONDARY SALE" box and your personal info will go in the "TRANSFEROR" section NOT the "Dealer" section.

The trooper will complete the Firearm Section with make, model , serial number, etc, or in a rare case have you do it but he/she will check it. If the trooper does not tell you, ask the trooper his or her preference on this section.

After signing the bottom left corner of the WHITE top copy, the Buyer (Transferee) and Seller (Transferor) will both walk away with colored copies of the paperwork while the MSP keeps the WHITE original top copy and a few color copies behind it. Again, no money should change hands at this point--except for maybe a small "good faith" deposit--because the Seller must hold the firearm for another 8 days to honor Maryland's "Cooling Off Period". It is important to know that even though transfer paperwork has been completed by both Buyer and Seller at the barracks, the firearm REMAINS THE PROPERTY OF THE SELLER until it is handed over to the Buyer at a second "signing ceremony" as described in the paragraph below.

Generally, it will take a week or two for the Seller to receive the Buyer's approval notice in the mail from the MSP. This mailing will include the ORIGINAL WHITE COPY that you signed and left with the trooper in the barracks. The Seller will then meet the Buyer anyplace that both parties mutually agree to so that both can sign the bottom of this WHITE copy again. This is the time for the Buyer to hand over the cash for the firearm. The Seller signs as the "Transferor" and hands over the handgun the Buyer signs as the "Transferee", with these signatures going on the bottom right corner.

After the Seller and Buyer sign the WHITE top copy, the Seller mails all of the pages--the WHITE and some color pages marked "Forensic Science Division"--back to the MSP by First Class mail. The MSP includes an info sheet with their return address in their mailing.

Caution to the Buyer: DO NOT FLASH THE FIREARM IN THE OPEN when the Seller hands it over. It's best for the Buyer to peek at it in the trunk--in its case--so as not to trigger a SWAT call out.

The Buyer should drive home directly with the firearm, or to the range and then directly home. When traveling with a firearm, be aware you may be followed if a Bad Guy sees what he believes is a firearm or firearms case during the hand-off, so use care. If you think you are being followed make two U-turns quickly. If someone follows you though the second U-turn, call 911 on your cell and report your situation.

God speed.

PS: Some will say Sellers are free to hand-over the firearm after 8 days, even if the paperwork has not been received back yet. For Newbies, I recommend that you wait until the paperwork comes back with the official approval, which will be indicated on the WHITE copy with the non-sensical phrase "Not Disapproved" stamped on the middle of the page in large letters.

ALSO: I have incorporated in this Original Post the many fine suggestions from posts and questions that follow in this thread, which is why some issues and explanations show up twice. I encourage you to print-out this post and take it with you for reference on your first MSP barracks transfer.

I would respectfully argue that the answer, for all you new members, is to acquaint yourselves with the SEARCH function of the forum. Not only will you likely find your answer(s), you also find a wealth of other information and how to access it quickly by your own doing, without asking someone else to do the work for you.:innocent0

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My experience is that info on this subject is in bits and pieces all over the forum and not easily compiled using SEARCH.

My unspoken goal is to throw the spotlight on ANY PATH THAT ENCOURAGES MORE FIREARM COMMERCE in Maryland. It's win-win because the folks selling a used handgun via the low-cost MSP transfer are then taking the cash and heading to our local gun stores to buy new firearms. This is certainly what I am seeing in my deals.

As it is, I used a snow day to do my write up, and I am happy to help new folks the way I was helped here when I signed on.

I can tell you that I did not have confidence to try airline travel with a handgun until swinokur and MPDC45 posted their soup-to-nuts real-world guidance on the process. There message: JUST DO IT!. And I did, and I am super grateful for that.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    For Montgomery County folks: Avoid Rockville Barracks. They're rude, unprofessional, and have no EFFING clue how to do the paperwork. I will gladly split the transfer fee with buyer/seller at a local FFL rather than deal with MSP ever again.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My last two deals have been at the Rockville barracks. This is where one trooper told me to "take it to a gun store". I said "Sir, I want to use this option" and stood there in a staring contest. He handed over the paperwork.

I say, check your emotions at the door, be polite and firm, and say that you are there to do use the MSP barracks option offered by the State, and get it done. Again, they stall about this because some are embarrassed that they don't know handguns well enough to identify serial numbers and run the checks. So you politely point out the make, model and serial number and double-check anything a trooper writes on the form.

Don't allow rude state functionaries to deprive you of a lawful option. If you do, you are giving in. Cowboy up and keep the process on track for the next guy or gal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nice write up. Has a anyone done an in-family transfer where the registered owner is deceased? I am working on my will and would like to include similarly detailed instructions to assist my heirs.

The executor of the estate takes the role of the deceased unless for some reason the executor is a prohibited person. In that case, the executor appoints someone to the duty.

Its as simple as that.

If you are setting things up beforehand, just make sure the executor you appoint in your will is not a prohibited person.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The executor of the estate takes the role of the deceased unless for some reason the executor is a prohibited person. In that case, the executor appoints someone to the duty.

Its as simple as that.

If you are setting things up beforehand, just make sure the executor you appoint in your will is not a prohibited person.

ok, thanks.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    So - what happens if the transfer paperwork goes through (comes back not denied), but the buyer or the seller change their mind? Won't the gun now be in the buyer's name?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    So - what happens if the transfer paperwork goes through (comes back not denied), but the buyer or the seller change their mind? Won't the gun now be in the buyer's name?

No, because the ownership doesn't really transfer until both parties sign the paperwork a second time. If the deal falls apart, or the buyer comes back disapproved, the seller has legal possession.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Which is why I prefer to do it through an FFL.

Meet there. Inspect.

Pay seller, it is now MINE.

FFL takes firearm, logs in, does 77R, I pickup 8 days later.

sprad85

Jun 14, 2015
    Maryland gun registration/transfer

Hey everyone, so my step-father bought me a ar-15, specifically a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport. I have already had it shipped to a gun store, The Armory in Annapolis, through a FFL dealer in WV. I have already picked up the firearm and paid the transfer fee, and filled out background paperwork. My question is do I have to register it in MD, or did the gun store do that when I did paperwork and paid the transfer fee? Please let me know if any of you have knowledge on this. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom