• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pigeon11

Dec 19, 2015
    Annapolis
    When I slide the bolt back in the gun after cleaning, is there a way to uncock it without dry firing? It doesn't seem right to leave the thing all tensed up like that but maybe it's not a big deal? Or maybe dry firing in this instance isn't the worst thing in the world?

The rifle is a Savage Mark II .22 which I gotta say is a sweet little rifle and a steal for the price imho. The AccuTrigger is so so smooth and intuitive and it's just plain fun to shoot this gun. It's my significant other's and we've both just started getting more into shooting. I picked up a 10/22 and spent way more money on that vs the Savage especially after putting in a trigger job kit and tech sights (which it desperately needed) and I find myself wanting to shoot the Savage over the Ruger a lot of the times. Don't get me wrong, I love both but everyone seems to jump on the 10/22 wagon so I wanted to spread the Savage gospel. If I could go back in time we might just have two...

But anyway, I just wanna make sure I'm taking care of things the way they should be. I have a CZ 527 joining the family soon so I want to get my bolt action cleaning down

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hold the trigger back when you close the bolt. Should release the firing spring tension. You can also use snap caps.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on the rimfire firearm.

Some positively stop the firing pin and are safe to dry fire.

Although, dropping the FP when cleaning once in a while, it unlikely to cause problems with MOST rimfires.

And springs do not suffer from being compressed. They suffer from being cycled. So leaving it cocked is not a big deal.

Do what makes you happy.

thai

May 8, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with dry firing a modern bolt action rifle. Nineties and later. It is actually great practice for trigger control, and proper mountin to practice to build muscle memory. I use to do so thousands of times with my Sako and Weatherbys when I was loading for them religiously.

Although having snap caps would be great safety wise. But after 20 years of dry firing without snap caps, my rifles are performing just as like new, maybe even smoother.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    There is nothing wrong with dry firing a modern bolt action rifle. Nineties and later. It is actually great practice for trigger control, and proper mountin to practice to build muscle memory. I use to do so thousands of times with my Sako and Weatherbys when I was loading for them religiously.

Although having snap caps would be great safety wise. But after 20 years of dry firing without snap caps, my rifles are performing just as like new, maybe even smoother.

Still a number of modern 22lr Rimfire's that recommend against dry firing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    22plinkster made a cool vid about making your own "snap cap" from a spent cartridge, but I can't find it right now.

You can make your own from a shell casing by pulling out the bullet and dumping the powder. Makes for entertainment when you fire it the first time to pop the primer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Still a number of modern 22lr Rimfire's that recommend against dry firing.

Which is why you READ the manual.

From CZ455 manual:

Unloading of the Rifle
    ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE RIFLE IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!
    - Remove the magazine in the manner as already described
    - Move the safety to its "Safety-Off" position in order that the bolt can be opened
    - Open the bolt and check to ensure that the cartridge has been extracted from the chamber and ejected
    - Close the bolt
    - Depress the trigger (dry fire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom