• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Just took delivery on my Ruger Alaskan. The front site is a black finished blade. My eyes have a difficult time picking it up, so I am considering changing it out for a fiberoptic site. In reviewing the procedure on youtube it seems that I must drill a hole in the site blade to align with the hole in the frame, and drive a roll pin in to secure it. Is it possible to instead secure it with crazy glue? I realize it would become non removable, just thinking outside the box. I am unsure how I would mark the site blade for proper alignment of the hole.

Apr 15, 2013
    Is it possible to instead secure it with crazy glue?

No.

Crazy glue (or any other cyanoacrylate adhesive) is not going to hold metal to metal. It may sit in place for a while, but as soon as you fire the gun the part is gone.

You might have better luck with epoxy (jb weld or similar), but again luck is the operative word. Sooner or later the adhesive will fail, and you will be unsighted.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Just took delivery on my Ruger Alaskan. The front site is a black finished blade. My eyes have a difficult time picking it up, so I am considering changing it out for a fiberoptic site. In reviewing the procedure on youtube it seems that I must drill a hole in the site blade to align with the hole in the frame, and drive a roll pin in to secure it. Is it possible to instead secure it with crazy glue? I realize it would become non removable, just thinking outside the box. I am unsure how I would mark the site blade for proper alignment of the hole.

:needpics: :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You hold the site in with a soft clamp like used for wood projects and then use a power drill with a carbide bit to drill the hole. Go a little from each side and meet in the middle, dont drill just from one side. Insert roll pin and your done.

Go slow.

No super glue won't likely hold up from the blast concussion. If you are dead set on not drilling green loctite (sleeve retainer) may be your best bet, but I wouldn't recommend it durability wise.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Thye only option for sights that will fit seems to be Hiviz. I hav never heard of that company. Any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom