• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

That box doesn't look bad. UPS must have slammed a truck door on it or got it caught on something. I really hate when sellers just wrap a piece of plastic around a firearm and shove it in a box. An auction house did that to my all matching Chilean Mauser Model 1895, left the bolt in and didn't wrap the muzzle. It was only through a miracle that it arrived unhurt.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Since he said there are very few numbers on it, I would surmise that there are none on the stock, so matching numbers wouldn't be an issue. If that's the case, wouldn't he be better off replacing it?

All parts with serial numbers match, including the stock. The entire gun is original as far as I can tell without taking it apart.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Other than being shipped inside a hard case, the best rifle packaging job I've seen was a guy who shipped three guns to me ... each inside a thick cardboard tube (like is inside a roll of carpet), packed in bubble wrap inside the tube, and that was slid into a cardboard box kind of like the one used to ship your gun.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    This is one of my worst nightmares. What a shame all around. I'm really sorry you have to to deal with that, snallygaster. Did the shipping cost include full insurance?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you end up with he rifle an the cash from INS. Have Chad fix the stock but meanwhile put it into another stock to shoot. keep the original aside.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A stock can get cracked w/ a good hard whack to the box. Even a hard drop can do it. I've had a wrist crack on a gun before when the seller also did a piss poor job packing. Very little apparent external damage to the box.

If he sold that as Russian then I would demand a refund for the simple fact it's chinese. Just my .02.

^This.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Waiting on the sellers response. I expect a full refund ASAP and he can fight with UPS for damage coverage. But honestly, he didn't wrap it well.

If it was insured UPS should pay YOU. Doublecherck this though. I know with USPS they pay the person it was shipped to and they take the item that was shipped.

Had a guy send me a special lathe (for making pool cues) and all he did was shrink wrap it to a sheet of plywood. Of course it came here busted up and missing stuff. It took a little bit but I was made whole. Been a while but I had to make a list of the parts messed up, they were ordered from the guy that makes the lathe, shipped to me and it was paid for by UPS. I think the bottom line was they accepted it to ship and it was damaged in shipping. The pics from the ad should be enough to show it was in good condition when it was shipped.

GL

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    You guys are all wrapped around the fact the stock is broken, the HUGE issue is that its chinese and it was sold as a Russian. Thats the deal breaker, not that the stock is cracked. The OP was scammed by the seller, and it needs to go back based on the fact that the description was incorrect.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It's amazing how poorly some people will pack things, especially heavy and/or delicate things... as if they expect package handlers to carefully lift and move every box individually.

Shipping monkeys CAN AND WILL throw your boxes around like a football. It doesn't matter a damn if it's labelled "fragile" or "delicate" or even "live kittens". Everything should be boxed up for shipping like you expect it to survive a 15' fall onto a concrete floor. Repeatedly.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Don't know if its worth a claim with UPS as they would most certainly deny paying due to the poor packing by the seller. Had it been packed the way I do my shipments then you would have a fighting chance with UPS. But from what I saw you've a better chance getting reimbursed from the seller. Let's hope he's a stand up guy who'll take ownership of a poor listing and packing job.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    We figured beforehand it might be Chinese with a Russian replacement stock. The shipping damage took it from mischaracterized into the realm of careless stupidity. OP got the entire treatment, unfortunately.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    You guys are all wrapped around the fact the stock is broken, the HUGE issue is that its chinese and it was sold as a Russian. Thats the deal breaker, not that the stock is cracked. The OP was scammed by the seller, and it needs to go back based on the fact that the description was incorrect.

No, in fact I wasn't convinced that this was Russian because there were no visible marks in the serial number didn't make sense to me. Hence The title of the post.

I'm not upset that it's not Russian. I bought something that I expected to be authentic/original and that's about the only part that this guy got right.

On another note, the guy got back to me and basically said I have to file a claim with UPS. I called the shop and spoke to him and told him that was ******** and that he needed to file the claim on his end and refund my money immediately. He said that he was going to call UPS and will get back to me in the next day or two. I suppose my only recourse if the guy doesn't make me whole,is to file a fraud claim through GunBroker which will give me $400. :(

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    that was my point though... It was sold under the premise that it was russian so it was misrepresented. That should be valid enough reason to get your money back, damged or not.

Jul 1, 2012
    This however, will be the basis for my fraud claim with GunBroker. They don't cover shipping damage.

Good luck getting any action with GB. They won't reimburse you directly of course, and it's very unlikely they can force the seller to pay. They don't have a whole lot of leverage unlike the world's favorite auction site....

... it's not like eBay where they stomp all over the seller on a whim, suck money out of your account, etc (no that's not bitterness shining thru :rolleyes:).

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Good luck getting any action with GB. They won't reimburse you directly of course, and it's very unlikely they can force the seller to pay. They don't have a whole lot of leverage unlike the world's favorite auction site....

... it's not like eBay where they stomp all over the seller on a whim, suck money out of your account, etc (no that's not bitterness shining thru :rolleyes:).

Agreed. It's a longshot, but they do actually have insurance to cover fraud according to the terms of service. It would be a lot easier if the guy would just make good on the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom