• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sako204

Nov 7, 2012
    http://tinyurl.com/jl5otkv (Great video at this link)

CPRC’s Testimony before the Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee on four bills dealing with eliminating gun-free zones

11 Feb , 2016

On Tuesday, February 9th, CPRC President John Lott testified on four bills seeking to limit gun-free zones (SB 1559 (Senator Mike Bell), SB 1736 (Senator Delores Gresham), SB 1991 (Judiciary Committee Chairman Kelsey), and SB 2376 (Senator Mike Bell)). The video of Lott’s testimony is well worth watching and it provided powerful evidence on how killers plan these attacks and how mass public shooters are attracted to these targets. Lott began his testimony with a case in Detroit, Michigan that had just become public the day before where an ISIS sympathizer had planned to attack one of the largest churches in the Detroit area because “people are not allowed to carry guns in church.” Other cases that he discussed are available here. For those who don’t want to buy Lott’s books, an early discussion of Lott’s work with the University of Chicago’s Bill Landes on mass public shootings from 1977 to 1999 is available here (more up-to-date information is available in Chapter 6 of The Bias Against Guns and to a lesser extent in Chapter 10 of More Guns, Less Crime). A list of mass public shootings at universities from 1992 through June 2014 is available here (a graph of K-12 school fatalities and the sources for that data over the same period is also available there). Finally, a discussion of the rate of shootings in gun-free zones is available here.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    John Lott testified before the gun committees some years ago. They paid attention to the facts he presented about like they listen to the truth today.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    John Lott testified before the gun committees some years ago. They paid attention to the facts he presented about like they listen to the truth today.

But when a law is challenged in court, the legislative history, including testimony, can come into play and be critical when interpreting what was intended by, e.g. vague terms, and more importantly, when applying strict scrutiny.

Both sides routinely try to pepper the history with things that support their position, then say, "Let the courts decide."

See what the Courts have done, for example, when simply interpreting what the founders meant when they drafted the 2A language. Individual or group right? Muskets or AR15's? The testimony and debate can matter.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    But when a law is challenged in court, the legislative history, including testimony, can come into play and be critical when interpreting what was intended by, e.g. vague terms, and more importantly, when applying strict scrutiny.

Both sides routinely try to pepper the history with things that support their position, then say, "Let the courts decide."

See what the Courts have done, for example, when simply interpreting what the founders meant when they drafted the 2A language. Individual or group right? Muskets or AR15's? The testimony and debate can matter.

So you're planning for 10 years from now?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    So you're planning for 10 years from now?

Sure. The other side is. The Founding Fathers were, and most of it lasted for a couple of centuries. Marxists have been at it for 100 years in the schools, government, legal system, media, entertainment, and industry.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    John Lott just testified in TN about gun free zones. Why wouldn't we want him to come here and give the MGA the benefit of his research and expertise?

Can some of our 2A friendly reps extend an invitation to him?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    John Lott just testified in TN about gun free zones. Why wouldn't we want him to come here and give the MGA the benefit of his research and expertise?

Can some of our 2A friendly reps extend an invitation to him?

John Lott told me to my face that MD was a waste of time and a lost cause.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Well then, I suppose the invitation can be sent to someone else, or we have to rely on ourselves.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

He does counter-attack JHU's Daniel Webster on a routine basis, which in a roundabout way helps our cause.

I think Lott's position, like that of SAF, and until very recently the NRA, is that the problems of the PRofMD aren't our laws, but those who make them. And like many MDSers, MD citizens have finally woken up to that fact and begun replacing them. It took more than stripping us of our 2A rights to wake up a sleeping citizenry. AFA having "Jack as a Fellow", like I just said, the citizenry are waking up ...

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You don't have to be someone of John Lott's stature to see that Maryland is a waste of time and a lost cause where gun rights are concerned.

As long as the masses (who are asses) continue to elect the likes of Brian Frosh and Martin O'Malley, and the rest of the ultra-liberal turds who pollute the senate and house, things are not going to change here in Maryland. The masses (who are asses) and their elected cronies have never bothered to let facts stand in the way of their agenda before - why would they start now?

The real problem is that the masses, by and large, are idiots - they aren't educated, and don't even want to be - they lap of whatever is offered to them by the media here in the state, like the sheeple they are, and continue to elect the liberal boobs who promise them the most free stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom