• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    http://www.guns.com/review/2014/05/...437&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

I saw this review for a SIG 226 22LR that has a conversion kit to a centerfire. My limited experience with 22LR pistols has not left me impressed. They always seem to feel "cheap".
    That being said, I can understand converting a centerfire to a rimfire. But, the other way? I can't imagine that would meet the same quality as a centerfire 226.
    Anyone have experience with a firearm going rimfire to centerfire?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Sig P226 in 22lr uses the same frame as the centerfire versions. Buying this and then a caliber conversion is cheaper than buying a centerfire then getting a 22lr conversion.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    The Sig P226 in 22lr uses the same frame as the centerfire versions. Buying this and then a caliber conversion is cheaper than buying a centerfire then getting a 22lr conversion.

There has to be a catch though, right? Why would SIG do an end around the price of a 226?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    http://www.guns.com/review/2014/05/...437&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

I saw this review for a SIG 226 22LR that has a conversion kit to a centerfire. My limited experience with 22LR pistols has not left me impressed. They always seem to feel "cheap".
    That being said, I can understand converting a centerfire to a rimfire. But, the other way? I can't imagine that would meet the same quality as a centerfire 226.
    Anyone have experience with a firearm going rimfire to centerfire?
    They always feel "cheap" because all the parts above the frame have to be lightweight to enable the little .22LR cartridge to cycle the action. I slightly modified a GSG 1911 .22 conversion kit so it would function 100% on my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander 9mm Guardian. And yes the mostly aluminum upper does feel cheap but from 5 feet away it looks just as well made as the Dan Wesson itself (meaning a heck of a lot better than a Colt 1911).

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    They always feel "cheap" because all the parts above the frame have to be lightweight to enable the little .22LR cartridge to cycle the action. I slightly modified a GSG 1911 .22 conversion kit so it would function 100% on my Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander 9mm Guardian. And yes the mostly aluminum upper does feel cheap but from 5 feet away it looks just as well made as the Dan Wesson itself (meaning a heck of a lot better than a Colt 1911).

Thats why I think a centerfire would tear it up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The slide is replaced with the conversion. THAT is the light wieght part.

The frames are the same.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Thats why I think a centerfire would tear it up.

The frame is exactly the same.

The slides and springs are different and dedicated to that caliber.

I have a 226 9mm, and a 22 conversion slide. The slide the 9mm off, put the 22lr slide on (with a lighter spring), and insert a 22 magazine.

No way to tear it up. capiche?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have p229 in 22lr.. Bought the conversion (caliber exchange) kit for centerfire. It works great shooting centerfire but finicky on 22lr. Lol

As mentioned the frame and internals are the same with regular classic sig pistols. The slide and barrel for the 22lr are made out of cheaper metal (slide is aluminum).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The slides have to be aluminum because it's lighter than steel, and thus allows 22lr to cycle it. If it's cheaper, that's at best a side benefit.

I have an all-steel BHP conversion, and it works around this by only cycling part of the slide (which is multi-part)... kind of an ugly workaround.

pjleduc

Feb 23, 2011
    Owings Mills
    I bought a P229 Classic .22. Then I bought the .40 and the 9mm conversion kits for it. The other added benefit of doing it this way is that you get night sights on the Centerfire conversion kits. They all work really well, and its the same price as maybe 1.5 pistols but you have essentially three guns in one.

dekibgd

Oct 7, 2015
    can you be specific what kind of modifications you had to do?
    I am asking b/c I bought GSG conversion kit for my 9mm 1911 , and I had to file down ejector a little bit and make it little bit thinner( also using the file) so the conversion kit would slide over it. somebody said that is b/c 45acp ejector is actually smaller than the 9mm one and usually 22lr conversion kit fits perfectly, but 9mm ejector is in the way of 22lr slide and needs to be modified just like I did. does this make any sense to you ?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

Let me rephrase this slightly. I have not found the perfect ammo for this conversion as yet. Tried Fed AE today and had a few issues, mostly cycling and feeding. Going to try a few other brands over the next week among CCI, Fed, Aguila, Amscor, Winchester, and Norma to see what it may like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom