• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Anyone have clever ideas for efficiently packing AR Rifles and Pistols in a safe?
    I have rifle rods and they are great for stacking rifles 2 deep in the safe but AR's are too short for my safe. Plus an AR pistol takes up so little of the vertical that I'm wondering if someone has a bright idea on storage.
    If I could fit a Pistol or a short AR on top of each other vertically, it would save me some space. Maybe hanging in a protective cover or something?
    No, I don't want more safes.
    No, I don't want to thin the heard.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I've disassembled a few of the ARs I don't shoot that often and store them on the horizontal shelves rather than vertically. It doesn't take that long to put them back together if I want to take them out and they seem to take up less space that way.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Anyone have clever ideas for efficiently packing AR Rifles and Pistols in a safe?
    I have rifle rods and they are great for stacking rifles 2 deep in the safe but AR's are too short for my safe. Plus an AR pistol takes up so little of the vertical that I'm wondering if someone has a bright idea on storage.
    If I could fit a Pistol or a short AR on top of each other vertically, it would save me some space. Maybe hanging in a protective cover or something?
    No, I don't want more safes.
    No, I don't want to thin the heard.

If you ask nicely, you could store a bunch at my house. As for a storage fee, can I shoot them from time to time to make sure they are still working? :D

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I built a small shelf in the bottom of safe that my AR'S sit on while using rifle rods. Then the long guns are beside the shelf. I then store some ammo under the shelf.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I stash my AR pistol in the corner dead space. It's not taking any space away from a rifle.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I have a few that come up short by a few inches.

I close the bolt and stick a dowel rod in the barrel. Gives it the extra inch and won't damage the crown.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm having a similar problem with my ARs. The 20" version just makes it to the rack, the 18" I have to pull the stock out to the end. The 14" is a no go even with full stock extension. I lean that one into a corner.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you have the adjustable shelves for one side of your safe put one of the shelves in low on one side at a height that your rifle rods work with your SBR's or pistols. And you can use the space underneath for storing magazines or other things.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    I have rifle rods and they are great for stacking rifles 2 deep in the safe but AR's are too short for my safe.
    i use rifle rods; i have my shorter rifles on a couple of wooden blocks to help them "reach" high enough.

only one that's still left out is the AUG, but i have shelf space for it, so i'm being lazy and not solving THAT issue yet.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    I glued a couple of magnets to the back of an extra molded barrel rest from a stack on cabinet. I can place it anywhere along the back or side. It holds and a scoped AR as well as a SUB2000 and a couple other "items."

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you have the adjustable shelves for one side of your safe put one of the shelves in low on one side at a height that your rifle rods work with your SBR's or pistols. And you can use the space underneath for storing magazines or other things.
    That's what I do... they all sit on the bottom of the safe, but one side has a lowered shelf to allow the shortys to work with rifle rods and the other is set higher to accomodate normal long guns with storage over both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom