• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Is it me or does pic# 8 kinda look like a blurry import mark?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Is it me or does pic# 8 kinda look like a blurry import mark?

Do you mean the lighter area on the barrel between the gas block and the bayonet mount? Zooming in on the pic, that looks more like just worn off finish to me.

Still even without an import mark, I'd take the bring back story as nothing more than a story without paperwork.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Do you mean the lighter area on the barrel between the gas block and the bayonet mount? Zooming in on the pic, that looks more like just worn off finish to me.

Still even without an import mark, I'd take the bring back story as nothing more than a story without paperwork.

Yup. The seller definitely did a good job of not showing serial #'s and markings. I hope the OP comes out on top with this deal.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Looks like a fist year chinese with the 6 digit SN and no cyrillic letters and a russian stock to me. IDK... Maybe it is the real deal Russian, but the pics dont confirm the story at all.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Looks like a fist year chinese with the 6 digit SN and no cyrillic letters and a russian stock to me. IDK... Maybe it is the real deal Russian, but the pics dont confirm the story at all.

^^^ This. It will be interesting to see what you get v. what all the hype claims. I'd be asking him the name of the veteran that he got it from, etc.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Could indeed be a Vietnam bringback that somebody replaced the stock on because it was beat to hell, badly cracked, or whatever. Unfortunate if replaced. Lots of possibilities. Speculation could probably go on forever even after he receives it.

Feb 28, 2013
    I really don't like how the numbers are strategically hidden in the photo. Otherwise looks like a well used Russian SKS. It would be nice if it had bring back papers, otherwise it's just a story.

I noticed that too. Can't even see an arsenal stamp.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Good thing is the Seller is not some fly by night, so it could all be true.

Yeah, there's that ... but the flip side is that someone with that many transactions has to know which parts of an SKS should be shown to give the buyer a clear idea what he's bidding on ... and those aren't shown.

We should have a pool on this one. I think that it's a first-year ('56) Sino-Soviet, possibly with an Arctic Birch stock. I can't read the numbers, but it looks like the stock has a serial number in the correct place for a Sino-Soviet. I also think that someone wire-brushed the thing quite a few years back, cleaning out some fairly minor pitting. It could be an NVA piece.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    OH SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke2: I clicked on his avatar. Something told me not to do that but I did thinking it WASN'T gonna' be what I thought it was, but it IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sad20::puke:

Snallygaster, you owe me a nice dinner for the one that I had tonight at SNI's that I just lost. It'll take a few days to get my appetite back after that ordeal.

Lol, yeah, I'll get something less vomity...:lol2:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    So I did ask him for papers and/or the complete "story." This is the response I received. Admittedly wasn't expecting much.

"Sorry, but not much of a story. I purchased it in app. 1976 from the gentleman that brought it back. He picked it up after a small fight that had left a few of the enemy dead and the rest took off. Sorry no papers. After he got back the papers got lost. Back then, Bring Back Papers didn't mean much, just like the gun boxes. Wish I had some of the ones that I threw away. I had started collecting SKS's and someone had given this man my phone number. He called and I met him and he needed money and I purchased it. Sorry, not much. The guy's name was Bob, never got his last name."

Should have it by or on Wednesday. Will post detailed pics as I'm not an SKS expert. I agree with the prevailing theory that this is early sino-soviet (based on serial number as provided and the rear sight), but who knows?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Should have it by or on Wednesday. Will post detailed pics as I'm not an SKS expert. I agree with the prevailing theory that this is early sino-soviet (based on serial number as provided and the rear sight), but who knows?

It's interesting that the rear sling swivel is on the bottom of the stock. I look forward to seeing better pics of it. I frankly don't know what to make of it at this point. The story is kind of anemic, and the gun is somewhat mixed.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    So I did ask him for papers and/or the complete "story." This is the response I received. Admittedly wasn't expecting much.

"Sorry, but not much of a story. I purchased it in app. 1976 from the gentleman that brought it back. He picked it up after a small fight that had left a few of the enemy dead and the rest took off. Sorry no papers. After he got back the papers got lost. Back then, Bring Back Papers didn't mean much, just like the gun boxes. Wish I had some of the ones that I threw away. I had started collecting SKS's and someone had given this man my phone number. He called and I met him and he needed money and I purchased it. Sorry, not much. The guy's name was Bob, never got his last name."

Unless it has a cyrillic letter actually in the SN, its not considered a Sino-Soviet. The rear sight does not identify it as a Sino-Soviet. 6 digit ones are just considered early chinese. fwiw.. :thumbsup:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

does not compute... You admit you were "collecting" SKS rifles but then cover your butt with the "im not a sks expert" :sad20:

shady

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    From the serial #, and the stock sling swivel, and LACK of Tula Star on sight ladder, I'm guessing it's a good looking '56 ghost rifle. I had one with a mismatched russian stock last fall, so until you see the real thing, we're just guessing.
    :)

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    So here it is. Clearly I'm not impressed. It was poorly packaged, with no protection at the bolt or muzzle. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418862645.939858.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418862656.138745.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418862668.005384.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418862677.139463.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom