Scopes - Any benefits/drawbacks to a 30mm tube?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Guys,

Got a semi-custom .243 on the way w/24" fluted barrel (bolt action) and plan on using it for double duty (e.g., whistle pigs, coyotes & deer) out to 300 yds. I've always pretty much used 1" scopes w/ 40-42 mm objectives and I'm finding as I get older, the more magnification the better. I've been looking around and I think I'm going to go with a Leupold VX-3 6.5 to 20 with the 30 mm tube (40 mm objective). Anything I need to consider on this? (e.g., mounting height, clearance over ejection port, etc.).

Thanks!

ST.243

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Disadvantages? Not that I'm aware of. Many optic manufacturers have been transitioning over to the 30mm scope body - and in some cases, the 34mm.

The 1" body has for the most part been relegated to rimfire and muzzleloader/shotgun scopes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Larger scope tube means more adjustment range for longer range shooting.

If you don't need it, it doesn't hurt anything.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Guys,

Got a semi-custom .243 on the way w/24" fluted barrel (bolt action) and plan on using it for double duty (e.g., whistle pigs, coyotes & deer) out to 300 yds. I've always pretty much used 1" scopes w/ 40-42 mm objectives and I'm finding as I get older, the more magnification the better. I've been looking around and I think I'm going to go with a Leupold VX-3 6.5 to 20 with the 30 mm tube (40 mm objective). Anything I need to consider on this? (e.g., mounting height, clearance over ejection port, etc.).

Thanks!

ST.243

That's funny. Today I test-mounted a 30mm scope with a 50mm bell on my .243 'double duty' X-bolt. With my LOP and head position, it actually fit with the low Talley rings I had ordered for it. After everything was in place, I thought, 'dammn, there is no room left to eject a case'.
    I dont load live rounds in my house and I dont have any .243 cases lying around so I couldn't test it, but yes it is awfully snug with the low bases and a 30mm tube.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    That's funny. Today I test-mounted a 30mm scope with a 50mm bell on my .243 'double duty' X-bolt. With my LOP and head position, it actually fit with the low Talley rings I had ordered for it. After everything was in place, I thought, 'dammn, there is no room left to eject a case'.
    I dont load live rounds in my house and I dont have any .243 cases lying around so I couldn't test it, but yes it is awfully snug with the low bases and a 30mm tube.

Thanks for the information. This particular scope will be going on a Cooper Custom Classic. I was thinking about low vs. medium rings and I'll probably be better off with the later. I'm surprised you had a problem with the 50 mm objective. Seems like that would have lifted it higher off the axis of the bore. At any rate, thanks for the input!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Thanks for the information. This particular scope will be going on a Cooper Custom Classic. I was thinking about low vs. medium rings and I'll probably be better off with the later. I'm surprised you had a problem with the 50 mm objective. Seems like that would have lifted it higher off the axis of the bore. At any rate, thanks for the input!

Took it to the range and cycled a couple of rounds through it. Although it fits snug, there was no issue ejecting. I actually ordered the medium height rings (that Browning recommends) to gain the ability to move the scope back a bit if I wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom