• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Anyone have any recommendations on safe dealers in the MD-DC metro area? I am really not looking to drive all around the state, though (ie, no Baltimore or Waldorf recommendations, please). Some parts of NoVa might be OK, I guess.

Having a decent stock of used safes would be a plus, too. And cheaper is better. (Of course!)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A1Uniform deals in safes and I got mine at Lowes......they still do 10% Military even on sales so bring a friend.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thompson Safes.

They sell some very nice safes with solid plate doors. There is a big thread about safes somewhere on MDS. And links to several videos. The one take away I got was that a solid plate door is MUCH harder to breech than one of the "composite" (ie folded sheet metal) doors.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thompson looks nice, but they also look expensive. I am trying to avoid going much over $2k here, albeit that may not be realistic.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thompson looks nice, but they also look expensive. I am trying to avoid going much over $2k here, albeit that may not be realistic.

Has Bass Pros fall hunting classic already happened? They get great deals on safes then too.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

I bought a nice Encore E-31 (37" x 60.5" x 25.5") from Mike Thompson for $1,500 last year as part of a 2 safe deal with a friend. It has an 1/4" plate steel door, 12 gauge body and 1,350F x 60min. rating. It has 28 long gun slots and I have it just about maxed out with 24 long guns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I bought a nice Encore E-31 (37" x 60.5" x 25.5") from Mike Thompson for $1,500 last year as part of a 2 safe deal with a friend. It has an 1/4" plate steel door, 12 gauge body and 1,350F x 60min. rating. It has 28 long gun slots and I have it just about maxed out with 24 long guns.
    I was hoping for something with at least 10-11 gauge, but you're giving me hope that maybe they'd be in the window, especially if it was a used model of some sort. I am a bit skeptical of going all-in on some of the higher-end TL-15+ stuff, if only because it seems like that even those safes are screwed if someone who knows what they're doing comes after it... I'd be better off investing in an alarm with the extra money.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Chantilly gun show this fri-sun, steve's safes sells ft knox, I bought one from him some 15 years ago, good pricing and great service (delivery inside house).

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You defiantly get what you pay for when it comes to safes.
    With that being said I cheaped out and bought a cannon safe from tractor supply last Black Friday. I did not need a bomb proof safe I just needed a theft deternt and something to keep kids out of. I payed ~$700 for their 48 gun model and I have been very happy with it.
    If you are looking for a theift proof bomb proof set up I would go to a shop that specializes in safes. If you are like me and just need a basic safe start looking at Black Friday sales.

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Like parttimer, I don't need an A-bomb proof safe....so looking at some of the places like BassPro or Tractor Supply works for me. But where does one then go for inside delivery?

-tnx,
    Jeff

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    When I bought a safe from Dick's (a few years ago back when they actually had stuff with semi-decent gauge steel), they had a service that would deliver and install it for a few hundred bucks. I just feel like I have enough of a collection that it makes sense to store some of the nicer stuff in a somewhat better safe. *shrugs*

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    But where does one then go for inside delivery?

Therein lies the rub. The safe companies will deliver it, Tractor Supply and Sams, not so much.

I think I bought my safe from Thompson 30 years ago. He delivered it and got it down the the basement, by himself! When I moved, the movers got it up the stairs but they wouldn't take it down the basement of my new house.

There is a thread with pics of an electric stair climber moving a safe.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Therein lies the rub. The safe companies will deliver it, Tractor Supply and Sams, not so much.

I think I bought my safe from Thompson 30 years ago. He delivered it and got it down the the basement, by himself! When I moved, the movers got it up the stairs but they wouldn't take it down the basement of my new house.

There is a thread with pics of an electric stair climber moving a safe.

Yeah, they used a stair climber for my delivery. The guy had a tow behind trailer that would sink the back to the ground (not really a lift gate) for easy removal. They also had some cool accessories for moving it inside, Slip Sticks I think they were called. It was basically a wood slat faced with a thick layer of Teflon...made it a breeze to move it over the flat floor.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I had a good experience buying a safe from Mike Thompson in Frederick. Delivered in the house precisely where I plan to keep it. Reasonable price for a quality safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom