• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I've been for something that:

1) Won't beat the crap out of my shoulder
    2) Isn't a bolt-action (I've been collection nothing but bolt actions so far)

A couple of things:
    * Numbers are all matching except the stock (which I don't think is original)
    This is based on my research and things I've been told:
    * Based on the numbers it looks like a early sino-soviet (1956-era)
    * And yes I know the sling isn't the correct sling

After some searching I found a Type 56 SKS:
    IMG_0753_zpscmwpkcyg.jpg

IMG_0755_zpsrbjfdxuc.jpg

IMG_0759_zpsqbhn5y9v.jpg

IMG_0757_zpsbwae54f5.jpg

IMG_0758_zpszo81plr0.jpg

And the best feature - comso free!
    IMG_0751_zpskfkmz4m2.jpg

DennisCA

Yes the are (most of them any ways) the ones that fall into the 50 year rule

The Yugo SKS's are not due to the grenade attachment on the end of the barrel

Even though I have a C&R lic plus a COE - I still have to send a form and $19.00 to CA DOJ within 30 days of purchase (New rules since Jan 1 2015)

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Yes the are (most of them any ways) the ones that fall into the 50 year rule

The Yugo SKS's are not due to the grenade attachment on the end of the barrel

Even though I have a C&R lic plus a COE - I still have to send a form and $19.00 to CA DOJ within 30 days of purchase (New rules since Jan 1 2015)

If you feel like leaving I volunteer to lay down some suppressive fire while you get your family across the arizona border. You have to help link the belts though. :gun7:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Looks nice. I like how most of the bluing is still intact. As you thought, the stock is a replacement, but the original was probably cracked badly or beat to hell. Enjoy it.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Hi, Dennis - That's a really nice looking rifle. I'm rather certain that it went through Albania, but the finish on that one survived better than most. While it's more typical to see the Sino-Albanians with rather tired-looking bluing, a few came through looking pretty good ... and some were exceptionally nice.

Conventional wisdom is that yours is one of the earlier ones, but there are some folks calling that into question now. I still think that the Jianshe arsenal "letter guns" are very early production, because I managed to get one that did not go through Albania, and that is like new. The stock on that one is Arctic Birch (Russian), and it makes little sense that Russian stocks would have been stored somewhere, then pulled out a few years later ... but it's up for debate.

That's a replacement stock on yours, but it looks really nice. I suspect that an earlier owner may have decided that the metal looked too good to keep it in a typical battered--perhaps cracked--stock, and they swapped it out.

Here are some photos of my early H-series Sino-Albanian. They were taken when I was doing the initial de-greasing. I'm not sure that I ever completely de-greased this one, and it remains in deep storage.

Attachments

• H_8.jpg
      H_8.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 304
    • H_1.jpg
      H_1.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 309
    • H_2.jpg
      H_2.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 314
    • H_3.jpg
      H_3.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 316
    • H_4.jpg
      H_4.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 303
    • H_5.jpg
      H_5.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 311
    • H_6.jpg
      H_6.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 310
    • H_7.jpg
      H_7.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 316

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Machodoc - My SKS has serial numbers like yours, (all-matching except the stock, which has no serial numbers on it) in fact I took the butt plate off and saw this:
    SKS%20Butt%20Stockwithout%20butt%20plate_zpse7fmeghb.jpg

At first glance, that butt stock appears to have come off of an Albanian SKS. Do you have a photo of the butt plate as it was installed? Here's what an Albanian butt plate looks like. http://www.combatstocks.com/products/sks-buttplate

You may want to take a look at this thread from back when these guns were first starting to come into the U.S., and nobody was saying where they were coming from. It was little hints like this (but mostly the trench art) that verified these were coming out of Albania. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=109294.0

DennisCA

At first glance, that butt stock appears to have come off of an Albanian SKS. Do you have a photo of the butt plate as it was installed? Here's what an Albanian butt plate looks like. http://www.combatstocks.com/products/sks-buttplate

You may want to take a look at this thread from back when these guns were first starting to come into the U.S., and nobody was saying where they were coming from. It was little hints like this (but mostly the trench art) that verified these were coming out of Albania. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=109294.0

The butt plate looks like this:
    SKS-050-2T.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom