• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    I am looking for a few night sights for my AR s. I see a few different one but not sure which one to buy. Anyone can recommend one for me. Thanks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Generally speaking, you only really need a tritium-illuminated front post. Meprolight and Trijicon can provide those. Meprolight is cheaper, but uses a five-prong tool (ala the A1 sight). Trijicon uses four prong (ala the A2). Either works fine.

The TruGlo TFO is an appealing option, but it has durability issues. I'd avoid it for that reason.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    Generally speaking, you only really need a tritium-illuminated front post. Meprolight and Trijicon can provide those. Meprolight is cheaper, but uses a five-prong tool (ala the A1 sight). Trijicon uses four prong (ala the A2). Either works fine.

The TruGlo TFO is an appealing option, but it has durability issues. I'd avoid it for that reason.

I agree about not needing the rear night sights. I bought one a few years ago and I can hardly see the dots unless it is pitch black in the room. Your eye will be so close to the rear sight that the dots will blur out.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Meprolight is what to get for the front post. It's thinner than a stock post and easy to see. I like Troy tritium for the rear. It's just visible enough to know where to look in low light.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I agree about not needing the rear night sights. I bought one a few years ago and I can hardly see the dots unless it is pitch black in the room. Your eye will be so close to the rear sight that the dots will blur out.

The rear tritium dots are supposed to blur our when you look through the rear sight so you can easily pick up the front dot. The point of the rear dots is to give you a reference point for where to look (between them) when there's otherwise not enough light to make out where the peep hole is. Try it in the dark or near-dark and their usefulness is obvious.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I have never considered night sights for my ARs. If you only have illuminated front post how do you know if you have the rear lined up in complete darkness, or in my case dusk since my eyes are so bad?

I just have Aimpoints and Trijicon Acogs on all my SBR'S for close urban shots and real scopes or the longer range carbines and rifles.

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I have never considered night sights for my ARs. If you only have illuminated front post how do you know if you have the rear lined up in complete darkness, or in my case dusk since my eyes are so bad?

I just have Aimpoints and Trijicon Acogs on all my SBR'S for close urban shots and real scopes or the longer range carbines and rifles.

The Aimpoints and Acogs are hard to beat compared to iron sights on the ARs especially for use at night. If you maintain the same cheek weld when shouldering the gun then your eye should be lined up fairly close to the rear sight. It would be similar to shooting a bow without a rear sight woven into the string. As long as you can see the front sight and have a good cheek weld you will be close to the target at short ranges.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Blkhawk870 nailed it. In the dark or very low light, you are not going to be taking a long shot, it's going to be up close. The tritium glow will let you know that you are pointing in the right direction. I like the white stripe with tritium on the Xpress Sights post since it makes it easier to pick up the front sight in low light situations like dusk or as a contrast to a dark ground.(think burglar in your living room with a dark blue shirt).

For me, I have them on my BUIS, so the tritium front post is just a back-up to my back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom