• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    I've shot a fellow member's Barrett w/ and w/o the Barret suppressor. Recoil seemed the same. I will concour that it sounds a lot like an unsuppresed 308.

I'd get a Serbu, Styer, Armalite, etc instead of a Barrett bolt gun.

Why's that? The Serbu is god awful looking. Regardless of it it was more accurate than the Barrett (doubtful) I still wouldn't buy it. Not to mention it uses a 2 instead of 3 lug bolt. I like the fact that the Barrett is simple yet was designed to be able to take a major ammo malfunction without causing serious harm to the shooter or anyone else that may be close by.

I've heard that the armalite is super accurate but it's huge and heavy. Also not a great looking rifle IMO lol. I understand they are tools but I've still gotta like the look of something if I'm spending a few grand on it.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    # of lugs has nothing to with strength if you don't also factor in the design. An AR15 has 8 lugs. Is it stronger than any 50cal w/ 2-3 lugs? No. Design matters. (Note: Im not saying the Serbu is stronger but I don't discount it just because it has different # of lugs.)

Why are you "doubtful" of others accuracy higher than Barrett? I've followed 50cal forms quite a bit and the general consensus is the Barrett comes in near the bottom for accuracy. Its a combat rifle while most everything else is built to be a match-type gun. That also typically contributes to the weight as the others aren't designed to be humped all over a sandbox. Weight helps with recoil too.

Agreed, you have to like the looks of it at the end of the day. If a Barrett is the only one that gives you the jollies then buy all means go for it. It is the one that gets carried by our troops and thats important to some folks.

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    This is taken from a review Guns and Ammo did of a few 50's. Just look at the specs and ignore the other notes a guy from ar15.com added in there.

Barrett M99 - 50" overall - 25 pounds - $3100
    - Durable and well designed and classifies as "high end affordable."
    - 33" barrel but was the shortest of the bunch due to bullpup design.
    - field stripped by pulling three pins.
    - M60 bipod
    - 20 lug bolt design
    - 11.5" scope rail for any size optic
    - 5 pound trigger pull - felt more like 4
    - MOST ACCURATE - Anzio ironworks match 750gr ammo - 1.75" @300 yards = .56MOA
    - Effective muzzlebrake, moderate weight and comfortable buttpad lead to pleasant shooting.
    - NEGATIVES: No adjustment for LOP, comb height or buttplate height, although the rifle fit him perfectly he says AND most expensive.

SERBU BFG50 - 51.5" overall - 22 pounds - $1975
    - Article starts and ends with "Inexpensive, sturdy and accurate every man's 50."
    - 2 lug bolt
    - removal of bolt requires removal of allen head screw
    - Recoil was hardest of all guns tested, due partly to its light 22 pound weight and shitty muzzle brake. (Serbu now offers a shark brake)
    - Light weight is easy to trasport
    - Nice trigger - 4 pounds
    - Lothar match barrel
    - ACCURATE - Anzio Ironworks 750gr amax - 2.20" @300 yards - suspects that sub 1/2 MOA is possible with handloading.
    NEGATIVES: no adjustments, just like M99, but also fit the author well, small rail was too far forward, eye relief on the scope was difficult, cylindrical fore end makes sand bagging the gun difficult.

STATE ARMS REBEL - 59" overall - 37 pounds - $2250
    - SHELL HOLDER TYPE ACTION
    - rings and scope mount included
    - heaviest rifle might lead to light recoil or could be the brake. Weight was 37 pounds - heaviest of the group.
    - MASSIVE bull barrel - JESUS ITS HUGE!
    - Lightest trigger at 3.5 pounds - adjustable for weight
    - ACCURATE - anzio 750gr AMAX - 1" with "flyer" opening up to 2"
    - Only used a $40 simmons scope for the test
    NEGATIVES: Shell holder type action, weight, length, narrow fore end.

ARMALITE AR50 - 59" overall - 34 pounds - $2615
    - adjustable everything
    - 34 pounds
    - 3 lug bolt
    - removable rear stock for transport
    - Most effective muzzlebrake of the group, combined with second heaviest gun made shooting easy.
    - Shitty ass 8 pound trigger
    - 3.5-4" 3 shot groups @300 yards with match loads
    - wide flat forend
    NEGATIVES: SHITTY trigger (possibly the reason for the bad accuracy), least accurate, no bipod, scope rail extra, field stripping involves removing a screw for the bolt to come out

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    "The Model 99 rifle is a single shot bullpup rifle that debuted in 1999. Its primary market was long range competitive target shooters and in 2001 a shooter set a world record at 1,000-yards with the M99 by shooting a 5-shot group which measured 4.09″

From another article online. I think the 99 will do me just fine lol. It will take some time to expect to hit a 4" spread at 1000 yards with my limited experience with 50's lol.

eskudo12791

Jan 8, 2016
    I knew you were referring to WAS and that's who I meant. The owners are husband and wife and both are former LEO. It's sad that they don't know the law.

I have taken my Utah class and some other training from them and I have learned some things. There were some things they said that made me cringe and some things they taught made me seek out better ways of doing things. In that sense it was all worth it, but definitely wouldn't be the first place I would recommend to someone.

Ya Im not sure whats up with them. Had my AR transferred to them and they do Blue Label so thats why I normally go with them. Rather keep going to them but for her to simply email me and say, Barrett Banned blew my mind. You've had my business, Im offering to give you my money to transfer something and you dont want it. Ive emailed 2A but haven't heard anything back.

solarfuel

Oct 24, 2013
    HUH???

Suppressors REDUCE recoil. Just like a muzzle brake.

Unless the stock muzzle brake is a lot more effective.

And if a suppressed .50 is like an unsuppressed .308 in sound level, there is no safe hearing protection for an unsuppressed .50.

Suppressors reduce recoil yes, but they come nowhere close to the massive muzzle break on the m99.

Unsuppressed 50bmg is over 170 db. Most silencers are 20-30db reduction. I own the AAC Cyclops which is rated for 32db. I never shoot the 50 with the cyclops because it flat out kicks.

I can shoot the m99 all day with the break.

Have you ever shot a 50BMG with a suppressor?

Compare the dust signature, you can see the difference immediately.

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    Check out Serbu's new break action .50. Preorder for 875.00 till Feb 19.

serbu.com/rn-50.html

rn-50.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom