NFA Sale Procedures If Moving Prior To Transfer??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm about to sell online an NFA item on a Form 4 in MD. I am NOT a Dealer, and I am moving permanently within two months.

If sold to an out of State Individual, This NFA Item goes from me to the Buyer's FFL/SOT on a form 4 ($200 ATF) and the Buyer then ALSO fills out a Form 4 ($200-ATF) to transfer it from the FFL/SOT to themselves- Correct??

Because I am moving shortly, I cannot "hold" this item for a Maryland Buyer or Maryland Trust to Trust (for 6 months) in State, until their ATF Form 4 Transfer is complete. That means if I sell to a Maryland Resident, I would have to send it to a Buyer's Maryland FFL/SOT on a Form 4 and the Buyer Also has to execute a Form 4 (and fees) to legally Transfer this item from the MD-FFL/SOTto themselves Correct?

I would say what the item is but I have not posted 50 times so I might get busted for trying to sell it in this question?? It is a REALLY nice little "Bullet Hose"- Hint- Hint...

Anyone in the Forum that can give a little input would be greatly appreciated-

-Shoot Straight, Live Long-

class3

Dec 13, 2007
    I would probably wait until you have fully moved before transferring it(assuming you are moving out of state). Just my opinion, it would be better to transfer the MG out-of-state. Form 4 to Form 3(SOT dealer) goes fairly more quickly than Form 4 to 4. Assuming it has been fully paid for, a lot can happen in 8 months or however long its taking these days.

Another option for the seller would be to get with a dealer in-state and transfer it to him, then advertise the gun on Subguns.com or GB with the perks that its "Already on a Form 3"

You may have to go down to the State Police barracks to finalize the transfer after the Form 4 is approved( Form 4 to Form 4) If someone has done this, they could give you better insight. Presuming its a mac, I would keep it!! ---

Gatekeeper

Jan 18, 2010
    Thank you Class Three

Thanks for the input. Transferring it to a MD FFL/SOT prior to a sale may be the way to go, but unfortunately these transfers (even to a Dealer), take enormous amounts of time. Time is what I do not have. I would like to get this Mac out of my possession. Some might disagree, but it will make my life and traveling, a lot simpler. Owning these things are not conducive to a Transient Life Style like Living in an RV or a Boat- moving and living from place to place for short amounts of time.

At any rate, a prospective Buyer will be aware of the Steps necessary to finally possess the Mac and I guess if you want it (like I did), you'll have patience and do what you gotta do.

I'll check out Sub Guns dot com. Didn't know about the site-
    Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom