• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a an 16" M4 style upper with a carbine length gas tube. I would like it cut down to 14.5" with the flash suppressor pinned/welded (to make it compliant). I live in Montgomery County.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Andy at engage has a smith on hand right? They 100% gotta be the go to guys for anything modern related. Get ahold of Nate!

If that doesn't work we do have an IP called Scott's GUNSMITHING

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have a an 16" M4 style upper with a carbine length gas tube. I would like it cut down to 14.5" with the flash suppressor pinned/welded (to make it compliant). I live in Montgomery County.

Or you could find someone with the configuration you want and trade.

Just a suggestion... :shrug:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Honestly that sounds like an awful lot of money for not a ton of change to the rifle.

You may be better off, financially, either selling that upper and buying the one you want or just buying another barrel and swapping them.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Sell your upper and buy one done. You lose a good bit of velocity with the shorter barrel. I have a 14.5 that lost it's luster to me when I saw the difference past 100yrds. It is nice having a compact non-sbr though.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hmm. Just how much is this going to cost?

Honestly I'm not sure, but even at what I think is a fairly low guesstimate of $75 for cutting and re - crowning, $50 for threading, and another $50 to pin and weld the muzzle device, you're talking $175-ish, and you can have a fairly nice new barrel for that kind of money. If I've under-guessed at the pricing, even more so.

The other option is that you just sell the upper you've got and buy a new one that meets your spec.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Sell your upper and buy one done. You lose a good bit of velocity with the shorter barrel. I have a 14.5 that lost it's luster to me when I saw the difference past 100yrds. It is nice having a compact non-sbr though.

Dont you know the cool thing is tacticool ARs with lots of rails and optics that are shot at targets 25 yards away? 100 yards, pftttttttttt......

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You will lose as much money selling and buying what you want as having it threaded.

Question is, how does it shoot now? If you have not fired it, DONT get work done till you do fire it.

Scott does fantastic work but you will wait a few months for him to get to your upper. He is a one man show and is super busy.

If you want fast turn around, go with ADCO.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You will lose as much money selling and buying what you want as having it threaded.

Question is, how does it shoot now? If you have not fired it, DONT get work done till you do fire it.

Scott does fantastic work but you will wait a few months for him to get to your upper. He is a one man show and is super busy.

If you want fast turn around, go with ADCO.

It shoots pretty well.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Ryan left. They're sans gunsmith at the moment, as per my conversation with them on Wednesday. Yes, this was inconvenient for me, too.

Correct, though that sort of thing would have gone to our machinist anyway. We are pretty much still equipped to do anything you'd need, though, whether it be in-house or the rare thing we have to give our machinist.

If you need a quick pin and weld it's $65 and turn around is a day or two, may be able to do it while you wait.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    PSA has a nice key mod upper on sale (14.5) for around $300 IIRC right now. Sell your old one and cut the difference.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Nate,

What happened to Ryan?

Correct, though that sort of thing would have gone to our machinist anyway. We are pretty much still equipped to do anything you'd need, though, whether it be in-house or the rare thing we have to give our machinist.

If you need a quick pin and weld it's $65 and turn around is a day or two, may be able to do it while you wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom