• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Those are all proposed bills and unless some have been added today, there are still no anti-gun bills on deck.

Honestly, I think that is the point that strikes me. No anti-gun bills... yeah, moving forward is going to be tough, but at least we stopped the bleeding while the hard work is being done.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Just thinking out loud here... and my guard is certainly not down... but without O'Mao being behind the big push for 'anti' legislation maybe the gun stuff is not that big of an issue with most delegates and that's why we are not seeing FSA13 quantity?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Don't get complacent about anti-gun bills. Even if none are filed, delegates can still try for amendments to must-pass legislation. It could only mean a change in tactics.

Fortunately, the single subject rule works in our favor here. You can't attach a firearm thing to a transportation bill, or a transportation thing to a firearms bill. The amendment has to be tangibly related to the subject matter of the bill to which it's being attached.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Just thinking out loud here... and my guard is certainly not down... but without O'Mao being behind the big push for 'anti' legislation maybe the gun stuff is not that big of an issue with most delegates and that's why we are not seeing FSA13 quantity?

Make no mistake, FSA13 was absolutely O'Malley's doing. Lots and lots (and lots...) of arm twisting to shake loose enough votes to screw us. To say nothing of the outright cheating that occurred in committee/floor votes.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    It's time for you to be quiet for a while. You are nothing more than a persistently negative force here who quite obviously has no intent to contribute anything of value.

Thank you, he's been at it for months. I think he purposely trolls MD 2A issues, please consider a perma-ban:)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Not saying we should accept mediocrity, but taking a step forward is better than a mile back.
    Such is true.

A full-scale repeal of FSA2013 would be nice, but that's wholly unrealistic with the MGA makeup like it currently is.
    Del. Grammar submitted that last year.
    I very much agree. My critique is that they're poking at the HQL around the edges. The HQL is annoying, but it can be worked around (especially the training requirement). The part of FSA2013 that had unavoidable consequences was the AWB portion. I'd like to see the tweaks directed in that area more than the HQL... but it doesn't seem like anyone's interested.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Don't get complacent about anti-gun bills. Even if none are filed, delegates can still try for amendments to must-pass legislation. It could only mean a change in tactics.

If you're thinking in terms of "National Park carry attached to a credit card bill", that can't happen here. Thankfully, MD has a single-subject requirement.

Now, could they try to poison a bill in-kind? Sure... but IMO it would be seen as blatant, and not helpful to the legislator's longer term interests.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Such is true. I very much agree. My critique is that they're poking at the HQL around the edges. The HQL is annoying, but it can be worked around (especially the training requirement). The part of FSA2013 that had unavoidable consequences was the AWB portion. I'd like to see the tweaks directed in that area more than the HQL... but it doesn't seem like anyone's interested.

Lessening the application fee and removal of the one shot components are good things. That'll broaden the places where the classes can be taught.

I don't think a lessening of the time required for the class or a removal of the HQL altogether possible at this time.

I'd love to see those who obtain the HQL eligible for W&C, but that's another tough pill.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Didn't see it elsewhere in this thread... HB0459, the "Fee, Surcharge, and Tax Reduction Act of 2016", proposed by Hogan eliminates the HQL fee entirely. This is a all-around great bill!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Personally I believe we should use the HQL to our advantage. Was it not part of "common sense" legislation? We should be using it to eliminate the 7 day wait. Ostensibly the purpose of the 7 day wait was to give MSP time to complete their background checks. Those checks are accomplished with the HQL. Opponents will counter that someone could become prohibited during the 10 year life of the HQL. Well if that happened, MSP should be taking the HQL along with the firearms. If it was something of a more minor issue that would still cause them to be prohibited in MD, then MD should be reporting those things to NICS and let the NICS work for all purchases including handguns (with the HQL).

Now for anyone who believes the 7 days is a "cooling off period", we can remind them that it either took nearly 30 days to get the HQL or it isn't their only handgun.

Common sense gun law, no?

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Such is true.

I very much agree. My critique is that they're poking at the HQL around the edges. The HQL is annoying, but it can be worked around (especially the training requirement). The part of FSA2013 that had unavoidable consequences was the AWB portion. I'd like to see the tweaks directed in that area more than the HQL... but it doesn't seem like anyone's interested.

I agree with you on this. The HQL is annoying but its no worse than applying for a carry permit in most states that I know of, certainly on par with VA. The AWB is the real problem.

Feb 28, 2013
    I agree with you on this. The HQL is annoying but its no worse than applying for a carry permit in most states that I know of, certainly on par with VA. The AWB is the real problem.

That would likely be the toughest problem to solve, since the entire law was born from a crime committed with an "AW".

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    he's one of the ones that has certain other users of this web forum calling names.

it was long overdue, and wpuld have prevented many other arguements had it been done sooner.

I'm sure I am out of line and know this is a private forum but in the spirit of 1a, I find it rather ironic that in a pro 2a forum people are banned simply for expressing views that the inner circle might find disagreeable.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm sure I am out of line and know this is a private forum but in the spirit of 1a, I find it rather ironic that in a pro 2a forum people are banned simply for expressing views that the inner circle might find disagreeable.

1A doesn't apply here, because like you said, this place is privately owned.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    A big oversimplification IMO.

It wasn't just a differing opinion, it was trolling and being a rabble-rouser and contributing zero to the forum. And it was done over, and over and over ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom