• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tzsz10

Apr 10, 2014
    seblyville delaware
    I stated that I have the marlin model 60 and it is a blast shooting, buI am learning I cant stop at this gun. I want another and at me time spent looking I can't determine if I want bolt action or semi. I am really liking the ruger 1022 just because of all the upgrades but also seened quite a few bolt actions that iI think would be fun for target shooting.

So I guess what I am getting at is some opinions for a new guy like myself

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    You need both. I have an old Rem bolt action that is as old as me (50yrs) at least and I love it.

Major Major

Feb 19, 2013
    Frederick Co
    I stated that I have the marlin model 60 and it is a blast shooting, buI am learning I cant stop at this gun. I want another and at me time spent looking I can't determine if I want bolt action or semi. I am really liking the ruger 1022 just because of all the upgrades but also seened quite a few bolt actions that iI think would be fun for target shooting.

So I guess what I am getting at is some opinions for a new guy like myself
    I have an old rem 121 pump. You can find them around for a few hundred. 14 rounds in the tube, fires as fast or as leisurely as you like. Readings hardware in Gettysburg always seems to have a few barrels of old 22lr rifles looking for a home

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Better idea. Get a Henry lever action. You can shoot 22 lr, l and s. It's like a bolt action but better.
    The Model 60 is a great little semi so you have that covered. 10/22 is a good gun too but in the end it's your money.

tzsz10

Apr 10, 2014
    seblyville delaware
    I have seen the lever action Henry and they look like a lot of fun too. But at the moment iI don't have $500 out for a gun and the ones at gander mountain are that price.

now for the bolt action what is a good starter gun iI seen a savage bolt action that I liked there for 279

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I just picked up a savage mkII-f for $220 probably could be had cheaper if you look around.It's just a plain iron sight bolt action but its drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I just wanted something simple to teach the kids with in a few years.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some guy was putting his Henry .22 on consignment when I picked up my Uberti 1860. He wanted $350 for it. I got a smokin' deal on the 1860, but had no cash left for the .22.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have an old rem 121 pump. You can find them around for a few hundred. 14 rounds in the tube, fires as fast or as leisurely as you like. Readings hardware in Gettysburg always seems to have a few barrels of old 22lr rifles looking for a home
    Shot many a tin can with our old 121 - shorts, longs and long rifle. I guess Dad bought what was available.

You can replace everything on a Ruger 10-22 and I have one, that has been modified but I will never get rid of the 121.

tzsz10

Apr 10, 2014
    seblyville delaware
    Wow that is better prices. Where is buds gun shop located at.
    180 For a savage with scope bolt actI can handle that for sure
    why is it that on bass pro website youcan't use PayPal to pay PayPal is much easier for me to use as my wife let's me use that as my play money as I buy and sell whiskey bottles

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You can find a used Browning BL-22 lever used for under $500. Saw one in Easton MD gunshow last fall for $425 asking price. Just a few light handling marks and some finish wear on both wood and blue but generally nice shape. You can also get a used Marlin 39 variant for $300 - $500 (as long as it isn't one of the really old ones or some special variant - most on gunbroker for much more than that are 60's or earlier and/or exceptional shape). A Marlin was on that Bud's site you have just a couple months back with light handling marks and some blue wear for, IIRC, $375

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For $500 , that Henry must have been a Golden Boy. The steel Frames I recall as in the $200 somthing range.

Marlin and Davage make reasonable priced newly mfg .22 bolts. There are boat loads of older .22 bolts out there. I would specifically mention the Remington Models 51x , but I don't want you competeing with me for them.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I've been looking at BOTH the bolt action Marlin XT22 and the Marlin 795 semi-auto in stainless. I prefer the magazine instead of the tube, thus the XT22.

Although the corresponding actions from Savage look good also.

Go with both. In blued version, their inexpensive enough for both.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Check out the Ruger American Rimfire bolt action. We love ours! Nice feature that you can easily change out stock pieces for a raised comb, or shorter length of pull. Also uses commonly available 10/22 mags. We paid $285.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For target shooting accuracy you cant beat a bolt action, target shooters that don't have a timed fire requirement use bolt actions because the positive lock up and accuracy is better with a bolt.
    For a fun gun for burning lots of ammo you can't beat a 10/22.
    Lever and pump guns fall in between.

Serious target shooters spend serious money for the best target rifles but good training rifles are available at lower cost both new and used. For an example of both a beginner and a higher level quality target .22 take a look at what the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) sells to their affiliated shooting clubs, The Savage Mark I and Mark II for beginners and the Anschutz Model 1903 for advanced. Look for rifles with similar specifications and prices depending on your personal interests.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22commercial.htm

Unfortunately you missed out on the best .22 target rifle sale ever last year when CMP sold out the so called "Rusty" Kimber Model 82 G training rifles new in box at $425 each, now selling for $800-$1000 on Gun Broker.

Before buying visit some shooting clubs that do .22 target shooting near you and look at what they are using, a respectful attitude with intelligent questions will probably get you a chance to try out some. Look for clubs here:

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

http://findnra.nra.org/

http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom