• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I bought a VZ2008, and wanted to tacticool it out with an M4 stock. I bought an adapter but for the life of me I can't get the screw that holds the old folding stock on. I dremeled it out so it wasn't so shallow, nothing. I heated it with a torch to break thread locker, nothing. The head is now kind of gnarled up. I am about to give up, but I hate to admit defeat. Might be time to go see a professional IP. Any thoughts?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You're the third person I've heard of having issues getting that screw out. It's making me nervous bc I want to swap my folder out :ohnoes:
    I'm no gunsmith but I think a little shock would help, a la an impact driver. But you're a bit past that point now :(

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    I have seen nothing that says reverse threads. I figure worst case the smtith can cut a new thread perpendicular to the existing slot and impact wrench it out. I tried everything I could find on youtube. Im moving to a state taht does not allow folding stocks so that is the reason for the change. But boy its a challenge.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I looked at a youtube video to get an idea at what you are dealing with. It looks like a big screw. I've drilled out screws and broken bolts before. I just had to do one on my car. If you can start a hole in the center just keep increasing the bit size and eventually there isn't enough material left to cause any resistance and it will come out. Working in a trade where I have drilled and taped my own holes before helped me alot. To me it's all about having confidence in yourself to do the job. If it's out of your comfort zone then don't do it.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Left twist drills bits spun counter-clockwise are good for drilling broken bolts. Sometimes, the bit will bite the bolt and spin it out.

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Mine looked like it was dipped in thread locker.
    I used a little Bernzomatic torch from HD (about the size of a Sharpie).
    Heated it from both ends, when it reached the right temperature, the screw broke free with almost no effort.
    So much was left in the threads I had to heat it back up to get the new screw in.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    One of these and a breaker bar, ratchet, or if really tough, hammer-driven impact driver would be helpful too:

Drag link bit, available from auto parts store or tool supplier.

Attachments

• BWY_49979.jpg
      BWY_49979.jpg
      4.8 KB · Views: 343

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    One of these and a breaker bar, ratchet, or if really tough, hammer-driven impact driver would be helpful too:

Drag link bit, available from auto parts store or tool supplier.

Yeah, like I said earlier, an impact driver would do the trick at the beginning. Before you mangle the head of the bolt...

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Assuming I go the torch route are you heating just the heat or the thread end that is visible from inside the receiver? Any heat on the sides? I guess the lesson to this is loc tite works. Lol. This is my first experience with it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you can access the area, you only need heat around the threads.

If only the screw head is visible, get your flame as small as possible and apply heat to the top of the screw head only. The heat will work its way downward.

Big, fat, huge, heat warning. Too much heat will anneal (soften) any purposefully hardened steel areas/parts.

Apply heat for 10 seconds and try to break it loose. If it won't break loose, add a little more heat and try again. This is more of an art than a science and all jobs are different.

Good luck.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    SUCCESS. Thanks Shooters. It was not easy. Ended up torching the hell out of it, and using a damp towel to keep the receiver as cool as possible. Started to hear the loc tite sizzle and crackle. Did about 10 seconds head cooled the receiver with wet rag, more heat, too about 3 time. Screw drive wasn't working so I took a punch and a hammer and smashed it in the corner of the screw head. When it finally broke free and turned a quarter turn, I had to double check, I thought I was hallucinating. Thank God that little sucker finally admitted defeat, and now its off and my new adapter is on. That was easy. Monday my M4 stock and railed fore end come in the mail and it will be complete. Picture to follow. Thanks Again Shooters. Go Bruins.

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    Sorry for the late Pics Glad You Got it!:party29:

Attachments

• 20140420_185436.jpg
      20140420_185436.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 268
    • 20140420_185445.jpg
      20140420_185445.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 254
    • 20140420_185531.jpg
      20140420_185531.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 259
    • 20140420_185624.jpg
      20140420_185624.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 258
    • 20140420_185634.jpg
      20140420_185634.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 254
    • 20140420_185719.jpg
      20140420_185719.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 254

mitchugh

Feb 3, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Any of you guys who successfully removed their folding stock willing to part with the screw??? I am in the need of a folding stock screw for my vz and I can't seem to find a source for them. Czech Point is out of stock, I did come across www.vz58rifle.com/ but I'm not really sure I'm comfortable ordering out of county. I didn't realize how obscure this little screw was going to be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom