• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I think that I'm a fairly tolerant fellow and that it takes a bit to get me worked up, but the staff at Dick's (Bel Air branch in Harford county) managed to get my goat within 10 minutes of walking in the door :mad54:. 2 items were simply horrendously bad customer service, and 1 item sounds like a worrisome policy shift at Dick's. In chronological order (beginnning at 10:30am today):

1) [Bad Service] I went to the hunting/shooting department to get some shotgun ammo for skeet and check out the .22LR ammo. I told the employee on station I planned to test out a variety of .22LR in the target pistol I just bought (Ruger Mk. III) to see what reliably worked best for accuracy and what worked best for economical plinking practice, and so wanted to scope out the available choices. The employee (older fellow with a brusque demeanor) in short order expressed
    (a) that he was busy and did not have time to discuss or place different boxes of .22LRs on the counter
    (b) that it did not matter what I thought I knew, this (the most expensive box of .22LR) is what I needed to buy
    (c) when I asked to step behind the counter with him present so I could read the boxes, "can't you read the sign, no one but employees behind the counter" (despite that I said I am nearsighted, and that he couldn't be bothered to move the boxes to the counter save the most expensive one)

2) [Bad Service] Slightly ticked off, I left the hunting/shooting department with just a case of shotshells for skeet. While getting checked out at the register, I asked "The case discount came off, right?". A good thing I did, because the girl at the register just rang up the 10 boxes at full price. She queried someone through the in-store communications, then declared the answer that Dick's does not have case discounts on shotgun ammo, despite the signs they have up for the last 2 years that I've been dropping by Dick's.

3) [Worrisome policy change] Finally, when I was about to get the shotgun ammo anyway since I plan to do some skeet later the cashier girl says that Dick's has a new policy for ammunition. She says she needs my MD Driver's License so she can enter my data for the sale, and she wants me to attest on the credit card pad's LCD screen menu that I am a US citizen. WTF?!

Three strikes and I'm out, and I have to plans to return to Dick's. If I want basic shotgun ammo for skeet, Walmart ammo works just as well in my OU, and after politely asking Walmart will let me step behind the counter to read the ammo boxes.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well that's lame. As I said in the Wal-Mart Handgun Sales thread, these people don't give 2 flying Fs about helping anyone. They're probably making minimum wage or not much over it, and spend 80% of their time stocking T-Shirts and sneakers, or mopping the floor, why should they care what you want?

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    The best part is that they have illegally decided to discriminate against non-citizens. Legal residents of the U.S. may purchase and own firearms. Of course they may have been granted a "waiver" by His Majesty, The Light Worker, Vacation Golfer in Chief, Guardian of the Holy Cities of Chicago and Honolulu, etc.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I used to pick up .22 and shotgun shells at Dick's occasionally...never again if that's the new ammo policy.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    What I'd do is call the store and ask for the manager's name, and make sure this is the right address:

540 West Macphail Road
    Bel Air, MD 21014
    Phone: (410)638-7404

Then I'd type out your post and mail it to the manager, mark it as CC: to "Customer Service VP" at Dick's national HQ, and send a copy there too. Might have no effect, but the last two times I did this, I got someone's attention and an immediate response.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I picked up a couple of bricks of CCI Standard Velocity at Dick's last weekend and had no issues or ID check. The only bad thing was that they increased the price by a couple of bucks.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    You know its funny that you have posted this. Because I was considering posting about my visit to the Dicks in Hunt Valley. I shop there A Lot. But I think that may change. The guy behind the counter was deff a Company Name Sake. He threw my box of ammo on the counter after making it seem my 7 minute wait for some one to come to the counter, was just a huge bother to him. After he threw the box up in the counter he started to walk to the back again. I said I'm not done, he turned and sighed, "what else"? I said some other boxes which again were quickly thrown on the counter. All in all I had to stop him from making his escape 3 times before I got what I came for. As I was leaving, I apologized to him for making him wait on a customer.:rolleyes: Then I asked him, wasn't that on the application? You know actually doing some work?? He just gave me a crappy look, said what ever, do you need any thing else? I said no thank you and left the boxes on the counter..:D

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    What I'd do is call the store and ask for the manager's name, and make sure this is the right address:

540 West Macphail Road
    Bel Air, MD 21014
    Phone: (410)638-7404

Then I'd type out your post and mail it to the manager, mark it as CC: to "Customer Service VP" at Dick's national HQ, and send a copy there too. Might have no effect, but the last two times I did this, I got someone's attention and an immediate response.

That is definitely the address, I'm fairly familiar with it. I often use google maps to pull up the location of a store along with its phone number. That way I make sure I'm calling the right store to see if something is in stock or on sale before driving.

Depending on how much inclination I have later, I may follow through with your suggestion. There might be an effect for the 2 bad customer service items, but the policy change is more of a deal-breaker for me. I can deal with a irritable old goat of an employee if I can catch ammo at a good price, but no way am I feeding my name, address, ammo purchases, and citizenship status into a computer. Also, given that the cash register computer and credit card pinpad had software loaded into them to require data entry, that means the policy decision was at a high enough level to have the Dick's corporate IT guys change their computer programs. Definitely not a policy change at the store manager level.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I knows Dicks and Walmart may be cheap, but can you imagine that ever happeing at say...GC??? I can't. (Moral here: support you local shops.)

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    You know its funny that you have posted this. Because I was considering posting about my visit to the Dicks in Hunt Valley. I shop there A Lot. But I think that may change. The guy behind the counter was deff a Company Name Sake. He threw my box of ammo on the counter after making it seem my 7 minute wait for some one to come to the counter, was just a huge bother to him. After he threw the box up in the counter he started to walk to the back again. I said I'm not done, he turned and sighed, "what else"? I said some other boxes which again were quickly thrown on the counter. All in all I had to stop him from making his escape 3 times before I got what I came for. As I was leaving, I apologized to him for making him wait on a customer.:rolleyes: Then I asked him, wasn't that on the application? You know actually doing some work?? He just gave me a crappy look, said what ever, do you need any thing else? I said no thank you and left the boxes on the counter..:D

:party29: VERY GOOD!!

Mr H

Banana'd
    You know its funny that you have posted this. Because I was considering posting about my visit to the Dicks in Hunt Valley. I shop there A Lot. But I think that may change.

Interesting...

I go there probably once a week to kill some time away from my desk, and the midday crew is usually pretty attentive, sometimes bordering on obsequious!

The thing I can't stand, though, is on the off chance I actually do buy something I get the checkout badgering about getting a Scorecard. No, thanks...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Crap the Waldorf Dick's and La Plata Wal Mart are nothing like those. I usually go in BS with the counter people show them pics of what I have done to my purchases and discuss future builds. Buy ammo and guns with no hassles whatsoever.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    In fairness, I must say that my experience today has not always been the case. There are two younger employees who I have chatted with at the Bel Air Dick's before. They were happy to talk about various things, discuss and bring over products, etc.

Today I just had the luck to get the 'Sour Lemon' employee of the month (who probably was also the guy who told the cashier girl that case discounts did not exist) and the new crappy corporate policy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The best part is that they have illegally decided to discriminate against non-citizens. Legal residents of the U.S. may purchase and own firearms.

Maybe that was their intention, but I didn't read anything that the OP read that said they wouldn't make the sale if the person declined. Also, it appeared to be part of the CC transaction, not the ammo sale itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom