• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Just won a Vz. 50 at auction. It has a proof mark of 1950, and appears in excellent factory condition - not refurbed at all... except... from my reading on these handguns, it appears that this particular one comes with Vz. 70 grips. They're pimpled instead of grooved. My thoughts are to pick up a pair of the unissued, Czech grooved Bakelite Vz. 50 grips (rather than the aftermarket, modern plastic). I have seen some on eBay, any other sources?

My guess is that someone cracked the original Bakelite grips in the 1970's or thereabouts, since they were fairly brittle. It makes sense that the replacements available at the time would have been the Vz. 70 variety.

Any other sources for parts/information on these pistols.

I'll post pictures when I actually receive the pistol.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    Police marked on front of the grip?

According to the auction photos it has the "NB50" stamp, which indicates the national security forces in 1950. The magazine has the correct, downward turning floorplate extension, and appears to be original to the Vz.50.

Odd thing is that it is supposedly in "factory nickel finish". I didn't have a lot of time to research that before bidding so I put down what I considered a reasonable bid and it won. The finish definitely looks nickel vs. chrome from the photos. I have found a mention (http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=60986.msg400306#msg400306) that they did offer at least the Vz. 70 in plated finishes, but I couldn't find a representative photo.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I would be worried about that "factory nickel finish". Never heard of that on a original CZ50. If it was done for import, or by the importer... It will kill the value.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    I would be worried about that "factory nickel finish". Never heard of that on a original CZ50. If it was done for import, or by the importer... It will kill the value.

That's what I was wondering about. The price was decent enough that I'm not too worried about it. That's probably why no other bids were placed. I'll be happy with it either way.

EDIT - So it appears it is not a nickel finish from the factory... oh well. Live and learn.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Oh, and Apex gun parts has some parts, of course Numrich, buymilsurp (although he is sold out on lots of stuff these days).

I bought a bunch of parts for mine off Numrich when I got a couple late last year from SOG. Mine had a worn out sear and would runaway on me.

I also hear it is a good idea to get an extra firing pin, as the originals are brittle.

The two I got both shoot great, even better than my Dad's bringback Nazi PPK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom