• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I'm about to start the paperwork to receive an NFA item from someone, but just got the opportunity for a 3 year assignment to Japan. Is it possible to still complete the paperwork and when the stamps come back have the seller deliver it to my house I own in Maryland? My brother would be living there and it would be locked up the entire time.

Otherwise, I suppose I could arrange for a trip back during the holidays and take receipt of it then. Now that I typed this up, it sounds like option 2 would be the safer thing to do, but I'm curious if option 1 would work since the previous owner still has possession and it would be an in-state transfer.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thats such an odd one, I just don't know. My guess is that the ATF would not allow anyone but you to take possession but there almost has to be an exception for Soldiers who get called up and shipped off for a year without much notice. I would give the ATF a call and explain your position.

Oh the other hand, three years in Japan with no guns to shoot... I think I would skip that offer!

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I ran into a similar situation with my first suppressor while previously deployed to Afghanistan. My FFL called up the ATF and pretty much told them, you're (govt.) the reason he's over there... they had no problem as long as I was on military/govt orders. I would still call the ATF anyway and let them know your situation. Don't mention Japan, just mention you'll be out of the country on orders. That's all they need to know.

I have a different question. Can someone who's a "Trustee" of the NFA trust sign/pickup the item? I've read through my trust documentation, and the trustees do have limited power over the NFA items. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to? Any opinions?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Each Trustee has full power. So yes the answer is NFA trust, with brother as trustee.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    It sounds like my best option is to try to find a flight home using something called Environmental and Morale Leave. Hopefully plane tickets are a lot cheaper when you're on orders.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    NFA trusts are not a ton of money.

Unless you're getting a steep ticket discount, a trust would be cheaper than round trip from Japan and you'd have the benefit of using it going forward. Solves any future logistical NFA issues you might have while overseas too.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I have enough frequent flyer miles to make it back, but I e-mailed Rusty to get the info on how to start a trust. Hopefully the paperwork can be sorted out in the next 2 weeks in time to start the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom