I have been given Carte Blanche! Your suggestions please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You know I really thought about getting that, I honestly did. I shot a MOD1 of these a while back and I swear it is the flattest shooting mid length gas rifle I have ever ran. My only knock against it is that they have quite a few proprietary parts on them including the bcg. I understand it is proven to last 20k plus rounds. That being said, the whole point of me having a DI is that the parts are cheap and easy to find. In a shit hits the fan scenario I could always snag a bcg from so $500 rifle laying around, put it in and be good to go. My bcg goes out on that thing, I had better hope KAC hasn't gone out of business. Plus don't you need some $130 dollar tool to remove the rail and the gun doesn't come with it?

Yeah but that proprietary bolt is what gets you the barrel profile. Just buy a spare up front; you likely won't need it, but have it if that day comes. Shitty that just the assembled bolt head costs 4x what a Toolcraft assembled bolt head costs, but it is what it is. I have a space bcg or two and two assembled BCM bolts plus rebuild kits between my rifles - one should always have spares anyway.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    A lot of good advice, especially these above.

Question, will this be your 'one rifle' for SHTF and everything else, or is this more of a backup, SHTF rifle that you want to have a little bling on?

Does it have to be 5.56, or would you consider another caliber?

Also, consider a 300BLK pistol, DD makes a great one, and it's very reasonably priced, you could upgrade a few parts and keep the stock parts as spares. Have your cake and eat it too.

You ask some good questions. This would be more like my one rifle for SHTF and everything else. Eh 556 is cheaper to shoot. Rifles that offer an easy swap to 300 BLK are something I'd be interested in.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Yeah but that proprietary bolt is what gets you the barrel profile. Just buy a spare up front; you likely won't need it, but have it if that day comes. Shitty that just the assembled bolt head costs 4x what a Toolcraft assembled bolt head costs, but it is what it is. I have a space bcg or two and two assembled BCM bolts plus rebuild kits between my rifles - one should always have spares anyway.

True, true. It isn't eliminated from my list. Definitely the flattest shooter I have had the pleasure to shoot and I hear nothing but good things about them. Plus Mr. Stoner spent his final days with KAC.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Colt hbar and an aimpoint T2..

Here is the answer.

You ask some good questions. This would be more like my one rifle for SHTF and everything else. Eh 556 is cheaper to shoot. Rifles that offer an easy swap to 300 BLK are something I'd be interested in.

Thanks, got it now. See answer above.

Optic could be something else, but that's a top tier recommendation.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Here is the answer.

Thanks, got it now. See answer above.

Optic could be something else, but that's a top tier recommendation.

Eh I got a t1 already. No point in really getting a t2 at this point. It doesn't offer me anything special that I don't have with the t1. Especially not for $800. Aimpoint is quality but they really are smoking crack when it comes to their prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom