• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    First attempt at making at kydex OWB holster turned out ok. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 359
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      65.7 KB · Views: 344
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 351
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      70 KB · Views: 352
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 352
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 347
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 354
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 351
    • 20130510_164719.jpg
      20130510_164719.jpg
      123.7 KB · Views: 347

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    how do you mold it? do you have to heat it?

It's 0.80 Kydex that I heated up in the oven slowly starting out at 220, then in increments upto 340-350 which is optimum temp for working with kydex. I then used some foam padding, boards, and clamps in book press style to mold it onto the gun.

Thanks guys.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looks good! Howd u dress the edges? Power buffer, sand paper + acetone...something else? What kind of press setup did you use? Gun case foam, 2 boards and a couple c-clamps or something else? Toaster oven and laser-thermometer for slow controlled heating? What did your jig look like for the bends? 1x2 screwed to edge of work bench with a spacer?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    If you're willing to make it for others, let me know how much you would charge. Great work.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    Looks good! Howd u dress the edges? Power buffer, sand paper + acetone...something else? What kind of press setup did you use? Gun case foam, 2 boards and a couple c-clamps or something else? Toaster oven and laser-thermometer for slow controlled heating? What did your jig look like for the bends? 1x2 screwed to edge of work bench with a spacer?

Sounds like you've tried it before yourself.... The sanding and buffing technique i'm still working on. My edges are ok but I'd like them to be a little more polished. I started off wet sanding then a combo of fine grit sanding and polishing with the buffing wheel. I used a neoprene type foam with two wood boards and c-clamps in book press style. Cooked the kydex in the oven (well see my last post). For the bending I just rigged two of my smaller c-clamps and some 1x2 (not ideal) but I'm going to work on making a jig for that and the holster loops.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have seen quite a few do it yourself at home kydex holsters and this is by far the best looking one ever.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    If you're willing to make it for others, let me know how much you would charge. Great work.

It's a strong possibility. I would like to avoid using each person's real gun by making the mold with a blue gun/training replica but those cost about $40 so guys on here would have to show me some strong interest in custom OWB holsters for me to make those kinds of investments upfront.

Either way, I'm going to keep making them. I'm planning on making a weapon-light capable mold for my G17. I'll post up when it's done.

Thanks again.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sounds like you've tried it before yourself.... The sanding and buffing technique i'm still working on. My edges are ok but I'd like them to be a little more polished. I started off wet sanding then a combo of fine grit sanding and polishing with the buffing wheel. I used a neoprene type foam with two wood boards and c-clamps in book press style. Cooked the kydex in the oven (well see my last post). For the bending I just rigged two of my smaller c-clamps and some 1x2 (not ideal) but I'm going to work on making a jig for that and the holster loops.

Sweet. U have a scrollsaw to work with or just score and bend? A scroll saw would make life much easier for cuts. U ever try bending the belt loops like persec's pancake loops?
    http://www.psholsters.com/
    Capture.JPG

You may have to bump up the thickness of kydex used, but I like their design.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    I have seen quite a few do it yourself at home kydex holsters and this is by far the best looking one ever.

Thanks man, it was a rough start but as it progressed it was really enjoyable. Great thing about kydex is you can always start over if you mess up and it's self-healing abilities with heat are really....well, cool.

I'm really happy that my first try was actually useable. I gave myself alot of room to work with on the molds so when I messed up I could still fix it.

Thanks again.

mdiom

Sep 7, 2012
    Abingdon
    Sweet. U have a scrollsaw to work with or just score and bend? A scroll saw would make life much easier for cuts. U ever try bending the belt loops like persec's pancake loops?
    http://www.psholsters.com/
    View attachment 85047

You may have to bump up the thickness of kydex used, but I like their design.

I do have a scroll saw (for tighter cuts after molding) but for the initial layout I score and bend. I've seen those holster loops and I'll probably give'em a go on one my next designs. This time around I used the .80 kydex same as the holster itself but I had planned on using .93 or .125 for future holster loops. Great suggestions! Thanks.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Did a holster for my m&p the other night. Still have to finish it up and may give it another go. Doing some bladetech style ar mag carriers as we speak.

Pretty fun hobby.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I would like some more info on this too. I like your work, and I may want you to do one or three for me if you start doing that. I saw the kits for $24.95 on knifekits.com, but what else is necessary. I haven't bothered to do a youtube search yet, but will.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's a strong possibility. I would like to avoid using each person's real gun by making the mold with a blue gun/training replica but those cost about $40 so guys on here would have to show me some strong interest in custom OWB holsters for me to make those kinds of investments upfront.

Either way, I'm going to keep making them. I'm planning on making a weapon-light capable mold for my G17. I'll post up when it's done.

Thanks again.

I'd be interested in one for my USP with UTL attached. I would have no issue bringing you the real gun and light to do it, as it's a LE trade in with some wear on it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom