• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I have a hard time justifying $300 for a beater SKS, when it seems like just yesterday that I bought an unissued SKS for under $200.

Then again, in another 5 years these might be going for twice that.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have a hard time justifying $300 for a beater SKS, when it seems like just yesterday that I bought an unissued SKS for under $200.

By just yesterday do you mean literally yesterday, or several years ago? The market has taken a huge turn. This is actually a pretty good price when you think about what you're getting. The stocks may be rough but they're very high quality rifles with a lot of history.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    By just yesterday do you mean literally yesterday, or several years ago? The market has taken a huge turn. This is actually a pretty good price when you think about what you're getting. The stocks may be rough but they're very high quality rifles with a lot of history.

The price is high because of regulation. Mint Russian SKSs sell for about $200 a pop in Canada.

I agree that these SKSs are quality rifles and have a rich history, my only point is that we are not paying a true market price here.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    The price is high because of regulation. Mint Russian SKSs sell for about $200 a pop in Canada.

I agree that these SKSs are quality rifles and have a rich history, my only point is that we are not paying a true market price here.

Very true, but we're stuck with the US market price since there's no chance of the ban being lifted any time soon.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I heard there was only 7 to begin with, luckily I snagged one. I'm just hoping these weren't some returns that were tucked away in the warehouse.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I heard there was only 7 to begin with, luckily I snagged one. I'm just hoping these weren't some returns that were tucked away in the warehouse.

I don't think AIM would do that. As recently as a few weeks ago they sold some M57 Toks at a steep discount that were missing the Yugo crest. If these SKSs are "seconds" I would think they would have discounted the price and said "no returns".

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

But we Americans start to jones and we are will to pay more for our "C"rack "R"ifle fixes.

The dealers ain't stupid.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I don't think AIM would do that. As recently as a few weeks ago they sold some M57 Toks at a steep discount that were missing the Yugo crest. If these SKSs are "seconds" I would think they would have discounted the price and said "no returns".

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Sometimes I hop on deals before I ask around, kinda have to when the supply is limited.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

It depends ... the unissued SKS that you bought was probably a Norinco made by one of several arsenals for the commercial market, rather than one made for the military. Norincos are good shooters, but they weren't made with the care of the early Jianshe rifles, and they don't have the military history that the Sino-Soviets have. Maybe the value lies in whether you are looking at the rifle to have as a "beater", or a piece of military history?

Last edited:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Aw come on man!

I just bought a VZ2008 (and successfully snuck it into the safe), and my first case of 7.62x39 (she didn't notice the new caliber either). And now, the fact that I formally had nothing that shot 7.62x39 being my only reluctance to buy one, is no longer a viable excuse.

You people are a bad influence!!!

Please stop!!!

(Note to self: Start hanging out with more "liberals".)
    :sad20:

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Aw come on man!

I just bought a VZ2008 (and successfully snuck it into the safe), and my first case of 7.62x39 (she didn't notice the new caliber either). And now, the fact that I formally had nothing that shot 7.62x39 being my only reluctance to buy one, is no longer a viable excuse.

You people are a bad influence!!!

Please stop!!!

(Note to self: Start hanging out with more "liberals".)
    :sad20:

You're a little late to the 7.62x39 party, I wish we could still buy more AK's :mad54:

Btw- there's a handful of other vendors with these type 56 rifles in stock.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Yeah. I'm still kicking myself for not getting a real AK while I still could.
    :(

You can still get a Vz. 58 aka VZ2008. Similar in appearance though entirely different operation (striker vs. hammer, short- vs. long-stroke piston, locking block vs. rotating bolt). They are reasonably priced and shoot the same round. Cash and carry in the Freedom-hating People's Republik of Marylandistan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom