• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Spikes vs Colt

Apone wrote that post 4 years ago and hasn't been active here in 9 months.

Spikes is good, but for what they are asking now a days you can almost get a Colt. Palmetto State Armory is the golden child of good builds on the cheap. They have great sales from time to time and should have a great Black Friday sale (no one knows what it will be yet, but it will either include a complete upper minus BCG and rear sight, or a full lower build kit).

I have read that a company called CERRO FORGE makes the uppers ( and probably lowers too ) for BOTH Colt and Spikes. Have seen that is a few different places. These top brands, they all get their receivers from like 5-6 different companies. They are just made to order.

After the great AR parts hunt a few years ago, a bunch of other companies started to get into the game. Some are very good, like AERO PRECISION, probably one of the best out there you can buy. Plus you can buy theirs already Cerekoted a few diff colors. That is nice and convenient. Plus a LOT LESS expensive. Only like $25 to $30 extra per part.

But I bet I saw about 30 different names of companies start up a few yrs ago. Crazy now...just 2 years ago, you could sell your lower for $250 to $350!!!! Hahahahah now, you can get them for like $49.99 :D Same with BCG's, I have seen them for as low as $69.99 lately, although, I am leary of buying names I don't know. I use RRA crome BCG I got on sale when I got my rifle, it was free, and a few Spikes, I had a S & W I sold for $250 during that drastic period....kinda felt bad....but...not too bad :D:D

Right now, you can buy a complete lower from PSA for like $154, and the complete upper for less than $300. Complete AR for less than $500!!

I believe a good BCG is more important then a big name receiver, as long as they ARE mil-Spec, or well.....close to it. Because actually, only 1 ONE company can actually be TRUE MilSpec, and that is the one that holds the government contract for building the rifles. Used to be Colt, now it is FN, although, I think Colt is making some for FN now. Threw Colt some biz to help them out a few months ago.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    JSE had a limited # of COLT lowers a few months ago, selling them for $150 each....wish I could have bought one. No matter what, if your rifle is a Colt, it makes a difference on reselling it still. :-)

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you so much for the wealth of info. I plan to build my own AR15. Is it legal to buy the completed upper (including the barrel assembly) online and shipped to home in MD ? Such as the this one by Midway USA ? Will this be against the MD law ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...ato-1-in-9-twist-20-government-contour-barrel

Other question: Is the upper and lower receiver the same for both 5.56 and .223. The only difference is that to shoot both 5.56 and .223 you need a barrel that mark 5.56 ?

I just completed the lower (after completing the state required paperwork). So this package as shown in Midway USA will be perfect to complete the built.

Thanks again for all your sharing, very informative and helpful.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you so much for the wealth of info. I plan to build my own AR15. Is it legal to buy the completed upper (including the barrel assembly) online and shipped to home in MD ?

The general answer to that question is "yes," but what you need to pay attention to is what you do with the upper after you have it. If you have a pre-2013 lower (i.e. you owned it prior to the FSA2013 taking effect on October 1st of 2013) you can buy any upper of at least 16" barrel length and have it sent to your home and install it.

If your lower was purchased after October 1 of 2013 though, you can legally install ONLY a heavy barrel upper (if it's a rifle) on it. Making a non-HBAR rifle on a post-2013 lower is illegal in MD as that makes a banned "assault weapon."

Such as the this one by Midway USA ? Will this be against the MD law ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/61...ato-1-in-9-twist-20-government-contour-barrel

That particular upper is a "government profile" barrel, which is NOT a heavy barrel. If you have a pre-2013 lower, it's fine. If you have a post-2013 lower, putting that upper on it would make an illegal banned assault weapon.

Other question: Is the upper and lower receiver the same for both 5.56 and .223. The only difference is that to shoot both 5.56 and .223 you need a barrel that mark 5.56 ?

The only difference (as far as the rifle goes) for .223 and 5.56 is how the chamber is cut. The chamber for a .223 is slightly different than a 5.56 chamber. You can fire .223 out of a rifle chambered for 5.56, but you should NOT fire 5.56 from a .223 chamber. All of the other parts of the rifle will be the same.

I just completed the lower (after completing the state required paperwork). So this package as shown in Midway USA will be perfect to complete the built.

If you just bought the lower (and didn't own it prior to October 1, 2013, putting that upper on it would be illegal. You must find an upper that's marketed or marked as a "heavy barrel" upper.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Thank you so much for the wealth of info. I plan to build my own AR15. Is it legal to buy the completed upper (including the barrel assembly) online and shipped to home in MD ? Such as the this one by Midway USA ? Will this be against the MD law ?

The one you linked would not be legal, but this one would because it is advertised as being heavy barrel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...-1-in-9-twist-mid-length-heavy-contour-barrel

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you 94hokie and Hawkeye, that is super helpful info in pointing out the midway 20" is not HB and illegal. I already own a HB 16" from Windham Weaponry. I like the classic look of the 20". Do you or any readers know any 20" HB barrel assembly like the one 94hokie's web link, I appreciate if you can let me know.

Ok Hawkeye, when you say " chamber" is this part of the barrel or the upper receiver. I was told by the gun shop folks that both 5.56 and .223 upper and lower are exactly the same. SO I believe you meant the barrel - that the chamber is part of the barrel, the little space at the end of barrel screwed into the upper receiver and where the cartridge sit when loaded.

Thanks again for the info.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Ok Hawkeye, when you say " chamber" is this part of the barrel or the upper receiver.

Essentially, it's part of the barrel. It's the "beginning" part of the barrel that holds the cartridge when it's chambered and doesn't have rifling in it.

This cutaway shows the chamber:
    Screen-shot-2014-09-04-at-11.25.42-AM.png

I was told by the gun shop folks that both 5.56 and .223 upper and lower are exactly the same.

If you are talking about the stripped upper and stripped lower receivers (i.e. the single pieces of aluminum to which all the other stuff attaches), that is correct. If you're talking about a complete upper receiver assembly (with the upper receiver, barrel, gas tube, barrel nut, handguard, etc all pre-assembled) it's not necessarily correct because the chamber in the barrel will have been cut for either .223 or 5.56 (or .223 Wylde, or whatever).

SO I believe you meant the barrel - that the chamber is part of the barrel, the little space at the end of barrel screwed into the upper receiver and where the cartridge sit when loaded.

More or less. My point in the original post above was that other than the barrel itself (because of the chamber), every other part of the rifle will be exactly the same between a .223 and a 5.56.

No problem at all. I went through a ton of learning before I assembled my first AR - we all did at one time or another. I'm far from an expert, but willing to help where I can.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Thank you 94hokie and Hawkeye, that is super helpful info in pointing out the midway 20" is not HB and illegal. I already own a HB 16" from Windham Weaponry. I like the classic look of the 20". Do you or any readers know any 20" HB barrel assembly like the one 94hokie's web link, I appreciate if you can let me know.

Ok Hawkeye, when you say " chamber" is this part of the barrel or the upper receiver. I was told by the gun shop folks that both 5.56 and .223 upper and lower are exactly the same. SO I believe you meant the barrel - that the chamber is part of the barrel, the little space at the end of barrel screwed into the upper receiver and where the cartridge sit when loaded.

Here is one direct from Del-Ton

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu102.htm

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Hawkeye, nice photo to show the chamber. Thanks 94hokie for he Del-ton link, that is exactly what I need to buy the HB 20". This is a great forum for learner.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013

I think I saved enough to look into getting the 20" HB upper as 94hokie suggested. Allow me to drill down further as the del-ton order page allow you to customize the full upper. Please let me know my configuration is correct. I also include what I found online. Please weigh in.

1. Barrel - DTI 20" 1 x 9 chrome lined HB (add $35)

My research - seems chrome line barrel improve reliability and easier extraction (https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277838) but very slightly decrease accuracy.

2. Bolt & carrier - standard

3. Hand guard - standard black

4. Gas block - F Mark Front Sight base

My research - that F FSB goes with flat top
    (https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=329435)

5. Flash hider - A2 flash hider
    Question - it also offer A1 flash hider, I assume A2 is the right one, not sure the difference ?

6. Uppers - I will choose "Flat top upper with M4 Feed ramp"

My research - https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=529121

7. Charging Handle - standard

8. Carry Handle - none, as I can use the one I took off from the bushmaster (I use optic on that AR)

Does this sounds a good configuration ? I already have a completed lower with fix stock. So ultimately, after I put them together. I would like it to look just like the windham weaponry 20" classic as shown in :

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/NewTechSeets/R20GVTA4S-7 3-25-14 MSRP.pdf

Do you think I made all the right choice ? One last question - from what I gather in this thread is that it is legal in MD to order this Del ton online and ship to my home. Is this right ? just want to make sure it is lawful. I think I am ready to order (once the chrome is in stock).

Thanks all again. You all are great teachers.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    One last question - from what I gather in this thread is that it is legal in MD to order this Del ton online and ship to my home. Is this right ? just want to make sure it is lawful.

Yes. You're fine.

The ONLY part that you can not order and have shipped directly to you is the lower receiver itself. That is the serialized part that is legally "the firearm" and it has to go through an FFL.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Yes. You're fine.

The ONLY part that you can not order and have shipped directly to you is the lower receiver itself. That is the serialized part that is legally "the firearm" and it has to go through an FFL.

Wonderful. I think I am all set once del ton stock up the chromed barrel. I am sure I will think of other question later on. Thanks

Gilligan

Jan 24, 2016
    I have read that a company called CERRO FORGE makes the uppers ( and probably lowers too ) for BOTH Colt and Spikes..

Having messed with a lot of different 80% lowers, I have to say that the Cerro product is one of my favorites. The dimensional (and other) deviations from the original Colt design that is evident on some lowers increases the difficulty in completing them accurately.

The Cerro forgings are easily distinguished by the little "keyhole" symbol they place on them....maybe they can be made out in this pic of one I have in work now (for a 500 Beowulf build)..the one on the upper is just aft of the deflector and the one on the lower is in the corner of the block behind the trigger.

Attachments

• Cerro AR forgings.jpg
      Cerro AR forgings.jpg
      37.7 KB · Views: 624

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    I have a blem spikes lower that the finish was pretty rough, just building out, does anyone know of anything to cover scratches and errors in the finish?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I've read that its cheaper to build an AR than buy one. I've only started to acquire a few parts (CMMG lpk, aero precision upper with dust cover and F/A already installed, and 80% lower). From what I've been seeing, I think it would've been cheaper to buy a complete upper. I've read so much and have been twisted and turned in so many directions that I don't know what to buy, where, or if I should sell the upper and just get a complete upper. I set out on a quest to build(more like assemble) a reliable, inexpensive 5.56 AR rifle with 16" MD compliant barrel to use as a plinker and possible HD(not a primary, but stored elsewhere in the house). Was hoping to build on under $500...but I'm already at approx. $165. ). Any and all advice is surely needed and welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom