• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm looking at two scopes, one from Burris and the other from Leupold. They're both top companies with great warranties, but these are their entry level scopes. I realize I'm not getting the best glass for $200. It'll go on a sporter weight .30-06 Mauser, so resistance to recoil is important. Overall ruggedness is also important, since this is a hunting rifle and may get banged around. Not on purpose, of course, but things happen. And while the warranty is great, it doesn't help when you're out in the woods.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x40-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P7932.aspx

Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 QDManager

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-Rifleman-QDManager-Riflescope-P12126.aspx

Is one of these any better than the other? Is there something else to consider or should I just flip a coin? Not interested in spending much more than $200, unless of course both of these are downright awful.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Go with the Burris, I own several of the fullfield II BDC 3-9x40's very nice glass for the money. I would stay away from the Rifleman series from Leupold, definately the bottom of their product line.
    IIRC the rifleman is 1/2 MOA per click whereas the fullfield II are 1/4 MOA per click.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The Rifleman is made in China. Get the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 or Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. Both are made in USA by Leupold.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    I have Nikon or Burris on my firearms, including handguns and scout set-ups.... bought a Redfield Battlezone.. love it. Bought another Leupold, really liking it...

Go through the features, find what you like and buy it... everybody will have their opinions, you can't go wrong with either.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to avoid Nikon because their warranty isn't as inclusive as Burris or Leupold. The Redfield looks nice but I'd rather have a dot ranging system than the ring reticle.

I need to research the prices a bit more before I pick one. This is a low-budget project, which may become a loaner rifle. So if two scopes are close enough, the cheaper one is getting the nod.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to avoid Nikon because their warranty isn't as inclusive as Burris or Leupold. The Redfield looks nice but I'd rather have a dot ranging system than the ring reticle.

I need to research the prices a bit more before I pick one. This is a low-budget project, which may become a loaner rifle. So if two scopes are close enough, the cheaper one is getting the nod.

the ring reticle is surpisingly intuitive

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The Burris scopes are nice. I've got one on my 300WM. The only thing I don't like about them is, I like flip-up scope covers and they don't work very well on the Burris Fullfield II(unless they have changed the design) because when you adjust the ocular zoom on them, the whole rear bell rotates including the flip-up cap. Other than that, they are fine scopes for the money.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Burris Fullfield II or E1 would be a good choice. On my 30 06 elk rifle I have a Veracity 4-20. Burris has a lifetime warranty, that is unconditional on ALL of their products going back almost 44 years. Sorry im late to the party.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Nikon Pro-Staff.

^^^ Agreed. Actually, I like the whole Nikon line, from Pro-Staff, to (the older) BuckMasters, to the Monarch.

I did recently buy a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40mm ($189) and put it on a Savage Axis in .308.
    Haven't had a chance to go sight it in, but, it has a lifetime "no fault" warranty.
    Looking forward to seeing what this set-up can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom