So what's the best pistol mounted light these days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hi all:

I have a SIG P229 E2 with a rail on it that I want to transition into being my HD pistol. It's got night sights and such, but for HD I believe in the value of a weapon mounted light.

Right now I have an HK USP .45 Tactical that I use for that purpose, but it's my only .45 and I shoot the SIG better anyhow, so I'm transitioning over. The HK UTL I have on the USP has a switch I can tap with my support hand fingers for either instant on or constant on, and I'd like the same again - no grip pads or whatever.

I'd like to put a light on the SIG, but it's been a while since I looked at weapon mounted lights. What's the best one of those these days for my purpose?

Inforce? Something else?

Thanks!

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Just from experience, make sure you choose a brand that will back their product (warranty)...that's why I've always stuck with Streamlight.

Has anyone dealt with Inforce as far as warranty issues? Just curious...

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I know I'll get flamed for this but...

I've never believed in "gun lights" for pistols.

Let's say...
    You're going through the house and trying to find the BG...
    The BG is hiding and waiting in the dark...
    He knows where you are because he watches the beam from your gun light...
    As you enter the room where he is hiding... He shoots at your gun light...

[STOP AND THINK]

What is directly behind your gun light?

Your head
    Your hands
    Your torso
    Your gun
    Your life

What gets hit by his bullet that was fired at your gun light?

(see above list)

I was trained with a two handed search mode...
    Hand gun in strong hand...
    Flash light in weak hand with thumb on switch... Only turned on for brief periods and held out a bit forward, to the side and away from my face and body.

Bullets, like moths, are usually coming for the light... Don't be standing behind the light.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    For my Mk25 Sig I use a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. THE surefire was just way too big for me. Nothing but good things to say about this light...and the pistol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Used a few, but for my budget and ease of finding holsters I like the TLR 1S.

I've found Streamlight's offer a few advantages to a lefty.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Let's say...
    The BG is hiding and waiting in the dark...
    He knows where you are because he watches the beam from your gun light...
    As you enter the room where he is hiding... He shoots at your gun light...

[STOP AND THINK]

What is directly behind your gun light?

Your head
    Your hands
    Your torso
    Your gun
    Your life

What gets hit by his bullet that was fired at your gun light?

(see above list)

I was trained with a two handed search mode...
    Hand gun in strong hand...
    Flash light in weak hand with thumb on switch... Only turned on for brief periods and held out a bit forward, to the side and away from my face and body.

Bullets, like moths, are usually coming for the light... Don't be standing behind the light.

So you prefer shooting 1 handed then. Only in places where there are no doors to open or things to hold on to.

Attachments

• fbi1.jpg
      fbi1.jpg
      7.8 KB · Views: 634

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Streamtlight
    Surefire
    Inforce
    Insight also a choice

all dependable. preference depends on the switch setup, brightness required, and your budget

Last edited:

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Hi all:

I have a SIG P229 E2 with a rail on it that I want to transition into being my HD pistol. It's got night sights and such, but for HD I believe in the value of a weapon mounted light.

Right now I have an HK USP .45 Tactical that I use for that purpose, but it's my only .45 and I shoot the SIG better anyhow, so I'm transitioning over. The HK UTL I have on the USP has a switch I can tap with my support hand fingers for either instant on or constant on, and I'd like the same again - no grip pads or whatever.

I'd like to put a light on the SIG, but it's been a while since I looked at weapon mounted lights. What's the best one of those these days for my purpose?

Inforce? Something else?

Thanks!

Something that says surefire on the side of it.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I quite like the TLR-1. I also like the old glock incandescent lights especially for bedside home defense where you don't need massive lumen output.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

:thumbsup:

Which light? Whatever feels comfortable and provides sufficient light. I have a small Fenix E15 affixed to my key-ring. It goes everywhere I do and gets used often. That's what I use.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    FWIW, I've settled on Surefire x300's for all my pistols and rifles. Pricey, but durable and they just work for me. Small enough to fit on the top rail of a carbine and be out of the way of sights, and perfect for the rail under an M&P. And I can just throw one in my pocket or outside pocket on a backpack and always have it handy.

Oh...and bright as F****

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    TLR or Surefire Ultra.

Honestly I'm not sure what type of training you have or what ability you have. But the idea of you "clearing" a house is kind of silly. Unless your family members are on separate floors and you need to get through the house to get to them your plan will likely be better served staying in your room aimed at the door. At that point does a light matter? Is there an actual light by your bed to turn on?

I like a weapon mounted light for those who know what they are doing. For Harry Home Owner trying to protect himself it doesn't have much of a roll. In your house just turn on the lights. I don't care about giving up slight tactical advantage in most home self defense situations I can dream up.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

Yeah, it's a neveending debate, and for some people a nearly religious issue (like many things with shooting... :) ). In my case, I've made the decision that I want my HD gun to have a light on it. I know the arguments and techniques both ways, and I've made my personal call on it.

Let's say...

Not going to be doing that. This gun lives in my bedroom, and if it comes out I stay at the top of the stairs with it while the police get called. I'm not Operator enough to go try to clear my house if I think there's someone downstairs. My wife and son are upstairs, and that's where I'm staying.

As to the gun in one hand light in the other hand deal, I've shot that way, and I do significantly better when I hold the gun with two hands. Plus I don't want to fumble for a light and a gun in the dark or whatever.

Like I said, I've made my call.

For my Mk25 Sig I use a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. THE surefire was just way too big for me. Nothing but good things to say about this light...and the pistol!

The Streamlight was another one I was looking at. Does anyone have a guide to deciphering the 8 jillion different models they offer?

At least with Inforce that part is simple - there is one pistol light. :P

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I have a TLR-1 HL on my CZ HD handgun. Even though it's still mounted on my handgun, I'm still not sure if I like it there. I think it has three settings, high , low and strobe. It's on the low setting. Going from complete darkness to the high setting would be way too bright and take a second to get ones bearings back. Panic and use the strobe unintentionally and you and any other person in the room would be F'd. I might end up putting it on my SBR where it doesn't have the primary HD role. Hope I decide before I need it!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Yeah, it's a neveending debate, and for some people a nearly religious issue (like many things with shooting... :) ). In my case, I've made the decision that I want my HD gun to have a light on it. I know the arguments and techniques both ways, and I've made my personal call on it.

Not going to be doing that. This gun lives in my bedroom, and if it comes out I stay at the top of the stairs with it while the police get called. I'm not Operator enough to go try to clear my house if I think there's someone downstairs. My wife and son are upstairs, and that's where I'm staying.

As to the gun in one hand light in the other hand deal, I've shot that way, and I do significantly better when I hold the gun with two hands. Plus I don't want to fumble for a light and a gun in the dark or whatever.

Like I said, I've made my call.

The Streamlight was another one I was looking at. Does anyone have a guide to deciphering the 8 jillion different models they offer?

At least with Inforce that part is simple - there is one pistol light. :P

I dont know their models, i just grabbed the one that was in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom